Had to join, couldn't see the pictures

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Ah, the Harbour Lights, the County, the Old Black.......
The Old Black Lion is currently looking for a new landlord/landlady ahead of a £1m refit.
The County Tavern used to be my local when I lived in Abington.
By the time I was of an age to be accepted as a patron of the Harbour Lights. It was dying a death as a biker pub. Everyone migrated to The King Billy.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
The Old Black Lion is currently looking for a new landlord/landlady ahead of a £1m refit.
By the time I was of an age to be accepted as a patron of the Harbour Lights. It was dying a death as a biker pub. Everyone migrated to The King Billy.

Northampton used to be a brilliant town for a night out, with some fantastic pubs, and good live bands. My favourite haunts were the King Billy, Bantam Cock, Racehorse, Black Lion (now Wig & Pen), Shipmans, on the odd occasion the Harbour Lights.

Iron

Forum Knight
Didn't know ya'll existed, but heard tales of some misgivings in the distant past over in the other place with some breakaway scallywags. And here you all are :p

Kin'ell, £1M refit for the Old Black...It didn't look that bad the last time....oh wait, yeah probably
The County Tavern was a punch up wiv the football skinheads on Saturday afternoons just before the bands came on in the County Ground (saw some good bands there) rest of the week it was just bikers. One of the only biker pubs open on Xmas Day.
Harbour Lights was a pretty good gaff, ex colours bikers and ex Forces rock and roll sort of place.
Don't know the King Billy but I remember the old Teddy Boys in the Abington with their worn out brothel creepers, drapes and bootlace ties. They were always good for a laugh, I liked those old boys.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Northampton used to be a brilliant town for a night out, with some fantastic pubs, and good live bands. My favourite haunts were the King Billy, Bantam Cock, Racehorse, Black Lion (now Wig & Pen), Shipmans, on the odd occasion the Harbour Lights.
The town centre is an absolute shit hole now.
Anyone visiting could be forgiven for thinking they were in eastern europe or Somalia.
Apparently the local authority have applied for city status. If the judges come for a look, there's zero chance of that award happening.
Unless it happens based on some bullshit diversity quotas being met 😏

Scrappy

Legendary Knight

Memories...

Screenshot 2022-05-04 213955.jpg
T0FLMTM2ODAxNzIy.jpg
0_TheWigandPen.png
2472011300_5498884d1f_b.jpg
avatar_19246_the-bantam-in-northampton.jpg

The Shipmans was tiny :)
northampton_shipmans2 (2).jpg

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Harbour Lights was a pretty good gaff, ex colours bikers and ex Forces rock and roll sort of place.
Yeah The Harbour Lights was rough & ready to say the least! 🧐

This might make you laugh? It's now a gay bar. In fact it's been renamed several times. But always remained a gay bar.

Iron

Forum Knight
Nope, don't know the King Billy - looks like you have NCC there now
What's happened to the Harbour! There used to be another building with an alley and a courtyard for all the bikes.
Blimey, I really need to get out more

Edit - what, what....a gay bar. How did they get in there, oh yeah, there was the Gledhill Brothers.... bloody mincers

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Edit - what, what....a gay bar. How did they get in there, oh yeah, there was the Gledhill Brothers.... bloody mincers
Hold the front page...

According to this image from Google maps. It may no longer be a requirement to be a friend of Dorothy to frequent the place?
20220504_221654.jpg