What have you done to your bike today....

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Yep it would take both bolts to sheer off, as, when you brake, the caliper is pulled onto it's mounting bolts by it's grip on the disc and is designed to mate quite snugly against the back of the fork leg so the biggest danger would be the calliper moving up on the disc and jamming inbetween the wheel and the fork and I am not even sure that can happen because I seem to recall that the calliper on the disc can't move far enough up to come off the disc before it is stopped in it's upward motion by the wheel rim/tyre. In my post I did say that I wouldn't in reality actually use anything other than the right kind of bolts myself but I suspect that it wouldn't be too dangerous to use non-standard bolts as long as they fitted well. I believe that brake callipers and their mountings are designed in such a way as to spread the forces as much as possible within the system. I suspect that sufficient braking force to sheer those bolts would have sent the rider arse over tit long before the bolts gave way.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Hmmmm I think I will find someone I don't like (which ain't hard) and take one bolt off each of their front callipers and see what happens next time they go for a spin.

All I was trying to say is that those awfully clever folks who design such things (definitely not me) try to do it in such a way that, should something fail in the system it won't be lights out for the pilot.

MICK60

Legendary Knight
Yep it would take both bolts to sheer off, as, when you brake, the caliper is pulled onto it's mounting bolts by it's grip on the disc and is designed to mate quite snugly against the back of the fork leg so the biggest danger would be the calliper moving up on the disc and jamming inbetween the wheel and the fork and I am not even sure that can happen because I seem to recall that the calliper on the disc can't move far enough up to come off the disc before it is stopped in it's upward motion by the wheel rim/tyre. In my post I did say that I wouldn't in reality actually use anything other than the right kind of bolts myself but I suspect that it wouldn't be too dangerous to use non-standard bolts as long as they fitted well. I believe that brake callipers and their mountings are designed in such a way as to spread the forces as much as possible within the system. I suspect that sufficient braking force to sheer those bolts would have sent the rider arse over tit long before the bolts gave way.
I will let you know :)

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Well it's 0339hrs and I've decided I shall be using the bike to go work for the first time this year..I must admit to a certain sense of what the fuck am I doing...
However this is more due to the shit state of the roads around here and the amount of cheap shit gravel they throw on the roads to repair them..it just massively increases the skid risk and the front wheel going out from under you...
I'll let you know if I crash on the lane or not later...🦆

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Screenshot_20220323-050710_Gallery.jpg

HOORAY....I made it...Hope the skip ain't symbolic in some weird and wonderful way of the universe trying to tell me something...
Was dodgey as fuck going down our lane and along the side road to join up with the A53..Once on the A53 though the bike handled great...
I think personally that some of our roads are so badly maintained that they possibly contribute to more accidents than we think..🦆

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
View attachment 15780

HOORAY....I made it...Hope the skip ain't symbolic in some weird and wonderful way of the universe trying to tell me something...
Was dodgey as fuck going down our lane and along the side road to join up with the A53..Once on the A53 though the bike handled great...
I think personally that some of our roads are so badly maintained that they possibly contribute to more accidents than we think..🦆
That's not a skip, that's a Parts Bin. 😳

half ton

Legendary Knight
View attachment 15780

I wouldn't park it there mate, It's bound to get hit, I don't know how some of them drivers get their license