What have you done to your bike today....

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Exactly. An Audi TT is a VW Golf in a party frock.
Yes, but in that instance at least they are both part of VAG.
From what I can gather the engine was developed by Peugeot/Citroen & part funded by Ford/Volvo?
No idea how the other brands got involved, especially Suzuki & BMW Mini 🤔

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
The Mk 1 VW Sharan, SEAT Alhambra & Ford Galaxy used to roll off the same production line. PSA engines in Range Rovers….. the ability to amortise development costs over massive production runs means cheaper vehicles and bigger profits.

When you peel back there is less and less competition and more and more hidden cooperation. Unregulated, it threatens consumers and democracy itself. Sounds dramatic but think about the control it creates over employees and employment opportunities. Now, just buy yourself a few politicians; they’re pretty cheap.

Consider that a Pfizer exec is on the Board controlling a whole load of media interests…. But I’m a conspiracy theorist. S**t! I never used to be.

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Checked fuses and replaced the one to the lights, which wasn't blown but looked damaged, and the charging system one, which I couldn't tell if was blown or not but was definitely browned in places.

Across the battery I got 12.4V, 12.2.8 when switched on but not running, and 11.9, declining, when switched lights on when not running.

Then started her up and got 13.8, and 13.7 when with lights on.

That sounds all good, doesn't it?

DS

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Checked fuses and replaced the one to the lights, which wasn't blown but looked damaged, and the charging system one, which I couldn't tell if was blown or not but was definitely browned in places.

Across the battery I got 12.4V, 12.2.8 when switched on but not running, and 11.9, declining, when switched lights on when not running.

DS
Motorcycle Charging System Diagnosis Checks | AberdeenBikers

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Wait for it..........

Rode it! Got all the bits back on (what kind of spider monkey do they employ to put the pipes on the tank?) fixed a split in the vacuum pipe, refitted the fairing etc, and again, fired up first turn of the key. Much better tick over and more responsive (vac hose?)

Didn't go too far, 10 miles or so, just enough to get it hot, but came home with a grin.

Will let her cool right down overnight and check for coolant leaks. Then the last bit of cover (the bit over the hose and above the water pump) can go on. Golden.

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Wait for it..........

Rode it! Got all the bits back on (what kind of spider monkey do they employ to put the pipes on the tank?) fixed a split in the vacuum pipe, refitted the fairing etc, and again, fired up first turn of the key. Much better tick over and more responsive (vac hose?)

Didn't go too far, 10 miles or so, just enough to get it hot, but came home with a grin.

Will let her cool right down overnight and check for coolant leaks. Then the last bit of cover (the bit over the hose and above the water pump) can go on. Golden.
Great stuff @Big Sandy glad she is working fine top job mate

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Wait for it..........

Glad you're grinning!

DS

chas

Legendary Knight

DS
Bear in mind my charging failure turned out to be a weakness in the fuse box wiring that hadn't been sorted when the reg/rec was replaced. I'd give it a strong look to see if it's still fit for purpose mate.

chas

Legendary Knight
Well, I *was* going to fit the new speedo magnet this afternoon as the drizzle was holding off.

Nup, I don't have the 17mm allen wrench needed for removing the spindle. More 'one job for one vehicle' tools to buy.

It can go with the 32mm socket that I need to replace the front sprocket on GS550s ;)

While I was shopping treated myself to a front (yoke mount) paddock stand too. I've utilised several questionable methods to loft a front wheel in the past but there's such a thing as pushing your luck :D

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
The wheel spindle caught me out too. Bought a special tool that fits on my torque wrench to do it. An allen key is maybe gonna be a bit tough to get the necessary purchase on.

half ton

Legendary Knight
Today I rode to Haywards in Cambridge for a test ride on a Royal Enfield 350 Meteor, £3700 on the road and up to 12 week wait for next shipment,They have sold over 20 so far. All I can say is it was very comfortable and very flickable but sorry to say I don't think I'm quite ready to drop to 20 bhp (probably nearer 15bhp at the wheel) I couldn't fault the bike in any way apart from the performance ..it felt like a nippy 125 and in the future could be on my list as a lazy bike to own.....

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Today I rode to Haywards in Cambridge for a test ride on a Royal Enfield 350 Meteor, £3700 on the road and up to 12 week wait for next shipment,They have sold over 20 so far. All I can say is it was very comfortable and very flickable but sorry to say I don't think I'm quite ready to drop to 20 bhp (probably nearer 15bhp at the wheel) I couldn't fault the bike in any way apart from the performance ..it felt like a nippy 125 and in the future could be on my list as a lazy bike to own.....
I infiltrated Norfolk/Suffolk & lived to tell the tale 🙂
I'm home safe & not being held in a Suffolk cellar as part of a local blood line thinning breeding program 😳

The cheapo car got home in one piece. And although it needs a shock absorber or 2 (gonna treat it to all 4) plus a feckin good clean. Under the bonnet is filthy! 😏 And I'm anal about that! 😗
And it isn't totally battle scar free. It's very presentable & goes/stops really well! Plus everything from 11yrs ago still works inc heated seats, sat nav, keyless entry & TPMS etc etc.
It should do the job it was purchased for. What more can you ask for? 🙂

half ton

Legendary Knight
I infiltrated Norfolk/Suffolk & lived to tell the tale 🙂
I'm home safe & not being held in a Suffolk cellar as part of a local blood line thinning breeding program 😳
Yep you were lucky, I put the word out to some of my Uncles on the border as they were looking out for some fresh meat, The three goats they share the house with are getting a little choosy at bedtime so you would have been a welcome change (they aint fussy😁 ) Uncle Julie thought he smelt a Noramton dweller a couple o miles away but you'd gone when they got there