What have you done to your bike today....

Tallpaul

Legendary Knight
Yes Sarky, it does, but I'm hoping it doesn't work like that! One of my riding mates was out with us on Sunday over the Brecon Beacons. We rode exactly the same roads, through the same showers and puddles. When we stopped on top of the last hill, his top box, mounting plate and seat were all clean. Mine not so much. Ordered this one within 30 mins of getting home.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
More testing of the Daytona today and she is running sweet with her Peugot Stepper motor. Starting on the button and not missing a beat. Spent some time filling in little, but deep, scratches and very minor 'dinks' in her paintwork with a touch of paint and lacquer followed by cutting back and polishing. Not 'invisible' as I have found that it's never possbile to truly get rid of scratches and dinks (especially when they are through the metalic paint to the primer) without a much more brutal approach to re-finishing but you have to really look for them to spot them and, to be honest, there are a lot of blemishes in the original factory applied paint. Definitely not to the standard that my Bonnie's were painted by the factory if, of course, the Daytona bodywork was painted by the factory and not by the Italians at Acerbis who made the tanks although I don't know if they also did the plastics. Funny how the rusty rims on Bonnie's and dodgy plastic tanks on Daytona's and Sprints all come from Italian companies innit.

chas

Legendary Knight
More testing of the Daytona today and she is running sweet with her Peugot Stepper motor. Starting on the button and not missing a beat. Spent some time filling in little, but deep, scratches and very minor 'dinks' in her paintwork with a touch of paint and lacquer followed by cutting back and polishing. Not 'invisible' as I have found that it's never possbile to truly get rid of scratches and dinks (especially when they are through the metalic paint to the primer) without a much more brutal approach to re-finishing but you have to really look for them to spot them and, to be honest, there are a lot of blemishes in the original factory applied paint. Definitely not to the standard that my Bonnie's were painted by the factory if, of course, the Daytona bodywork was painted by the factory and not by the Italians at Acerbis who made the tanks although I don't know if they also did the plastics. Funny how the rusty rims on Bonnie's and dodgy plastic tanks on Daytona's and Sprints all come from Italian companies innit.
I tip my hat to your patience in sorting that. Glad to hear it's done and I truly pray I don't encounter the same problem. I'm ok with hammers 'n spanners but anything over basic electrics can leave me floundering.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Italian chrome is a bit of an oxymoron. It's more blinga. Have you had the tyres off? Mine looked slightly corroded in the creases but inside and under the rim tape it looked more like a burnt out T72! Definitely built for Harry Verderci in Rimini not Harry Ramsden in Leeds.....

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
I've had the tyres off one of my Bonnie's and yes there was plenty of the old Iron Oxide inside. The spokes are spotless (I think they might be stainless steel?) and rims were actually solid once I had gotten rid of the red stuff but I suspect I may well need wheel re-builds in the future if I don't keep them away from haitch two oh. I think that both my Bonnie's have rarely seen water in their lives which makes the rust all the more annoying.

On the electricals @chas I have to say that the 955i's aren't actually that bad in all honesty with the system being fairly basic in truth. The IACV steppers seem to be a very weak point considering that this is my third bike with the same fault and the Reg/rec which is also my third 955i with this fault. Other than those it ain't too bad.

When I discussed this fault on the Facebook group there were a thousand and one suggestions as to the culprit including valve tolerance (unlikely as it wouldn't just suddenly affect performance but be a long gradual decline), Fuel Pressure Regulator (Nope can't be as, when I actually studied that thing it is simply a pressure relief valve fed from the end of the Injector rail (Upper hose on the tank) and vents fuel to the air (originally these were attached via a hose to the airbox) if too much pressure builds up in the injector rail. My gut at the start screamed 'It'll be the bloody IACV again!' but I didn't trust my gut and spent ages fannying about following all manner of increasingly unlikely possibilities. It's a doddle to buy one of the Peugot IACV's (if it looks like the same unit then it's the one you need just watch out that the body is evenly diamond shaped around the actuator as that's the design that fits, swap the plunger with the one from the original IACV and then, and this is the tricky bit, dick about with screwing the plunger home in the body until it'll sit about two millimetres below the top of the IACV housing and this may need you to push down with a reasonable amount of pressure while screwing the plunger in. After that it's a matter of using TuneECU to makes small adjustments until the bike is idling at 1200rpm or thereabouts. Of course the simple alternative is to fork out seventy odd quid for a 'genuine' Triumph one and just swap it in for the duffed one although I suspect that even that will then need a little tweaking in TuneECU unless it's set up spot on in the packet.

Last edited:

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
I think you have done a grand job in sorting out this problem and for identifying a replacement part, something that could save other folk a lot of heartache. must agree on Italian chrome of old, you could peel it off even from the forks.

Last edited:

GPT100

Sword of Fenrir
Been cleaning the Bonneville over the past 2 days after the NW200 trip, makes me think about another bike with less chrome to polish. The trip was as usual wet , but I still enjoyed it, met a elderly gentleman who lived next-door to our digs he had a garage full of old brit bikes. He still ride at 84 years old, he let us park our bikes in his yard.
Now looking for digs for next year.

Attachments

• 20220511_115711.jpg
    20220511_115711.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220511_090102.jpg
    20220511_090102.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220519_125925.jpg
    20220519_125925.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220519_125906.jpg
    20220519_125906.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 13

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Alas poor optimate you knew it well,😞 does this mean you are taking the hammer to the piggy bank for a new one? 😲
He's slipping the black armband on in memory of the Optimate. Before a long lay down in a darkened room. With a tape on a constant loop. Quietly repeating..."It's only £60 Foxy. Deep breaths mate!"... 😉

@Foxy If you fancy a massive upgrade from your ancient Optimate. I have one of these brand new in its box...

Yours for £55 inc postage.

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
He's slipping the black armband on in memory of the Optimate. Before a long lay down in a darkened room. With a tape on a constant loop. Quietly repeating..."It's only £60 Foxy. Deep breaths mate!"... 😉

@Foxy If you fancy a massive upgrade from your ancient Optimate. I have one of these brand new in its box...

Yours for £55 inc postage.
🤣🤣 Funny old thing that "I just have one" kick a man when he is in mourning

joking aside that's a decent price, they are based in Yorkshire too, Aye up @Foxy a reit chance to save some money mate