Always Purchase Windscreen Cover With Car Insurance For Modern Cars

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
That is a hell of a price for a bit of fuckin' glass being replaced I bet Everest would do it cheaper 😁
The car needs to go to one of their indoor fitting centres next week. Apparently the windscreen can't be changed on my driveway.
So presumably there'll be other folk there besides the fitter?
I intend to ask where they get such a mental price from?

There's a very clever bit of kit that sits between the rearview mirror & the windscreen. It performs various functions inc adaptive cruise control, collision warning/mitigation, rain sensing, lane keep assist etc etc.
I'd imagine it's incredibly expensive but it also isn't built into the windscreen.

Anyway... this thread is just a warning to never decline the windscreen cover. I hope it'll save some of you guys a packet at some point.

Public Enemy

Enforcer
Staff member
About 25 years ago I had a Granada Scorpio with all of Ford's goodies on board. Including a heated screen with a light brownish tint in the glass. Had windscreen cover and happily paid the 50 quid excess when I found out the screen was £575! With inflation that's probably still cheaper than yours.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
makes you think mind
That's why I posted this thread Don.
I've never had to replace a windscreen in nearly 40yrs of driving.
I always thought that if the excess was £75. Then the actual cost of the screen would be around £250?
But £1800+ is f#ckin crazy! 😳

Booking the windscreen replacement was all done online without needing to speak to the insurance company.
But I called them anyway to check that the claim wouldn't affect my NCB.
It doesn't with them but apparently some companies do use it as an excuse to raise your premium.
Hardly surprising I guess at prices like this!