Covid

Judd Dredd

Merlin, Giver Of Drugs & Magic Potions.
Staff member
The Pfizer/BioNTech anti-Covid vaccine has arrived in the UK and is now being rolled out. There will be two vaccinations per person, administered 21 days apart.

However, there are some rumours circulating which may raise concerns about people getting the vaccine, and I would like to share some information;

Why has this vaccine been made, and approved, so quickly? Is it safe?
Over the past ten months, the scientific community have learnt much about Covid-19, and lots of money, time and effort has gone into speeding up the vaccine development process. This has all been carried out according to strict protocols.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), the regulatory body in the UK, has been receiving information on the Pfizer vaccine on a rolling basis since the trials began. They have not cut any corners by approving it early, and have carried out all of the required safety assessments on the data.

Is the vaccine safe?
The clinical trial involved 44,000 people. These were very carefully monitored and any serious side effects were reported. This is a requirement of all clinical trials.
The vaccine uses new technology and is made of Ribonucleic acid, also known as RNA. This allows a person's own cells to produce the vaccine antigens and generate an immune response. This does not interfere with a person’s own genetic material.

Are there any side effects?
It is extremely unlikely that people will experience any side effects, but the MHRA has recommended that people who have a history of a significant allergic reactions to a vaccine, medicine, or food that has resulted in anaphylaxis, administration of adrenaline and or hospital admission should not receive the Covid-19 vaccine.
The MHRA has a ‘yellow card’ programme and this allows people to report side effects of any medicines either to the agency themselves, or via their GP or pharmacist. The fact that the allergic reaction was identified so rapidly shows that the system can react swiftly to ensure that any adverse effects are dealt with. After receiving the vaccine, people will be asked to wait for 15 minutes before they leave the clinic so that any immediate side effects can be identified.

Can pregnant women have it?
While the Covid-19 vaccine has a good safety profile, the vaccine has still to be assessed in pregnancy as this was not included in the original trial. It is recommended that if you're pregnant, planning a pregnancy in the immediate future or are breastfeeding you shouldn't have the vaccine until more information is available.

Can I still carry the virus after being vaccinated?
Although the vaccine prevents the virus attacking your cells and developing the Covid symptoms, it is not yet known whether you can still carry the virus and spread it to others who may not yet be vaccinated. Therefore, we must all continue to adhere to the current public health guidelines. Over time, as a greater number of the population are vaccinated, it is likely that the restrictions will gradually be eased.

What about the flu vaccine?
It is likely that people who have the flu may be at greater risk to developing more severe Covid-19 symptoms. Therefore, I would urge you all to get the flu vaccine and be protected – however, there should be seven days between receiving the flu vaccine, and the Covid-19 vaccination.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Top marks to these guys It's a way forward

Mouthwash can do it in 30 seconds 😜

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54971650
https://www.dentistry.co.uk/2020/11/17/mouthwash-can-kill-coronavirus-seconds/

Which means that fresh breath sprays like this https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Wisdom-Fresh-Breath-Spray-12-5ml/dp/B0016BHZPA might also kill the virus, as it also contains the same active ingredient.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Hi @Judd Dredd,

A good friend of mine is an eminent physician who is held in extremely high regard by the worlds medical profession. And he's had numerous articles featured in the Lancet. You may of heard of him? His name is Dr @Public Enemy

Has told me that those folk with a penicillin allergy can't have the vaccine, is that correct?

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
The Army has designed a nose inhaler that kills the bacteria 99.999%.

Because it's you that's posting that BB3. I thought it was a wind-up but it appears to be genuine.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
The Army has designed a nose inhaler that kills the bacteria 99.999%.

The Army designed diddly squat. It was a contractor!

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Hi @Judd Dredd,

A good friend of mine is an eminent physician who is held in extremely high regard by the worlds medical profession. And he's had numerous articles featured in the Lancet. You may of heard of him? His name is Dr @Public Enemy

Has told me that those folk with a penicillin allergy can't have the vaccine, is that correct?
Dunno but the ‘significant medical event’ count seems to be running at about 3%. Possibly because of the codgers getting it or because a lot of people die within 100 days of getting a haircut. My favourite statistics quote is that ‘stats should be used as a drunk uses a lamppost - for support, not illumination.’

Scrappy

Legendary Knight

Watch the above for an explaination of the data, then look again at the graph below and notice the peaks around this time of year in 2017 and 2018 being higher than now :unsure:

Screenshot 2021-01-02 160005.png

Last edited: