What have you done to your bike today....

GaleForceEight

Legendary Knight
went for a test ride of the Royal Enfield Meteor yesterday. was on my way home and came across a chap broken down on a YS125. Stopped to help and he had a broken clutch cable. Sorted him out with an emergency repair cable to get him home. Lovely young lad, and appreciated that someone stoped to help despite he was on L plates.

half ton

Legendary Knight
I took one out a couple of weeks ago,I found it very comfortable,So easy to ride and for a cruiser type bike it changed direction very swiftly, If aftermarket power increases become available then I would definitely consider one, It just needs a little more than 20bhp,one test ride I watched had dynode it and it was a true 17bhp at the rear wheel.

smib

Legendary Knight
I took one out a couple of weeks ago,I found it very comfortable,So easy to ride and for a cruiser type bike it changed direction very swiftly, If aftermarket power increases become available then I would definitely consider one, It just needs a little more than 20bhp,one test ride I watched had dynode it and it was a true 17bhp at the rear wheel.
I think the RE range is deliberately underpowered to give longevity to the home market of India. My Himalayan is 24 BHP, I ride that thing flat out most of the time with no issues.
Possibly once you start hot rodding the engine, reliability may suffer..... Maybe?🤔

GaleForceEight

Legendary Knight
How did you find the Meteor to ride
On the whole it was a nice bike to ride.

Very responsive. Feels lighter than its weight would indicate and goes where you look very nicely.

It’s a 350 without all that much power; will cruise all day at 60 happily, but don’t ask too much more of it because by 65 you are running out of steam. Will reach 70 at a push so long as you’re not on an uphill gradient.

I am 5’8” with a 29” inseam. Design wise foot forward riding position is a nice change to my sorts tourer BUT they designed the foot pegs flat and parallel to the ground so your feet are pronated and don’t feel naturally sited. Round pegs rather than plate style pegs would make it easier. I am sure if I was wearing sandals like most of the folks in the Indian marketplace will be, it would have been more comfortable, but in boots my feet didn’t sit naturally on the pegs in relation to the gear levers. This could maybe be ameliorated by moving the lever positions by moving it one spline around on the gearbox. The heel shifter takes a half hour to get used to and I could that by sticking a knee and toe out slightly for the change it felt easier.

Gearbox was nice and smooth.

Mirrors would need to be binned and replaced by bar end mirrors; they were a little buzzy at anything over 45-50.

Engine was sweet for a single, but as said it runs out of puff after 60mph, and dropping down a gear doesn’t help with that.

The seat needs breaking in. The scoop was about an inch in the wrong place for my dimensions. As it is such a low seat height my bet is that a slightly higher seat, or 1000 miles in the saddle would fix that. Would definitely go for the touring seat over the standard.

Clutch lever was really light and easy - it’s not a slipper clutch so that was a pleasant surprise!

I am being picky, but if I am not saying that something was wrong or out of place it means it didn’t stand out as having anything wrong with it!

Fit and finish is generally very good; plastic filler cap cover was a bit loose and tacky. Did I mention the mirrors?

On the whole I liked it. I am not used to the cruiser riding position but it’s a fun little machine that I can see being great for urban commutes and lazy backroad summer fun. Forget it if you need something to quickly eat up miles on fast roads - it wasn’t designed for that and it won’t do it efficiently.

GaleForceEight

Legendary Knight
I think the RE range is deliberately underpowered to give longevity to the home market of India. My Himalayan is 24 BHP, I ride that thing flat out most of the time with no issues.
Possibly once you start hot rodding the engine, reliability may suffer..... Maybe?🤔
TEC camshaft and go up a tooth on the front sprocket? would get you a few more ponies and gearing differentials that would translate to higher cruising speed at lower revs while maintaining the nice torque levels!

smib

Legendary Knight
On the whole it was a nice bike to ride.

Very responsive. Feels lighter than its weight would indicate and goes where you look very nicely.

It’s a 350 without all that much power; will cruise all day at 60 happily, but don’t ask too much more of it because by 65 you are running out of steam. Will reach 70 at a push so long as you’re not on an uphill gradient.

I am 5’8” with a 29” inseam. Design wise foot forward riding position is a nice change to my sorts tourer BUT they designed the foot pegs flat and parallel to the ground so your feet are pronated and don’t feel naturally sited. Round pegs rather than plate style pegs would make it easier. I am sure if I was wearing sandals like most of the folks in the Indian marketplace will be, it would have been more comfortable, but in boots my feet didn’t sit naturally on the pegs in relation to the gear levers. This could maybe be ameliorated by moving the lever positions by moving it one spline around on the gearbox. The heel shifter takes a half hour to get used to and I could that by sticking a knee and toe out slightly for the change it felt easier.

Gearbox was nice and smooth.

Mirrors would need to be binned and replaced by bar end mirrors; they were a little buzzy at anything over 45-50.

Engine was sweet for a single, but as said it runs out of puff after 60mph, and dropping down a gear doesn’t help with that.

The seat needs breaking in. The scoop was about an inch in the wrong place for my dimensions. As it is such a low seat height my bet is that a slightly higher seat, or 1000 miles in the saddle would fix that. Would definitely go for the touring seat over the standard.

Clutch lever was really light and easy - it’s not a slipper clutch so that was a pleasant surprise!

I am being picky, but if I am not saying that something was wrong or out of place it means it didn’t stand out as having anything wrong with it!

Fit and finish is generally very good; plastic filler cap cover was a bit loose and tacky. Did I mention the mirrors?

On the whole I liked it. I am not used to the cruiser riding position but it’s a fun little machine that I can see being great for urban commutes and lazy backroad summer fun. Forget it if you need something to quickly eat up miles on fast roads - it wasn’t designed for that and it won’t do it efficiently.
Good review, looks a good commuter workhorse!

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
I've spent eight and half hours including riding on my own with pillion and with my little bent mate who is going for his bike test soon and no other kind of test that I know of and had a spectacular day of riding bikes and meeting bike people and really enjoying the whole motorbike experience..Met biker gang from poland at ladybower dam and got a round of applause in glossop when beeping at loads of bikers and having to do a U turn in front of them stalled and got a standing ovation from the crowd..
I visited a Duck Miltia training camp and met a duck that barks..got a video to prove it but can't post it..
Had icecream and been Airport pub in Manchester watching the planes and having fun..
An absolutely top day of motorbiking heaven..loved every minute of it...Screenshot_20210718-204554_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210718-204629_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210718-204649_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210718-204659_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210718-204634_Gallery.jpg

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
The person that agreed is a cheeky cunt. :D

If you're comfortable doing basic servicing and shite like valve clearances swapping a cam isn't a huge stretch.

Don't. Drop. The. Chain.

Soon as it's free wire the fucker to a top tube or somesuch.

There endeth the lesson. ;)
Ooh I wanna agree so I can be a cheeky cunt but maybe less emphasis on the cheeky and more on the 😉