Some hope opposing the electric nightmare?

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
I am still to be convinced about charging points

Until that’s sorted I’m sticking with ICE - until I’m priced out from road tax and Fuel levies….
There's been lots of talk of RFL increasing in price dramatically for ICE vehicles in April. Has anyone seen any actual figures?
Two of ours need taxing 01/3/22 so they'll miss the price hike for now.

Edit...
This answers my question. One of ours will go up from £155 to £165. But the other two that are currently only £30 will remain at that price 😃

Last edited:

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Not for me but I suppose they have to go forward

I'd definitely give one of these a go - instant torque seems very appealing.

While concerned about the range, the reality is most of my evening or weekend rides aren't that long, so an EV would be fine.

However, I wouldn't want one for touring for the obvious reasons.

An interesting article in Bike magazine about hydrogen - seemed to suggest that while it would work for cars, the need for a highly pressurised fuel tank wouldn't make it suitable for bikes. Shame, as I see hydrogen as much more attractive an idea than electric.

DS

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
I'd definitely give one of these a go - instant torque seems very appealing.

While concerned about the range, the reality is most of my evening or weekend rides aren't that long, so an EV would be fine.

However, I wouldn't want one for touring for the obvious reasons.

An interesting article in Bike magazine about hydrogen - seemed to suggest that while it would work for cars, the need for a highly pressurised fuel tank wouldn't make it suitable for bikes. Shame, as I see hydrogen as much more attractive an idea than electric.

DS
That's not necessarily true. They're basing it on the saddlebag contours of unpressurised liquid tanks but bottle panniers or even tank in frame options arise. Engineering solutions exist for problems we haven't yet created.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
I'm watching "Fantomworks" & they are fettling a Yank Tank Camero with 572Ci lump...

20220226_030837.jpg

A damn near 9.4ltr V8 😃
Greta just wet her panties but I'm currently sporting a semi 🤗

I was under the impression the 572 was only ever intended to be a drag car engine? 🤔
It probably does gallons per mile not miles per gallon 😳

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
I'm watching "Fantomworks" & they are fettling a Yank Tank Camero with 572Ci lump...

View attachment 15156

A damn near 9.4ltr V8 😃
Greta just wet her panties but I'm currently sporting a semi 🤗

I was under the impression the 572 was only ever intended to be a drag car engine? 🤔
It probably does gallons per mile not miles per gallon 😳
I got an over bored 5.7 down to about 6 mpg in the Pyrenees tyre squealing on the bends so sub 4 mpg should be readily attainable.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Check out the letter shown in this article.
Apparently this particular bunch of Eco Warriors have finally worked out that Hybrids & EV's are also harmful to the environment.

The tone of the letter still screams "sanctimonious pricks" though.
I hope they pick the wrong car & the owner puts a few of them in hospital! 😏

Scrappy

Legendary Knight

I'm glad someone has caught on to the fact that so much of the production of so-called green energy is massively counter productive. Current wind turbines for example would struggle to ever offset the massive amounts of CO2 produced in their manufacture and construction, and the blades end up in land fill at end of life, so not really non-polluting either :rolleyes:

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
I don’t know why everyone’s wasting their time (and our money) on conversion to electricity, should be investing in cold fusion research

That’s the answer(y)

The futures bright and its nuclear:) (seriously!)

Or small scale molten salt reactors, apparently they use nuclear waste from existing reactors and can generate 400 times the energy from that waste than was originally produced from the source fuel, so solving two problems, and they are far safer than existing reactors.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
What we really, really need to do is find out just how energy. at the point of the big bang turned into matter and, if at all possible, figure out how to reverse the process. Everything we do to get energy at the moment is simply converting one form of matter into another which releases a little energy in the process whether it's converting oil molecules into carbon dioxide and water, Hydrogen into Helium etc. Even the fusion reactions in the sun are extremely rare and inefficient with only a tiny part of the energy of the atoms being released in converting the Hydrogen into Helium. If we could actually convert atoms straight into energy then literally a handful of any old atoms could provide the energy needed to power the whole world.

Think on the fact that something like less than 0.001% of the Hydrogen atoms in the Sun that are forced together form Helium and give off a high energy Photon that then takes an estimated million years or so to work it's way to the surface of the Sun losing a very large part of it's energy in the process before escaping and travelling to Earth as light energy. If a single Photon escaping an atom has the energy to do that imagine the energy that is hidden in one tiny innocuous atom of any given element and then imagine the number of atoms in our bodies alone and the power in matter is truly inconceivable. A teaspoon of sand could destroy the planet if we could figure out the conversion process.

Last edited:

Old Nick

Legendary Knight
This is the sort of thinking that will get us out of this mess at some point in the future - I can’t help but think our forebears will look back on us and electric powered transport the way we do now look back at our ancestors and their use of steam power(y)