What have you done to your bike today....

MICK60

Legendary Knight
I got a yuasa battery from Tayna. Was quite impressed that the terminals could be altered from side to side.

Delivery was fast. But the courier kindly dumped it in the porch upside down. Good job it was agm not lead acid....
I never buy Yuasa There are batteries on the Tanya site, that are just as good, at less than half the price. I never had a bad one yet.

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
I never buy Yuasa There are batteries on the Tanya site, that are just as good, at less than half the price. I never had a bad one yet.
Good to know.

The one it replaced was 'Exide', I got nearly 18 months out of it before it wouldn't take a charge. Without a maintainer it would be flat enough to not turn the engine over in a fortnight, with just the digital clock running. Nowt wrong with charging system on the bike, tested that.... I was kind of wondering if it was maybe a chink copy. Seen that with branded bosch parts....

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Hmmm I doubt there is really that much difference between all the battery brands but all may have 'bad' examples or one's that have lain on the shelf for longer. I've read folk slagging Motobatt batteries, others slagging Yuasa etc. etc. but I don't think there is a brand that has justifiably been condemned by enough people to label them truly poor quality. I am guessing it's quite hard to make a truly bad battery.

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
I think Mine was a chinky copy. Wasn't a chinky copy price though....

Now. What have I done to mine today? Well Rode it..... Then cursed the f***ing great heap of malingering sh**e roundly and thoroughly. Called it all the f***ing b@*tard c**ting names I could think of.

That frigging rear brake again. Locked solid after about 10 miles. Time to strip it again.... **** **f*fffg *ff.

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
And the swearing continues....

Had an hour to spare this morning, so stripped the spare m/c. Good news is, the bore looks okay, bad news, the rebuild kit supplied as suitable for this cylinder most certainly isn't.

Back online we go, will buy another once I have funds.

Our of interest, I looked for new m/c's.... Errr, that would be a no, then. Certainly not actual triumph ones. Can't find the equivalent in any 'pattern' part. I'll keep looking though, just in case.

Same one was used on quite a few bikes, trident, trophy, and a few others....

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Is this the kit you purchased @Big Sandy ?

some others

If a seal kit fails to work you may be better with a complete cylinder unit

even this lot may help

Last edited:

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
My first port of call would be a GPZ900.
In the pre-production days before the first 900 triples. Triumph dissected a GPZ900 & copied loads from it.
When I took a T300 speed triple out for a rag many years ago I thought it felt very GPZ 900 like.

I thought Kawasaki were heavily involved with the re-startup of Triumph, supplying finance, machinery and engineers :unsure: That being the case then it would be no surprise if there were commonality of some parts and design.

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Is this the kit you purchased
Yeah, that’s what I ordered…not what arrived though. Different supplier. Going to order from sprint manufacturing this time.
Aren't Triumph brakes Nissin
They are, but the Nissin parts list is a friggin minefield. Very confussting….

Gpz900 is an idea….I’ll give that a looksie.

Cleaned the spare master, and I’m not happy with it….there’s been water in it at some point. The pitting might be on the outer edge of the seal space, but might not. Not worth the risk. So will strip the one off the bike next, and see. Trouble is, it’s an alloy body…with steel fixings. Not a good mix.

Thanks for the extra links @Don the Don going to have a good look through those too.

Just been looking at bore cleaning brushes, borrowed one from my mot guy to clean this one out, but I like my own stuff.