What Are You Drinking Tonight?

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Well if you drink the Irish stuff you’ll not be fussy about maturation. You will note there is no age declared…. Hence the price. It’s how you can get your distillation to market in under half the time with less of it evaporating…..
I've heard of (but not tasted) Tamnavulin. A Scottish guy I used to work with always asked our boss for a bottle at Christmas. When the rest of us were asking for bottles costing half the price.
Are you saying the version I posted a photo of is a cheap copy of a more expensive Tamnavulin? In my opinion, £32 is more than enough for it to be the proper version.

smib

Legendary Knight
I've seen that some of you guys enjoy a drop of Speyside drain cleaner. Here's a great offer in Sainsbury's...

View attachment 13898
Bought a bottle of that in the local Coop.
Very nice for 20 odd quid whilst on offer.
Unfortunately my nearest sainsburys is about 50 miles away, so won't be able to replace...

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Bought a bottle of that in the local Coop.
Very nice for 20 odd quid whilst on offer.
Unfortunately my nearest sainsburys is about 50 miles away, so won't be able to replace...
How does it compare (taste wise) with Talisker & the other TCP specials?

smib

Legendary Knight
There is no discernable peat TCP in my version. The box says "Red wine cask edition". French cabernet savignon cask edition🤔IMG_20220120_164548.jpg

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
If you trawl the Glenlivet website you will find several products
that proclaim peculiar qualities without any age statement. There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with the product but it’s being marketed on the back of aged whisky of stated provenance. It’s how Pernod Ricard operate just like the Singleton brand owned by Diageo and pretty much everyone else. Fresh distilled whisky is gin clear and much added flavour and colour comes from Sherry, wine etc., barrels from other brands in other Countries owned by the same drinks conglomerates. Good business innit?

Fundamentally you can’t meet (& profit from) rising demand with aged whisky because you know exactly how much you’ve got in the warehouse from 12/15 whatever years back. However, if malting barley is available you can run more stills and label printers and have a ready reserve of young whisky you can style however you choose. Probably 50+% of your clientele wouldn’t really know the difference. The best bit is they perceive a bargain where you see an even better mark up.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Seems strange they don't do it to the "bog trotter liquor"
Not strange at all.
It's simply because you can't improve upon perfection 🤗

Bushmills & few others do occasionally mess about with proper whiskey. Flavouring it with honey or stout etc. But it's far more rare than the Scottish drain cleaner versions.

Anyway, don't let us keep you from doing your hair & makeup for tonight. Hopefully you use anti smear lipstick. Or it could bring new meaning to the words "cock ring" 🧐 😉

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
View attachment 13906

That's me sorted for Friday night 😋
I've already tried 3 of them
Hazy Jane (regular version) = Nice
Punk = Very nice
Elvis Juice = Delicious 😋

All 3 have fallen into the category of "taste them, don't judge them by what it says on the can"
Elvis Juice for instance is an IPA infused with grapefruit juice. Sounds horrible doesn't it 😳
But try it, before judging it 🙂
I had some of that grapefruit juice at a neighbour’s instead of coffee. It’s definitely hipster brew. Not unpleasant but I wouldn’t rush to repeat. I know I’m a miserable bastard but I somehow doubt it’s technically ‘infused’ like a tea bag so much as dosed like squash!

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
I had some of that grapefruit juice at a neighbour’s instead of coffee. It’s definitely hipster brew. Not unpleasant but I wouldn’t rush to repeat. I know I’m a miserable bastard but I somehow doubt it’s technically ‘infused’ like a tea bag so much as dosed like squash!
Elvis Juice (stupid name) is my current favourite brew 😋
It'll be a great drink on a hot summer day 🙂
What I don't like about it, or any other "craft" beer is the crazy prices. Those 12 x 330ml cans (Coca Cola size) should have been £15 for a multi pack. I paid a bit less cos the box was damaged. But it's definitely hipster beer in terms of its value for money/bang per £1 😳