What have you done to your bike today....

chas

Legendary Knight
Got a leiu day today so cleaned it!

Only joking, course not 😁

Went down to the coast for some fish and bought twice as much as I intended. And a crab for my lunch.
IMAG5712~2.jpg
Stopped at the pub by the lighthouses before getting the fish for a cheeky half and found a couple of old gits on bikes to talk to. There was also a guy who works on the RHDR steam railway so it wasn't *all* bike talk 😁

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Got a leiu day today so cleaned it!

Only joking, course not 😁

Went down to the coast for some fish and bought twice as much as I intended. And a crab for my lunch.
View attachment 16977
Stopped at the pub by the lighthouses before getting the fish for a cheeky half and found a couple of old gits on bikes to talk to. There was also a guy who works on the RHDR steam railway so it wasn't *all* bike talk 😁
Bikes looking good @chas crab for Lunch MMmmm nice

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
The *insert expletive expletive expletive fechin expletive* m/c I have just taken off has both holes in the *you know the drill* circlip rusted out. Can't get the *!* out. That's that plan goosed.... (polite, huh?)

So going to look for a direct replacement. I think second hand is maybe an option, but new would be better. Bound to be something I can swap it for.... May have to alter the pull/operating rod. Typical that the sun is burning my eyes out today.... Mind, I wouldn't have time to go out... Ate my lunch with a coating of brake fluid as it is.....

Threatening to sell it for scrap didn't work.... 😡😡😡😡

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
I thought Kawasaki were heavily involved with the re-startup of Triumph, supplying finance, machinery and engineers :unsure: That being the case then it would be no surprise if there were commonality of some parts and design.
It wasn't just Kawasaki but a complete study of modern motorcycle manufacture in Japan to study from the best.

From

Reborn in the 1990s

In 1983, the Triumph name and manufacturing rights were quietly purchased by John Bloor, a plasterer turned real estate magnate who had become one of the United Kingdoms's wealthiest individuals. Bloor, who had little interest in motorcycles, had for some time wanted to start up a manufacturing business. Touring the Meriden plant, which was slated for demolition in 1984, Bloor became interested in Triumph, and particularly its still highly regarded brand name.

Due to the fact that the company's manufacturing plant and its designs were too far out of date to compete against the now-dominant Japanese makers, Bloor did not relaunch Triumph immediately. Instead, production of the Triumph Bonneville was licensed to a small plant in Devon, which produced the model on a limited scale until 1988. In the meantime, Bloor set to work assembling the new Triumph, hiring several of the group's former designers to begin work on new models. Bloor took his team to Japan on a tour of its competitors' facilities and became determined to adopt Japanese manufacturing techniques and especially new-generation computer controlled machinery. In 1985, Triumph purchased a first set of equipment to begin working, in secret, on its new prototype models. By 1987, the company had completed its first engine. The following year, the company purchased a new site in Hinckley and began construction of a new, state-of-the-art facility, completed in 1990.

In that year, Triumph returned to the worldwide motorcycle scene with the launch of six new models. Full-scale production began in 1991, as the company, now with nearly 100 employees, produced some 1,200 motorcycles. Bloor, who continued to bankroll the company's development from his own fortune, had correctly judged that the Triumph name remained a strong marketing tool, and by the end of 1991 the company had begun shipping to Germany, then Holland, Australia, and France. The company also shrewdly kept many of the original Triumph model names from its heyday. By 1992, the company's production had already topped 5,000 motorcycles.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Would something like this not do @Big Sandy ?

or there's this one too

I would just slap it on and go rather than re-building it though. But that's just me and my devil may care 'She'll be right' attitude and by no means the advice that a qualified mechanic would give.

Myself I had a reasonably productive day. Got an IACV stepper motor meant for a Peugot 306 in the mail that I took a punt on as it looked rather similar to the Triumph one and cost ten quid shipped rather than eighty. Guess what! It fit straight on. Yes I had to remove the valve part meant for a Peugot and replace it with the one from the Triumph stepper and fart about with it a bit to get it to roughly the right position but, once that was done she fired up off the button and all seems to be well. Apart from the plast 'valve' part the Peugot and Triumph stepper motors are identical in all dimensions.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Ermm.... Well I suspect that the Frog's conned Triumph into using these valves. It doesn't seem like anyone uses them any more and so it's only engines from the early 2000's that use them with later models using solenoid gizmo's that open the main throttles rather than having a separate idle circuit. I'll need to lay in a couple of spares though for future use while you can still get them. Can't be many early 00's Citroen's and Peugot's around any more.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member

or there's this one too

I would just slap it on and go rather than re-building it though. But that's just me and my devil may care 'She'll be right' attitude and by no means the advice that a qualified mechanic would give.

Myself I had a reasonably productive day. Got an IACV stepper motor meant for a Peugot 306 in the mail that I took a punt on as it looked rather similar to the Triumph one and cost ten quid shipped rather than eighty. Guess what! It fit straight on. Yes I had to remove the valve part meant for a Peugot and replace it with the one from the Triumph stepper and fart about with it a bit to get it to roughly the right position but, once that was done she fired up off the button and all seems to be well. Apart from the plast 'valve' part the Peugot and Triumph stepper motors are identical in all dimensions.
Nice one Marty 😃
Many moons ago I needed front wheels bearings for my Honda despatch bike.
Honda wanted a fecking eye watering amount of money! 😳
I cleaned up the existing shagged ones to just about make out the code number. Then went to a local place called Premier Bearings.
They sold me an identical set for 1/5th of the price Honda wanted.
From memory (but it was a loooong time ago) I think they said they were the bearings from an alternator fitted to a 3.5 V8 Rover?
Bearings are bearings. They don't have to come in a Honda box 🙂

MICK60

Legendary Knight
Hmmm I doubt there is really that much difference between all the battery brands but all may have 'bad' examples or one's that have lain on the shelf for longer. I've read folk slagging Motobatt batteries, others slagging Yuasa etc. etc. but I don't think there is a brand that has justifiably been condemned by enough people to label them truly poor quality. I am guessing it's quite hard to make a truly bad battery.
i think a lot of them are made in the same factory, and just labelled to suit the company.

chas

Legendary Knight

or there's this one too

That's a nice bit of lateral thinking that's worked out well mate. There are very few 'model specific' parts, the manufacturers identify an existing part and utilise it.

Finding that bastard needle in the haystack though is another matter indeed, we've all got the gut feel that the m/c that Sandy needs is fitted to twenty Hondas, five Yamahas, ten Suzukis and seven Kawasakis. And there is one costing a tenner on eBay right now.

Finding it?

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
It wasn't just Kawasaki but a complete study of modern motorcycle manufacture in Japan to study from the best.

From

Reborn in the 1990s

In 1983, the Triumph name and manufacturing rights were quietly purchased by John Bloor, a plasterer turned real estate magnate who had become one of the United Kingdoms's wealthiest individuals. Bloor, who had little interest in motorcycles, had for some time wanted to start up a manufacturing business. Touring the Meriden plant, which was slated for demolition in 1984, Bloor became interested in Triumph, and particularly its still highly regarded brand name.

Due to the fact that the company's manufacturing plant and its designs were too far out of date to compete against the now-dominant Japanese makers, Bloor did not relaunch Triumph immediately. Instead, production of the Triumph Bonneville was licensed to a small plant in Devon, which produced the model on a limited scale until 1988. In the meantime, Bloor set to work assembling the new Triumph, hiring several of the group's former designers to begin work on new models. Bloor took his team to Japan on a tour of its competitors' facilities and became determined to adopt Japanese manufacturing techniques and especially new-generation computer controlled machinery. In 1985, Triumph purchased a first set of equipment to begin working, in secret, on its new prototype models. By 1987, the company had completed its first engine. The following year, the company purchased a new site in Hinckley and began construction of a new, state-of-the-art facility, completed in 1990.

In that year, Triumph returned to the worldwide motorcycle scene with the launch of six new models. Full-scale production began in 1991, as the company, now with nearly 100 employees, produced some 1,200 motorcycles. Bloor, who continued to bankroll the company's development from his own fortune, had correctly judged that the Triumph name remained a strong marketing tool, and by the end of 1991 the company had begun shipping to Germany, then Holland, Australia, and France. The company also shrewdly kept many of the original Triumph model names from its heyday. By 1992, the company's production had already topped 5,000 motorcycles.

I distinctly remember it being in the news when Triumph's rebirth occurred that Kawasaki were involved, but I can't find any evidence of it now, just speculation like Kawasaki owning shares (possibly up to 49%) for up to 12 years :confused:

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
That's pretty much what was said in this forum: https://www.street-triple.co.uk/index.php?topic=5153.0
The daughter of mate of mine was John Bloors secretary in the early days. She was only involved in his other (non bike related business)
He was/is a superb businessman but he had little knowledge of bikes.

Myself & my mate suggested that the rebirth of Triumph should mirror the reasons Triumph bit the dust. i.e. copy the Japs but over engineer their bikes. Exactly like the Japs did to kill the British bike industry. To turn the tables on them.
We never got to meet John but we told him (via his secretary) that a GPZ900 was a great bike to strip, check & try to emulate.

That's a 100% true story & he may have taken us/her up on the suggestion? 🙂

The 90's Triumphs are bomb-proof. Unlike the built to a budget current Triumphs.

MICK60

Legendary Knight
That's a nice bit of lateral thinking that's worked out well mate. There are very few 'model specific' parts, the manufacturers identify an existing part and utilise it.

Finding that bastard needle in the haystack though is another matter indeed, we've all got the gut feel that the m/c that Sandy needs is fitted to twenty Hondas, five Yamahas, ten Suzukis and seven Kawasakis. And there is one costing a tenner on eBay right now.

Finding it?
There was /is, a website that cross referenced thousands of parts. But i lost it a couple of years ago, when my laptop fucked up, and haven't been able to find it since. It proved that the more expensive the bike, the more expensive the part was. A radiator cap for my Kawasaki Nomad was about £45, i got the same one for a Honda XL250, for £5.A starter motor was about £800, i got one for a Suzuki GS400, for about £130.