The Music Fans Thread

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Good gig last weekend - The Undertones supported by Tom Robinson Band.

Tom is much more entertaining on stage than on R6 and the songs hold up.

The Undertones amazed me - still able to belt out one 2 minute single after another at breakneck speed.

They were better at that than their fans were at keeping up - security staff at the venue broke out foldable benches at the back for all us old 'uns to sit down for a bit on!

DS

MeMe!!

Forum Knight
I went to one of my favourite venues last night, The Cornish Bank in Falmouth.
Please give it a go if you’re in the area. Cracking little venue, good people, nice local beers and totally committed to providing live music to a town which many see as being in the middle of Bumfuck Nowhere.
Any way, we went to see The Jungle Brothers. I’ve played JB’s since 1988, but first time seeing them and it was so good. Whole place was bouncing. Would recommend.
Now I’m off to see if I can encourage any useful movement in my knees, hips & lower back.

gazzatriumph

Legendary Knight
I went to one of my favourite venues last night, The Cornish Bank in Falmouth.
Please give it a go if you’re in the area. Cracking little venue, good people, nice local beers and totally committed to providing live music to a town which many see as being in the middle of Bumfuck Nowhere.
Any way, we went to see The Jungle Brothers. I’ve played JB’s since 1988, but first time seeing them and it was so good. Whole place was bouncing. Would recommend.
Now I’m off to see if I can encourage any useful movement in my knees, hips & lower back.
I really like Falmouth, I have a few family members there and I've been visiting Falmouth since the late 60s. My son lives in St Mawes been there 4 years, he had a Black Country accent now sounds like one of the Wurzells. I'll check that venue out next time I'm down there.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
R.I.P Shane 😔...

BBC News - Shane MacGowan: Pogues singer dies aged 65

Useless fact for the day...
Back in 1982 when the band was formed. They called themselves Pogue Mahone which roughly translates as "Kiss My Arse"
Their manager said they needed to change it. Because if the likes of the BBC ever found out, they'd never get any air-play on mainstream radio stations.
Hence the name was changed to The Pogues. Which I guess translates to "The Kisses"? 🤔

However, in early 1996 when the band was too big even for the BBC to mess with. They released an album entitled "Pogue Mahone" in honour of their original choice of name 🙂

Fairy Tale Of New York is obviously their most famous track. And undoubtedly their biggest money spinner. But this is the real Pogues that I love 🙂...

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
I remember reading about a death in his flat and apparently a friend from Dublin asked him to take in and look after his son who had moved to London and the lad OD'ed in Shane's flat with Shane being so out of it himself that he didn't know he was dead for a day or two and lied about what happened when questioned about it. I seem to recall he was also involved in the death of another guy too somehow.

Still I reckon you have to separate the man from his art. There is no doubt that the Pogue's were quite some musical machine with him at the helm and were never the same without him. Definitely unique.