What have you done to your bike today....

T

The Departed

Does anyone use STA-BIL Stabil Fuel Stabilizer? Mines going to be stood there till next season, and one heard good and bad things about it's usage

T

The Departed

The one thing to notice is that it states on stabil label "Only use with fresh fuel only" so before storage you would need to drain the old fuel off

Yes it's just one persons view, somethings better than nothing "right"

I prefer real-world experience responses to a 'lab' setup. How the bike felt after 3/6 months non starting etc. Instead of draining the fuel off, surely running the engine once a week works, or would that cause other forms of damage?

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
running the engine once a week works, or would that cause other forms of damage?
If the machine is not going to be used for a long period starting it once a week would only cause condensation in the engine / exhaust after shut down and cooling so I don't do it.

Place bike up off its wheels and connect a battery conditioner to the bike or remove the battery and connect it too said conditioner then either drain fuel or use the additive of choice, also as I do plug the silencers with those rubber bungs as used when washing bikes and give the bike a clean and I spray the machine in a preservative like that GT oil or whatever floats your boat.

T

The Departed

If the machine is not going to be used for a long period starting it once a week would only cause condensation in the engine / exhaust after shut down and cooling so I don't do it.

Place bike up off its wheels and connect a battery conditioner to the bike or remove the battery and connect it too said conditioner then either drain fuel or use the additive of choice, also as I do plug the silencers with those rubber bungs as used when washing bikes and give the bike a clean and I spray the machine in a preservative like that GT oil or whatever floats your boat.
That's why I do and use the butt plug as it's no longer used.

stevethegoolie

Sword of Fenrir
I have used various fuel stabilizers in the past, plus a goodly slug of Redex and some of that 'fuel dry' (Wynns perhaps?) stuff to mitigate the effects of ethanol and its ability to absorb water which then sinks to the bottom of the tank causing rust. Never had any problems when I put the bike back on the road - even after over 7 months of inaction.

I know nothing about the butt plugs of which you all speak so eloquently!