A Question About Vehicle Make, Model etc Info

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Hi Gents,

When you go to a website like Euro Car Parts & enter your reg number. Or you do the same on a car/bike insurance website.
Where does the info about make, model, year etc etc that pops up come from?

I always thought it was from the DVLA but apparently not 🤔

half ton

Legendary Knight
Hi Gents,

When you go to a website like Euro Car Parts & enter your reg number. Or you do the same on a car/bike insurance website.
Where does the info about make, model, year etc etc that pops up come from?

I always thought it was from the DVLA but apparently not 🤔
Had a think about it and don't like where my thoughts were heading, If it's not the DVLA then are they keeping the info safely (I doubt it) they probably know when I last picked my nose :mad:

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
The reason I'm asking is since I added a private plate to my recently acquired Merc. The reg number isn't recognised on 90% of insurance comparison sites, Euro Car Parts or Halfords etc etc. However that might be because I only did the plate transfer last Friday afternoon? But normally the change over is instant. And in this instance the DVLA online info is all 100% correct.

But more worrying, the 10% of websites that do recognise the reg number. Have it listed as an older model of a similar Merc.
Yet the V5 (Logbook) shows all of the correct info. Hence why I'm saying the incorrect info isn't coming via the DVLA.

Obviously, this needs to be rectified especially from an insurance perspective.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
It took 6 days for the various database's to update.
It's never taken that long before, but I'm glad that it's sorted now 🙂

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Always amazes me how a computerised system takes days to update. I thought these automated systems were supposed to do things like this without the need for human input.

Thoughts now leaning to a bunch of computers sat in a basement, cigars hanging out of the usb inputs, all playing cards, saying "Fuck the man!"