Nearly time for the rebuild!

Tricky Dicky

Legendary Knight
Once Rose has had her opp and I have sorted the garden out it's time to do the engine rebuild on the Trident, didn't ride last year as the oil pressure was very low so once the weather warms up a bit I will have to start, trouble is I don't have much room in the shed, so I will have to take the motor out and store the rest in the other shed which is packed or the greenhouse, it's a shame I had some crank and conrod shells bookmarked but couldn't buy them in advance as I couldn't remember the size, and they have since gone,
Same with pistons and rings, so have to wait until I strip it, funny how you start to forget just how it all goes together/apart when it's been a while must be an age thing,
Provisionally It's going to be a crank regrind and new bearing shells and a rebore but may do the valve guides as well all the rest should be OK as I replaced 600 miles ago, but you never know, will keep this updated if anyone is interested.

CQEiseV.jpg

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Once Rose has had her opp and I have sorted the garden out it's time to do the engine rebuild on the Trident, didn't ride last year as the oil pressure was very low so once the weather warms up a bit I will have to start, trouble is I don't have much room in the shed, so I will have to take the motor out and store the rest in the other shed which is packed or the greenhouse, it's a shame I had some crank and conrod shells bookmarked but couldn't buy them in advance as I couldn't remember the size, and they have since gone,
Same with pistons and rings, so have to wait until I strip it, funny how you start to forget just how it all goes together/apart when it's been a while must be an age thing,
Provisionally It's going to be a crank regrind and new bearing shells and a rebore but may do the valve guides as well all the rest should be OK as I replaced 600 miles ago, but you never know, will keep this updated if anyone is interested.

CQEiseV.jpg
the bikes Looking good @Tricky Dicky, you may as well do a good job on it for piece of mind sake

Tricky Dicky

Legendary Knight
Just started to pull it apart not really feeling it at the moment and can't get motivated, but pulled the head and so far it looks like I will have to replace the valve guides as there seems a bit of oil residue in the inlet ports so despite inlet stem seals it apers to be sucking oi down them, and it looks like there is a bit of a blow on one cylinder so out with the plate glass, this is going to take longer than I thought.

engLqCQ.jpg

Ge3a8eJ.jpg

Tricky Dicky

Legendary Knight
I haven't taken any more pics yet, been finding it hard to get motivated lately, but I have done a bit more to the trident, got the barrels and pistons off and checked a few bits, definitely need to fit a set of valve guides as it looks like that's where most of the burnt oil is coming from, the barrels and pistons are not too bad so may get away with just a new set of rings,
I have also found a company that can regrind the crank properly and understand the importance of getting the plain main bearings concentric with the outside main bearing journals, I am wondering if this is why the new shells I put in last time didn't last after giving the journals a clean up as they where within tolerance but they where undersize as that had been ground previously, at this rate I might get it back on the road by September if I am lucky!