What have you done to your bike today....

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Cheers @BAD LUCK DUCK - useful info.

DS
It just saved all the faffing about with diodes and rectifier and this and that voltage which I ain't good at anyway..Also if I remember right there was an issue getting at one of the packs of diodes so I just replaced the whole thing..Bought a new o ring to seal it and job was a good un..
The bike is currently stuck with the rear wheel jammed up or brake caliper seized up and I can't move the bloody thing from the ex Mrs Duck property to do anything..If the weather holds out on Sunday I shall see if I can get it moved out the way and will whip that off for you...
If @DD67 or @Scrappy is willing I can drop it with them next Tuesday and that gets it down to Northamptonshire for you..

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Well the plot thickens!

Before buying anything, I decided to get in a better opinion - so called neighbour round and again performed the same tests, showed him fuses that had blown, etc.

His opinion it is not the R/R and to keep riding, keep an eye on the fuses, carry spares and see if I can make it happen again, and if I do, note how!

Happy to do that, and if dry tomorrow evening might just do so with him on his new Guzzi.

Although I'll take the Dayt to test it out, It is so good having the GS sat there too and knowing I've got a ride if I want one!

DS

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Yep that is the very one @Doc Strange
Hmmm I think frazzled fuses are highly suspicious . The main thing is to see what the voltage is while the bike is running and slowly change the revs. If the voltage at the battery stays pretty much rock solid at somewhere around 13.5 to 14 Volts then the regulator is fine. If it goes up and down then the regulator is failing. Be careful if you are taking her out as I have seen pictures on the Daytona Facebook page of one where the entire fusebox melted and lord knows what else but the guy said he needed a new loom, alternator, reg/rec and lord knows what else (a lot of bucks as the loom alone comes in at something like £300, then about £270 for a Triumph OEM rec/reg). The reg/rec on mine had been changed by a previous owner for one of those twenty bucks " No lasty long time" chinese ones. I replaced it with a spare NipponDenso one from my scrapped Sprint and it wasn't regulating properly and then I nicked the MOSFET regulator (an electrex) from my running Sprint and the bike is running a treat now with no melty fuses and it is rock solid at 13.6V no matter what revs the bike is at.

chas

Legendary Knight
Well the plot thickens!

Before buying anything, I decided to get in a better opinion - so called neighbour round and again performed the same tests, showed him fuses that had blown, etc.

His opinion it is not the R/R and to keep riding, keep an eye on the fuses, carry spares and see if I can make it happen again, and if I do, note how!

Happy to do that, and if dry tomorrow evening might just do so with him on his new Guzzi.

Although I'll take the Dayt to test it out, It is so good having the GS sat there too and knowing I've got a ride if I want one!

DS
I found the 'Aberdeenbikers' link that both Don and Sarky posted brilliant for logically working through the problems for the 'elecktikerydarkarts' novice/idiot.

Your batt drain down that nearly left you stranded speaks to me of a short blowing the fuse allowing the batt to drain down rather than a fault in the charge curcuit per se. as you got charge readings once the fuses were replaced.

Judd Dredd

Merlin, Giver Of Drugs & Magic Potions.
Staff member
riding, starts to rain, heading home going through a village, van goes to reverse out of drive, I overreact, lowside into wall on other side of road.

wheel cracked, forks bent, handbar bent, brake lever snapped, tank dented, exhaust header and slip-on damaged, rear brake lever snapped, right running board bent, saddle back ripped off.

I loved that bike, one of the few things that brought joy to my life over the last 18 months as well as keeping my sanity.

chas

Legendary Knight
riding, starts to rain, heading home going through a village, van goes to reverse out of drive, I overreact, lowside into wall on other side of road.

wheel cracked, forks bent, handbar bent, brake lever snapped, tank dented, exhaust header and slip-on damaged, rear brake lever snapped, right running board bent, saddle back ripped off.

I loved that bike, one of the few things that brought joy to my life over the last 18 months as well as keeping my sanity.
Oh, fuck that. Gutted for you

T

The Departed

Sorry to hear that mate.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight

Sorry to hear that Judd :( - I hope you came away from it undamaged?