War with China/Russia

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Oops!..

BBC News - Russian tower block in flames as aircraft crashes
Russia makes pretty shit jet engines. We know they are serviced by low skilled erks but fundamentally they produce great power then self destruct with wearisome predictability. Having visited the RR works at Fulton and seen the precision with which their gas turbine blades are made then eyeballed Russian jets close up at Farnborough there is no comparison on quality. The designs are clever enough but the execution is distinctly shoddy..... but the design philosophy is they aren't expected to last long in combat and they don't train half as much.

Why do you think Aeroflot switched to Boeing & Airbus as soon as they could? User confidence!

Old Nick

Legendary Knight
Russia makes pretty shit jet engines. We know they are serviced by low skilled erks but fundamentally they produce great power then self destruct with wearisome predictability. Having visited the RR works at Fulton and seen the precision with which their gas turbine blades are made then eyeballed Russian jets close up at Farnborough there is no comparison on quality. The designs are clever enough but the execution is distinctly shoddy..... but the design philosophy is they aren't expected to last long in combat and they don't train half as much.

Why do you think Aeroflot switched to Boeing & Airbus as soon as they could? User confidence!
I can corroborate that, when I was in Angola some years ago I got on an old Antonov an12 (old Russian crate converted for civil passenger use) sat down, engines started, and the centre light consol fell off the ceiling:oops:

We couldn’t get off quick enough :D

We weren’t allowed on Air Ethiopia either, Russian ground and Technical crew:rolleyes:

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
I can corroborate that, when I was in Angola some years ago I got on an old Antonov an12 (old Russian crate converted for civil passenger use) sat down, engines started, and the centre light consol fell off the ceiling:oops:

We weren’t allowed on Air Ethiopia either, Russian ground and Technical crew:rolleyes:
Now I can tell some stories, Like when we deployed and used an old VC10 "yes" we still used them and Tristars a few years back, and it was normal for the overhead console to drop and on one flight nearly half way across the pond the flight engineer came looking out of the window near us, soon after the anouncement that we had to return to Brize as there was a major Hydraulic leak, and on another sortie our advance had to divert to Canada as one of the flight controls had started to delaminate, and on and on with such stories, oh the good old days

Last edited:

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
They have always had problems hanging on to them mate, sometimes it was like rat's leaving a sinking ship, what is it they say, Money talks priciples walk, I would have been more surprised if the Chinese had not tried this

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Dad used to listen in on the radio channels to civilian flights. I remember him catching one call saying that the flight was going to have to be grounded because the pilot had spilled his coffee on the controls.

I knew an ex RAF pilot who became a civilian airliner driver. Biggest knobhead I ever met.

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Dad used to listen in on the radio channels to civilian flights. I remember him catching one call saying that the flight was going to have to be grounded because the pilot had spilled his coffee on the controls.

I knew an ex RAF pilot who became a civilian airliner driver. Biggest knobhead I ever met.
In all fairness a good many pilots are okay, it's the fast jet prima Donna's that can be the worst

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight

A colleague of mine on a UN tour was killed in a Hip helicopter when the turbine decided to stop playing and they are so heavy they don't autorotate well from low altitude.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Now I can tell some stories, Like when we deployed and used an old VC10 "yes" we still used them and Tristars a few years back, and it was normal for the overhead console to drop and on one flight nearly half way across the pond the flight engineer came looking out of the window near us, soon after the anouncement that we had to return to Brize as there was a major Hydraulic leak, and on another sortie our advance had to divert to Canada as one of the flight controls had started to delaminate, and on and on with such stories, oh the good old days
I did the Rwanda recce in a VC10 in 1994. We were all set to pile in but things resolved themselves. The biggest excitement was trying to get out. Kigali airport (covered in mortar'splashes') sits atop a small round hill surrounded by jungle. We had a mass bird strike on take off and emergency stop right before we tipped into the jungle. Fortunately no ingestion but bent pitot tubes and dents in leading edges and brakes smoking alarmingly. We had a bit of an argument with the militia who wanted us gone and didn't understand we needed cold brakes for a 2nd attempt to get airborne.

Glad I wasn't pay the fuel bill as we had done a triangle vis Nairobi, Kigali and waited for further instructions in Kampala before returning to BZN.