What have you done to your bike today....

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Had a good ride over to and around Melton Mowbray on the Guzzi. I came across a human operated railway crossing, I had thought they were a thing of the past, but nice to see one still exists :)

A pic with the daffs...

IMG_20220319_132143152_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220319_132101325.jpg

Got home, had a coffee and then took the Monster out :), I'll give the Bonneville a run in the morning.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
ooh Melton Mowbray Pork Pies "drool" ahem Nice pics as always @Scrappy you lucky bugger you, I cant wait to get out I bet it pisses down when I am ready.

I sympathise with you mate :( Its better than any therapist or drugs getting out on the bike, all the shite in the world disappears for a couple of hours, and it lifts the soul 😁

I hope you're back riding soon, I bet your bike has never been so clean 😉

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Good ride around the Northamptonshire villages this morning, with a brief stop at Pitsford reservoir. The Bonnie is a real babe magnet, I nearly pulled 😂, on the way home I stopped to get some shopping, and a little old lady who much have been late 70s walked over and started chatting to me about the bike, telling me how she loved motorcycles and that her brother had a Bonneville that looked like mine 😁

IMG_20220320_100944850_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220320_100754772.jpg

Flynnt20

Legendary Knight
Finally turned into a right selfish t@at and after running around for what seems like a lifetime decided to tell em all to behave for 24 hours as i need to try and catch up on a few ( Numerous !! ) little jobs that i havent had time for , rebuilt the carbs about 2 months ago on the Thunderbird and finally got em back on this morning , Wow what a feckin difference , that fannying around with the choke for the first 5 mins has finally gone , put a new battery on , Fuck the expense if your gonna do it do it properly , the choke was off after about 30 seconds and sat there ticking over like a Hunter watch , Revved cleanly and didnt start hunting on tick over for the first 5 mins of running , Yippee result and now move onto another little job i have been putting off , Felt a bit guilty about telling them i needed a day in the workshop to myself but i will make it up to them :):p

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Good ride around the Northamptonshire villages this morning, with a brief stop at Pitsford reservoir. The Bonnie is a real babe magnet, I nearly pulled 😂, on the way home I stopped to get some shopping, and a little old lady who much have been late 70s walked over and started chatting to me about the bike, telling me how she loved motorcycles and that her brother had a Bonneville that looked like mine 😁

View attachment 15731
View attachment 15732
Did you get her number...👍🦆

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
I've been out on Stacy with Stacy for a couple of hours...
The front tyre just ain't holding the road at times..I spoke to another versys rider who as found the same problem on certain occasions..
So that's got me wondering if replacement tyre, something like @Tallpaul had on his bike will rectify the matter...
I'm also now looking at moving up to a bigger engine as the versys 650 is fine for a lone rider...it's not so hot with a pillion...🦆

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
I've been out on Stacy with Stacy for a couple of hours...
The front tyre just ain't holding the road at times..I spoke to another versys rider who as found the same problem on certain occasions..
So that's got me wondering if replacement tyre, something like @Tallpaul had on his bike will rectify the matter...
I'm also now looking at moving up to a bigger engine as the versys 650 is fine for a lone rider...it's not so hot with a pillion...🦆
Have you checked the tyre pressures & how the tyres are wearing?

MICK60

Legendary Knight
The stainless engine allen bolt kit,, that i ordered, arrived today. So i went out to fit them, only to find the bike already had them ffs. :) So i thought, fuck it, i'll fit the new ones on the brake calipers. I then discovered i had ordered M8's, and need M10's. Undeterred, and still full of the joys of spring , i thought i would fit the new chrome headlights. Then discovered that the connection plugs are the wrong type. Not being the defeatest type i came back indoors, poured a huge Vodka and skinned up a joint of NFG. All is good now in my world, and tomorrow is another day. Plenty of poor bastards out there, that are not having it so easy. God bless every one of them.

chas

Legendary Knight
The stainless engine allen bolt kit,, that i ordered, arrived today. So i went out to fit them, only to find the bike already had them ffs. :) So i thought, fuck it, i'll fit the new ones on the brake calipers. I then discovered i had ordered M8's, and need M10's. Undeterred, and still full of the joys of spring , i thought i would fit the new chrome headlights. Then discovered that the connection plugs are the wrong type. Not being the defeatest type i came back indoors, poured a huge Vodka and skinned up a joint of NFG. All is good now in my world, and tomorrow is another day. Plenty of poor bastards out there, that are not having it so easy. God bless every one of them.
Technically you shouldn't fit normal A2 SS bolts as caliper mounts as they're not high tensile.
Having said that I've seen it done and I've never seen a failure. But as you haven't got the right size to hand anyway make sure you order High Tensile bolts ;)
[edit] And check the thread pitch too, at M10 jap stuff tends to stick to 1.25 tpi but European standard tends to be 1.50 tpi. (coarser)

Last edited:

MICK60

Legendary Knight
Technically you shouldn't fit normal A2 SS bolts as caliper mounts as they're not high tensile.
Having said that I've seen it done and I've never seen a failure. But as you haven't got the right size to hand anyway make sure you order High Tensile bolts ;)
[edit] And check the thread pitch too, at M10 jap stuff tends to stick to 1.25 tpi but European standard tends to be 1.50 tpi. (coarser)
Very technical mate. I am impressed But if the bastards look about right, they get graunched in. Sometimes with a bit of oil on them too. :)

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Ah the good old fashioned British approach to engineering of 'that'll feckin' do!' I must admit to being of a similar school.
Funny...
But Noooo Marty!
You're a clever bloke, so think of the forces exerted on caliper retention bolts when the brakes are jammed on.
Especially when said calipers are attempting to stop a 200kg bike. And in our case, an equally lardy/salad dodging rider! 😗

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Well I have to be honest Jez and admit that I always use the specified bolts for things like callipers although I may not necessarily tighten them to the specified torque as I have a habit of setting the correct torque and then adding just a tiny touch more. In the case of calipers though I suspect that the design of is such that, even should one of the bolts come adrift or loosen it wouldn't be catastrophic. May not be pleasant, especially if you are emergency braking at the time but it probably won't kill you.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
May not be pleasant, especially if you are emergency braking at the time but it probably won't kill you.
Eh?
If the caliper bolts give way & the caliper departs company from the disc?
The driver/rider is in big trouble mate!
Admittedly, it's unlikely that more than one retaining bolt would shear at the same time. But for the sake of pennies more. I'd fit high tensile bolts of the correct grade as per @chas's post.