What have you done to your bike today....

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Yes it does, but was well below the lower level so filled it up to upper point which when run and left to settle gets me to just over the mid point in the inspection window(y)
MMmm, I would run it get it warm check all over for any oil leaks and also the smoke for signs of burning oil, after a good run [hard this time of year] check again and plugs for oily residue

I won't be insulting and ask about the right oil

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Yes it does, but was well below the lower level so filled it up to upper point which when run and left to settle gets me to just over the mid point in the inspection window(y)
I'd fill it too the upper line Nick. Then check it once a week & take a note of the mileage at each check.
Ensure that the bike is in exactly the same place when you check the oil level.
If you're checking it on your patio? There's a chance that not all the slabs are billiard table flat.
As for your question of is 150ml in 3000 miles normal? I'd say no mate. I like to see zero oil usage between services.

Old Nick

Legendary Knight
I'd fill it too the upper line Nick. Then check it once a week & take a note of the mileage at each check.
Ensure that the bike is in exactly the same place when you check the oil level.
If you're checking it on your patio? There's a chance that not all the slabs are billiard table flat.
As for your question of is 150ml in 3000 miles normal? I'd say no mate. I like to see zero oil usage between services.
Cheers Jez I’ll do that as well - and yes checking on the patio which is definitely not billiard table smooth or flat:)

Old Nick

Legendary Knight
How many total miles? I would be inclined to suspect an error in original measurement if you’ve no leaks or smoking. (Oil filter?) On a low mileage bike you can sometimes find leaky rings because it has never been thrashed enough to bed in. It’s a bloody good fun way to see if it smokes!
She’s done 26k and I haven’t noticed smoking (although now I will be looking) also haven’t seen any leaks - certainly nothing where she’s parked at home(y)

A jolly good thrashing is on the cards anyway:)

User error is entirely possible but the level in the window (with bike vertical on paddock stand) is now about right

I think Don and Jez’s advice is sound and I’ll monitor closely to see how big the problem is and then see what to do next(y)

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Do you run her regularly on the stand (possibly side stand) when not in regular use? A lot of bikes and particulary my Triumph triples seem to use a eat oil when they are kept regularly 'turned over' during the winter. I believe this is a common observation on the triples at least. Maybe it's a liquid cooled thing as my Bonnie's don't use a drop.

Old Nick

Legendary Knight
Do you run her regularly on the stand (possibly side stand) when not in regular use? A lot of bikes and particulary my Triumph triples seem to use a eat oil when they are kept regularly 'turned over' during the winter. I believe this is a common observation on the triples at least. Maybe it's a liquid cooled thing as my Bonnie's don't use a drop.
No mate I rarely run her when she’s on the stand but it’s an interesting point(y)

chas

Legendary Knight
The Triples that we own are known to be greedy for a bit of oil. Some engines are, 80s Kwaks were oil hungry iirc.

As to @Old Nick 's bike, just keep an eye on it mate. My gut is you've got nothing to worry about and you're being a poof. ;)