Some hope opposing the electric nightmare?

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Ducati are not jumping on the electric circus ride just yet...

"Will we produce an electric Ducati soon? No. We think that for the kind of machine we produce now, an electric motorcycle cannot guarantee the pleasure, the range, the weight etc that Ducati riders expect.

"We are also looking carefully at other solutions for zero or minimal emissions, such as synthetic fuel. Other brands in our group such as Porsche are looking at it and it’s something we are looking at in the medium term."

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
I think a lot of folks have an inkling that the 'electric revolution' is a scam and that, once they have milked it for all it's worth they will turn round and say "You're not gonna believe this but it seems that all our engineers got it wrong, the silly sausages, and electric cars were the wrong path to take so, if you scrap them all at a tremendous expense and creating oodles of additional pollution, we will sell you the all new and improved 'green' revolution".

Judd Dredd

Merlin, Giver Of Drugs & Magic Potions.
Staff member
I think a lot of folks have an inkling that the 'electric revolution' is a scam and that, once they have milked it for all it's worth they will turn round and say "You're not gonna believe this but it seems that all our engineers got it wrong, the silly sausages, and electric cars were the wrong path to take so, if you scrap them all at a tremendous expense and creating oodles of additional pollution, we will sell you the all new and improved 'green' revolution".

like the diesel revolution?

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Ducati are not jumping on the electric circus ride just yet...

"Will we produce an electric Ducati soon? No. We think that for the kind of machine we produce now, an electric motorcycle cannot guarantee the pleasure, the range, the weight etc that Ducati riders expect.

"We are also looking carefully at other solutions for zero or minimal emissions, such as synthetic fuel. Other brands in our group such as Porsche are looking at it and it’s something we are looking at in the medium term."

It'll be because the chief executives at Ducati are shitting themselves about anything to do with electrics Scrappy 😉

..."Oh my god! We've spent 50yrs trying to make lights & ignition systems that work. The idea of going fully electric can feck right off! All we need to do is put out a press release saying we aren't prepared to compromise the heritage of our brand & the soul of our bikes. Just to please the Eco Warriors. We'll be fine unless that c#nt DD gets wind of it? 😳"...

chas

Legendary Knight
It'll be because the chief executives at Ducati are shitting themselves about anything to do with electrics Scrappy 😉

..."Oh my god! We've spent 50yrs trying to make lights & ignition systems that work. The idea of going fully electric can feck right off! All we need to do is put out a press release saying we aren't prepared to compromise the heritage of our brand & the soul of our bikes. Just to please the Eco Warriors. We'll be fine unless that c#nt DD gets wind of it? 😳"...
To be fair Ducati are one of the manufacturers where the engine is key in their marketing and design. Like BMW and the boxers, Triumph and the 'Bonneville' silhouette the bike loses brand identity if you can't see an engine. We all go misty eyed over a Pantah, 900ss or MHR with Ducati. Paso? Not so fucking much.

So if Ducati make an electric, how is it able to distinguish itself from the Chinese/Korean bike that costs half? By a sticker?

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
To be fair Ducati are one of the manufacturers where the engine is key in their marketing and design. Like BMW and the boxers, Triumph and the 'Bonneville' silhouette the bike loses brand identity if you can't see an engine. We all go misty eyed over a Pantah, 900ss or MHR with Ducati. Paso? Not so fucking much.

So if Ducati make an electric, how is it able to distinguish itself from the Chinese/Korean bike that costs half? By a sticker?
Or maybe just pass the problem to their VW/Audi parents?

GaleForceEight

Legendary Knight
Although interestingly I see interchangeable cassette batteries are being mooted. For my money that’s the very thing that inhibits electric cars - recharge time. A quick swap out like a calor gas bottle changes the game.
Yep - a hydrogen fuel cell can be recharged by swapping out a gas bottle!
The system at present isn’t too hot on high power delivery BUT is lighter than an equivalent battery, and unlike modern batteries as used in vehicles is not reliant on so much lithium and other rare metals to make it work. Being lighter than a battery would make the system perfect for bikes if the surface area of catalyst and gas flow can be achieved in a small package to achieve the required voltage to match the power demands of a bike!

Last edited:

Freck

Legendary Knight
Although interestingly I see interchangeable cassette batteries are being mooted. For my money that’s the very thing that inhibits electric cars - recharge time. A quick swap out like a calor gas bottle changes the game.
New research into lithium metal batteries may well improve the recharge time issues and make electric vehicles better.
They’re supposedly much faster to charge than lithium ion and have more power density.
Early days in the development though at the moment.
I’d still prefer an ICE on a bike though for the physical and aural experience.

Mr Moustache

Sword of Fenrir
Yep - a hydrogen fuel cell can be recharged by swapping out a gas bottle!

That scares me somewhat. I used to have a Ford Mundaneo with an LPG conversion, nice car, pain in the arse having to hunt out one of the few filling stations that sold gas, flaky fuel delivery system, twice the servicing cost... After seeing a YouTube clip of an LPG car on fire blowing up like it had an Al Qaeda devotee on board I sold it soon as I could.

I love the idea of hydrogen as a fuel as it has the potential to be as easy to use as petrol/diseasal, but I cannot get past the scary idea bottles of pressurised gas in a car!

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
A tank of Hydrogen is actually not nearly as scary as it sounds or as explosive and of course if the demand was as high as it is for ordinary cars then they would be very quick in developing even safer storage technologies. I remember reading accounts of RFC pilots trying to shoot down German Zeppelins and observations balloons. They tried regular machine gun bullets and they didn't have any effect except possibly a bit of loss of gas. They then used tracer and still it was incredibly difficult to set them on fire simply because hydrogen needs to be mixed with a really good amount of oxygen before it will go bang. Eventually they used explosive rounds which worked if done right. I would much rather use hydrogen than batteries. I remember seeing a thing about fire crews being trained to work on electric vehicles and the risk of the vehicle electrocuting anyone who tried to get someone out of it would have put me right off going near them if I wasn't already extremely sceptical of them.