What have you done to your bike today....

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Did another run on the Daytona and got back with no issues, but when I then checked everything, the two fuses I replaced a couple of days ago have melted again.

As I understand it, that will be too much juice coming from the R/R.

@BAD LUCK DUCK - that was what you replaced, wasn't it?

What one did you replace it with? Where did you get it from?

DS

smib

Legendary Knight
Just had a text, bikes written off. Now waiting for the assessor to tell me how much I should get. Looking online £4500 - £5500 with the mileage etc.

I need to offer him up to buy it back to strip down parts and sell on, anyone done this and how much do you offer?
I wouldn't think they will offer anything like online prices. Most insurance companies are bastards with their valuations.
I had a 66 plate Street Triple stolen at 6 months old. Due to winter had only 500 miles and was awaiting first service.
Bike cost around £8.5k. Thieving AVIVA decided they would only pay me £6200 after excesses. Argued the case, AVIVA said I could replace with the money they offered. Yeah right

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Did another run on the Daytona and got back with no issues, but when I then checked everything, the two fuses I replaced a couple of days ago have melted again.

DS
These folk will do a test and repair service by post. You can verify your options by phone first
Just NE of Harlow.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
I wouldn't think they will offer anything like online prices. Most insurance companies are bastards with their valuations.
I had a 66 plate Street Triple stolen at 6 months old. Due to winter had only 500 miles and was awaiting first service.
Bike cost around £8.5k. Thieving AVIVA decided they would only pay me £6200 after excesses. Argued the case, AVIVA said I could replace with the money they offered. Yeah right
They essentially use Glass’s guide equivalent and price at dealer buy in….. that’s the market to which they attach their value rather than classifieds. They also tend to rubbish the pre accident condition.

Don the Don

Legendary Knight

DS
Worth looking at and keeping for future reference

Tallpaul

Legendary Knight
These folk will do a test and repair service by post. You can verify your options by phone first
Just NE of Harlow.
+1 for these guys. Rewound and returned a stator for my CX500 in less than a week.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
@Doc Strange having been in the same boat I found my alternator was fine (check for a resistance of around 0.5 Ohms between each wire of the Alternator and an infinity reading to ground (no connection to ground) if those are correct then chances are the alternator is OK. What I believe from my research is that the 'switch' inside the Rec/reg (the regulator) which is supposed to go to ground if too much juice is coming from the alternator has broken down.

As for reg/recs I would either go for the Electrex (just bought a fresh one from Sprint engineering for my Sprint RS along with a 44 tooth rear sprocket for my Daytona) or the genuine Triumph updated one (used on the Daytona 675). The Electrex got my vote as they have been in business for donkeys years and connects direct to the battery bypassing the loom plus it's more than a hundred quid cheaper. I wouldn't trust any of the other one's listed for cheaper (and much cheaper) on fleabay.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
@Doc Strange having been in the same boat I found my alternator was fine (check for a resistance of around 0.5 Ohms between each wire of the Alternator and an infinity reading to ground (no connection to ground) if those are correct then chances are the alternator is OK. What I believe from my research is that the 'switch' inside the Rec/reg (the regulator) which is supposed to go to ground if too much juice is coming from the alternator has broken down.

As for reg/recs I would either go for the Electrex (just bought a fresh one from Sprint engineering for my Sprint RS along with a 44 tooth rear sprocket for my Daytona) or the genuine Triumph updated one (used on the Daytona 675). The Electrex got my vote as they have been in business for donkeys years and connects direct to the battery bypassing the loom plus it's more than a hundred quid cheaper. I wouldn't trust any of the other one's listed for cheaper (and much cheaper) on fleabay.
Zener diodes. About as impenetrable as female (wait for it!) logic.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck

DS
I replaced the entire alternator as it was too expensive buying individual parts when for a few extra quid I got an entire reconditioned guaranteed for 12 mths alternator..
Had all the issues you mention and it sorted it...
I'm going to be stripping my old triumph down in a couple of weeks and if the alternator I got will fit your bike you can have it...20210706_074341.jpg