Some hope opposing the electric nightmare?

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
On the other hand @Public Enemy I gather that the Swedes claim that they have a mineral deposit of rare Earths to rival or better the sources in China so, if their mining plan goes ahead, it will likely mean cheaper batteries and electric motors for Europe and the US as it will break the stranglehold the Chinese have on these minerals essential for the computer and EV industries.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
I'm still definitely not convinced about electric cars.
BUT I had this for 3 days last week & I was very impressed 🙂...

20230201_114717.jpg

261bhp mainly from a 2.0 TDi but topped up with an electric motor. I think the electric motor only supplies approx 20bhp. So the car is known as a "Mild Hybrid"
I have to say that getting the remaining 241bhp from a 2.0 diesel engine sounds like a recipe for disaster if it's driven hard? But I guess Merc know what they are doing.

It went like stink & handled great. Especially when you consider it tips the scales at 1900kg. The sure footed handling was very possibly down to it being a 4Matic (aka four wheel drive)
Obviously a 1900kg, 4x4, 9 speed automatic, diesel convertible doesn't initially scream "Sports Car"
But it was genuinely a great GT car with a turn of speed/handling that wouldn't be out of place in a car half its weight 🙂

A very snazzy interior as well...
20230201_153951.jpg
20230201_154007.jpg

Infact the only things I didn't like were the wheels, the four seater body design & the mental price! 😳

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
How did you find the quality @DD67 ? I was talking to a guy from Europcar rental a wee while back and he was saying that they were having loads of problems with Mercs in their fleet with what he termed 'chromed plastic' switches and handles snapping off regularly in customers hands. He said he was really shocked about just how weak these parts were.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
It seemed fine mate. But as said, I only had it for a few days. Whilst they attempted to sell it to me 🧐

Like all manufacturers, Merc will be penny pinching. And their accountants will have far more say than their engineers 🙁

I remember having a passenger ride in a nearly new 2005 C Class after owning a 1993 190E many years prior.
The old 190E was built like a tank. Consequently it wasn't fast or nimble but it was definitely built to last. Unlike the much newer C Class.
If that same ethos has continued since 2005? Then it's no surprise that the quality of the fit/finish is dropping.

Having said that, a Merc built to a budget. Will still be better than a far cheaper brand built with the same mindset.
At least, it should be! 🤔

Public Enemy

Enforcer
Staff member
I'm still definitely not convinced about electric cars.
BUT I had this for 3 days last week & I was very impressed 🙂...

View attachment 22481

281bhp mainly from a 2.0 TDi but topped up with an electric motor. I think the electric motor only supplies approx 20bhp. So the car is known as a "Mild Hybrid"
I have to say that getting the remaining 261bhp from a 2.0 diesel engine sounds like a recipe for disaster if it's driven hard? But I guess Merc know what they are doing.

It went like stink & handled great. Especially when you consider it tips the scales at 1900kg. The sure footed handling was very possibly down to it being a 4Matic (aka four wheel drive)
Obviously a 4x4, 9 speed automatic, diesel convertible doesn't initially scream "Sports Car"
But it was genuinely a great GT car with a turn of speed/handling that wouldn't be out of place in a car half its weight 🙂

A very snazzy interior as well...
View attachment 22482
View attachment 22483

Infact the only things I didn't like were the wheels, the four seater body design & the mental price! 😳
Don't let the Merc owners club hear you say it ain't a sports car!!

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Stories like this of fuel companies doubling their profits in 2022. Whilst blaming the increased costs to us on the war in Ukraine. Are obviously b#llocks!

If the cost to them increased massively which is why the cost to us increased massively? How come the thieving b@stards managed to double their profits? 🤔

BBC News - BP scales back climate targets as profits hit record

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Whilst blaming the increased costs to us on the war in Ukraine
Not only do we send Tanks and other vehicles to Ukraine looks like we are paying to fuel them as well, In truth "WE" are just being screwed, how can they justify high energy costs and fuel costs and still make all that money and have the gaul to let the world know that they are fecking us over,