Jacks Hill Cafe Shuts After Over 60yrs

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Bloody Hell, that's a real shame, and a surprise as I think in the right ownership and with some imagination the place could have been a gold mine.
The first thing that popped into my head was a mobile catering van with the owners of jacks Hill charging them a corkage fee.
That way the meets/events could still take place. And the catering van wouldn't have to be there fulltime.
All it would take is a few porta-loos to comply with H&S.

But, you are correct Scrappy. A revised menu with better quality ingredients, at fair prices. And it does have the potential to be a gold mine.
Having said that. How busy is the place inbetween meets/shows? 🤔 I never called in on a midweek lunchtime.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Having said that. How busy is the place inbetween meets/shows? 🤔

That's probably the issue, the potential is there because 5 mins down the road is the Super Sausage which is always busy. Jacks Hill Cafe is bigger, with a bigger car park. I've been to JHC a couple of times recently on a Sunday morning, and there were only a handful of bikes, but afterwards rode past the SS and it was full 🤔 So with decent food, and maybe a bit more imagination to attract bikers regularly (not just the odd event), the custom would be there.

I've previously thought that there is plenty of room to build a bike dealership, accessory shop, or service centre (maybe all in one), and the two businesses would be complimentary and mutually beneficial 🤔

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
That's probably the issue, the potential is there because 5 mins down the road is the Super Sausage which is always busy. Jacks Hill Cafe is bigger, with a bigger car park. I've been to JHC a couple of times recently on a Sunday morning, and there were only a handful of bikes, but afterwards rode past the SS and it was full 🤔 So with decent food, and maybe a bit more imagination to attract bikers regularly (not just the odd event), the custom would be there.

I've previously thought that there is plenty of room to build a bike dealership, accessory shop, or service centre (maybe all in one), and the two businesses would be complimentary and mutually beneficial 🤔
The food at the Super Sausage is only average at best. But when compared to the food that was on offer at Jacks Hill. It's considerably better.

Now that they've gone to the wall. It feels like I'm speaking ill of the dead. But I did say the same before they closed their doors.
They did seem to want it all their own way. I can live with inferior quality grub if the price reflects that. Unfortunately from what I witnessed, they used the cheapest ingredients possible & charged unrealistic prices for it.

Did you come to the forum meet up in Wales? As it was quite isolated I got Tesco to deliver our main supplies to the venue.
But I purchased a large quantity of 100% beef burgers, catering pack of bacon, top quality sausages, a full black pudding, eggs, bread rolls, a huge block of cheese plus paper plates, serviettes & burger sauces etc. All at trade price through my burger van owning mate.
There was enough for a slap up BBQ on the first night for 30 ish people. And a full fried breakfast for the following 3 mornings. For the 20 ish guys who were staying in the bunkhouse.
From memory, the total bill for that lot was approx £70. And for all I know, my mate shoved a few quid onto what he paid for it?

My point is, every business needs to make a profit. However, IMHO Jacks Hill took it too far.