What have you done to your bike today....

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Wow, that's a bummer! - Was it caused by something large picked up on the tyre?
Been a lot of debris on the road recently and I have snagged a few bits of dry stone wall that collapsed onto the road recently causing me a close call..I did stop at the time and cleared the road of rocks but I obviously failed to spot any cracks in the plastic hugger at the time and I suspect it got worse during the week..it explains the vibration I could hear though and proves I wasn't being paranoid..

Old Nick

Legendary Knight
I noticed some serious vibration noises earlier in the week going work and back but just couldn't figure it out as it sounded like it was at the front of the bike..whilst doing my weekly Sunday maintenance checks and cleaning I found the rear hugger and completely split in two fastening places and was only holding on by less than a centimetre of unsplit plastic where the chain guard is..I suppose ive been lucky it didn't cause any serious damage or an off and worse...
+1 for the weekly clean and check over (y)

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Nice one @Don the Don
Plenty to look at there..👍👍👍🦆
These are smart in carbon look...

Beware of the cheap £35 ones on Ebay. They don't include a chain guard. They fit in conjunction with the original chain guard which I don't have, & I'm fairly sure I didn't give it to you.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
These are smart in carbon look...

Beware of the cheap £35 ones on Ebay. They don't include a chain guard. They fit in conjunction with the original chain guard which I don't have, & I'm fairly sure I didn't give it to you.
I won't go cheap...
Sooner pay the extra and get something substantial in quality...

chas

Legendary Knight
I noticed some serious vibration noises earlier in the week going work and back but just couldn't figure it out as it sounded like it was at the front of the bike..whilst doing my weekly Sunday maintenance checks and cleaning I found the rear hugger had completely split in two fastening places and was only holding on by less than a centimetre of unsplit plastic where the chain guard is..I suppose ive been lucky it didn't cause any serious damage or an off and worse...
Did you get a warranty when you bought the bike? :D

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Did you get a warranty when you bought the bike? :D
Yes, of course he did.
It was for 3 months & fully inclusive of all parts & labour. It even included a loan vehicle &/or hotel accommodation while the fault was rectified. All meals/drinks were also included. As well as £100 a day spending money.
He picked it up on "Star Wars Day" aka May the fourth.
The warranty also specifically excluded damage caused by riding over dirty great chunks of dry stone wall! Whilst pretending to be Dougie Lampkin 😏

Public Enemy

Enforcer
Staff member
Yes, of course he did.
It was for 3 months & fully inclusive of all parts & labour. It even included a loan vehicle &/or hotel accommodation while the fault was rectified. All meals/drinks were also included. As well as £100 a day spending money.
He picked it up on "Star Wars Day" aka May the fourth 😉
How unfortunate that this clear case of structural failure should occur so soon after you generous warranty period had expired.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
I went out to get the parking light on my Triumph Sprint working and a general check-up prior to putting it through an MOT this week. Went to start her and 'click,click' was all I got. Checked the battery - Fully charged. Thought it might be the clutch switch as I had recently put shorty levers on and they might not be activating the switch properly but that seemed OK. Gave the wiring loom from the left hand switch cluster a wiggle inside the fairing and then she started so it was fairing off time, swapped the left hand cluster (Someone in the bikes earlier life had fed the wiring over the headlamp in such a way that it was jammed in between the light unit and it's subframe) for one from my scrapped RS. I then noticed that, because I had moved the front wheel as far forward as it would go so I could get a 48 tooth sprocket on, the tyre was rubbing against the hugger so it was time to get the back wheel off and swap the sprocket for a 44 teeth one. A five minute job turned into a couple of hours working in miserable drizzle outside the shed. At least she is now ready to go for MOT I suppose.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Yes, of course he did.
He picked it up on "Star Wars Day" aka May the fourth.
The warranty also specifically excluded damage caused by riding over dirty great chunks of dry stone wall! Whilst pretending to be Dougie Lampkin 😏
I've know of Dougal the dog from the magic roundabout the long haired hippy..I hated him..
However I have no idea who Mr lampkin is 😳🦆

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
That's a pure bastard mate. Most of us have been there, or in the neighbourhood.

At least a constant problem is easier to diagnose, it's looking like coils innit.
It is.... On both counts.

Have to wait as I have 2 dogs to vaccinate this month (£110, the 'Highland vet' you see on the telly. ) a windscreen to replace, (£100 excess) and a few other things that all fell in at the wrong time. Bank account is looking.... Well, there's naught to stop the wind blowing through. Last couple of months the same, more needing to go out than coming in. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

T

The Departed

I had my first ride since the accident, and physically, everything is ok; I did about 10 miles over and through town, then a couple of twisties, nothing to push me, simply kept under 6k revs, it was only when I went to overtake did I learn she is a bit of an animal at 6k+. The RS is a different style of riding I am used to, but I will get used to it as it's hushed till it hits 6k, then she's like, ok, let's go! Whereas historically, my bikes have always been straight in from the go.

A lot to do; I may not have had the right riding mode set, suspension needs adjusting, and she's a lot thinner/lighter than the R and feels higher, which is nice.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
I had my first ride since the accident, and physically, everything is ok; I did about 10 miles over and through town, then a couple of twisties, nothing to push me, simply kept under 6k revs, it was only when I went to overtake did I learn she is a bit of an animal at 6k+. The RS is a different style of riding I am used to, but I will get used to it as it's hushed till it hits 6k, then she's like, ok, let's go! Whereas historically, my bikes have always been straight in from the go.

A lot to do; I may not have had the right riding mode set, suspension needs adjusting, and she's a lot thinner/lighter than the R and feels higher, which is nice.

Good to hear you're back riding (y) ...enjoy 😁