The Music Fans Thread

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Ach ye've nae taste.

It is pretty standard 'Metal' it would help if I spoke or understood the language though. To be honest I'd rather listen to the Hu than Metallica or Slayer who kinda bore me.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
This is a coincidence, I was listening to the Invisible Touch album by Genesis on Wednesday or Thursday evening, and in particular Land of Confusion really grabbed my attention, with me thinking it was so relevant to what is going on today. Then this video popped up in my YouTube feed, coincidence or Google spying on me by listening to my audio system? 🤔

Anyway the guy in the video has a similar opinion to me, and its still a great track.

gazzatriumph

Legendary Knight
I'll listen to most things from all over the world from Mongolian rock music, medieval singing, brass bands, banjos, classical and bagpipes to Rockabilly, Jazz, blues, Dixieland, Punk, Psychobilly and Death metal but the one thing I can't stand is folks talking utter shite ten to the dozen over a beat and calling it music and I haven't listened to or know much of any music produced after 2000. Does that make me intolerant? Close Minded? Set in ways? Yes I suppose so but I don't give a fuck I likes what I like and the rest can go fuck itself.

To be honest too I don't really listen to much music these days but I do blow me own trumpet for an hour or two a day and thrash my guitar in a Rockabilly/psychobilly style for an hour or two too. That way I make the kind of music I like, oh and I am often heard bawling out an old Elvis, Buddy, Cochran, Gene Vincent number and I am even known to growl out a spot of Motorhead, Black Sabbath and Bon Scott era ACDC when the mood takes me
I was in a psychobilly band in the mid 80s

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Anyone I might have known @gazzatriumph ? Unfortunately I was late to the party, as I only really discovered the music in the late 80's. It was about 1988 or 89 when I found a copy of The Meteors 'Wrecking Crew' album second hand in a record shop and took a pop on it without having heard it. I had never heard of psychobilly at that point in my wee corner of Ayrshire and at 16 or 17 years old I was only really starting to explore beyond the realms of more well known Rockabilly and the Punk and Metal that I could buy in the local record shops. First track and I was sold on the sounds.

Having found my taste for Rockabilly and psychobilly recently to have started reviving, along with my taste for playing rockabilly guitar I was surprised to discover that the long term purveyor of Rockabilly and Psychobilly music, Howard Raucous of Raucous Records, who had a lot of money off me for discs in the past now lives in Ardrossan just along the road from where I used to live.

Last edited:

gazzatriumph

Legendary Knight
The band was short lived. It was called Martian Brain Squeeze, not my idea. We supported the Guana Batz at the Barrell Organ in Birmingham, they were quite big in that scene. They asked our drummer if we wanted to support them for 3 months, he asked what would we get paid they replied nothing but would get publicity. The drummer turned it down, I didn't know about it and would have done it.
Not long after the drummer joined Napalm Death and they were pretty successful but not my cup of tea. The drummer was Mickey Harris.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
My step-brother organises a Psychobilly festival every year

1721220089188.png

Last edited:

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Napalm Death now that was a band I couldn't stand @gazzatriumph.... Funny story - I was at as Nuclear Assault concert around 1989 and spoke to Dan Lilker and he recommended I listen to Napalm Death so I bought a copy of their latest album, with free 7inch single included from 23rd Precinct records in Glasgow. Put them on my deck and they sounded so bad that I assumed the pressings were screwed up. Took 'em back to the shop and got a fresh copy. That was when I realised that it was meant to sound that shite.

Guanabatz were quite good though - I have all their stuff from way back when.

I used to love wreckin', you came away black and blue but it really got the adrenaline pumping. The only thing that kind of never really did it for me with Psychobilly was the obsession with Horror movies and that sort of thing. Horror stuff just bores the shit out of me. I guess nowadays I'm much more on the Rockabilly side than the Psychobilly.

Getting right back into my playing too - In the last couple of months I've bought four Gretsches including a G5420T in superb two tone Anniversary green (I had a 1960's Double Anni in 1990 that was nowhere near the quality of these 'budget' Gretsch's from Chinka). Chances of finding anyone to form a band with within sixty miles of my home is probably zilch though.

gazzatriumph

Legendary Knight
I had a gretsch bass a while ago, looked great but has bad neck dive and weak pups. Shame, I loved the look but moved it on. I was more in to Rockabilly than Psychobilly or silly billy as my dad would say. Used to go to all dayers I remember going to Preston alot and down to London.
Good times. I must admit wrecking wasn't really my thing looked a bit mad, my mate was always in the thick of it he loved it.
There is a website you can advertise for musician's or look for bands, I've used it for years and it's free. You may know of it if not it's called Join my Band.

gazzatriumph

Legendary Knight
My step-brother organises a Psychobilly festival every year

View attachment 30985
See Guana Batz still going.

gazzatriumph

Legendary Knight
Napalm Death now that was a band I couldn't stand @gazzatriumph.... Funny story - I was at as Nuclear Assault concert around 1989 and spoke to Dan Lilker and he recommended I listen to Napalm Death so I bought a copy of their latest album, with free 7inch single included from 23rd Precinct records in Glasgow. Put them on my deck and they sounded so bad that I assumed the pressings were screwed up. Took 'em back to the shop and got a fresh copy. That was when I realised that it was meant to sound that shite.

Guanabatz were quite good though - I have all their stuff from way back when.

I used to love wreckin', you came away black and blue but it really got the adrenaline pumping. The only thing that kind of never really did it for me with Psychobilly was the obsession with Horror movies and that sort of thing. Horror stuff just bores the shit out of me. I guess nowadays I'm much more on the Rockabilly side than the Psychobilly.

Getting right back into my playing too - In the last couple of months I've bought four Gretsches including a G5420T in superb two tone Anniversary green (I had a 1960's Double Anni in 1990 that was nowhere near the quality of these 'budget' Gretsch's from Chinka). Chances of finding anyone to form a band with within sixty miles of my home is probably zilch though.
I remember seeing Napalm Death on The Tube, playing one song that lasted 2 seconds lol.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Aye they had a page worth of supposedly deep and meaningful song lyrics for each song and you'd read them and then put the track on and the singer would barf into the mic like he'd had the dodgiest curry ever for two seconds. No way was he singing the lyrics that were printed on the sleeve.