What have you done to your bike today....

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Nope I must admit I haven't and I guess that batteries aren't really so expensive that it's too much to have to replace them every few years. Now if there was a way to fill the tank for cheaper that would be a different matter! Filled a Jerry can today and with thirty quid in it I still had space when the same can, not that long ago at all wouldn't hold twenty quid's worth!

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Trawling ebay as you do.... Found a nice shiny looking rear master cylinder, price £9.99....so open the page. Its in the U.S.A....so converted from dollar, its £9.99 plus just shy of £20 shipping. So at £30 its cheaper, and in better nick than any I have found in the UK. Even the brake switch is shiny!

Question is, having never ordered from abroad, do I get slapped with any import taxes, vat, etc when it comes into the UK? Its a company selling it, so not likely to write "gift" on the customs declaration.... What do you think? They say they do international shipping.

I have just bought a seal kit for mine, its worth a try.... Been asking 'friends' with lathes if they could sleeve it with stainless, but that seems to be a no.

Old Nick

Legendary Knight
Trawling ebay as you do.... Found a nice shiny looking rear master cylinder, price £9.99....so open the page. Its in the U.S.A....so converted from dollar, its £9.99 plus just shy of £20 shipping. So at £30 its cheaper, and in better nick than any I have found in the UK. Even the brake switch is shiny!

Question is, having never ordered from abroad, do I get slapped with any import taxes, vat, etc when it comes into the UK? Its a company selling it, so not likely to write "gift" on the customs declaration.... What do you think? They say they do international shipping.

I have just bought a seal kit for mine, its worth a try.... Been asking 'friends' with lathes if they could sleeve it with stainless, but that seems to be a no.
The import limit I think is £135 before VAT becomes payable, so you should be OK and if bought on EBay global shipping scheme all other import costs should be included IIRC

Edited for VAT value and bear in mind you are buying used goods so should in theory be VAT free - be prepared to argue….

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Nope I must admit I haven't and I guess that batteries aren't really so expensive that it's too much to have to replace them every few years. Now if there was a way to fill the tank for cheaper that would be a different matter! Filled a Jerry can today and with thirty quid in it I still had space when the same can, not that long ago at all wouldn't hold twenty quid's worth!
Our of interest, what are you paying per litre?

Petrol here is 172.9ppl, and derv is 179.9ppl. At Dunnets garage in Thurso yesterday it was 188.9ppl for derv... Needless to say I did not fill up at Dunnets.

Coalman was telling me the other day that they sell red diesel, (well, I think its actually green now?) but you have to sign a register for it. The local 'white vans' have stopped buying it, and are now buying heating oil, as that's untracked.

Heating oil has no lubricants in though, so they get round that by putting 20ml of 2 stroke oil in per gallon.

I had the Landy tank dipped a while back, no worries as I have always run white. It's a £1000 fine for running red... My mot guy runs 4 big scanias, he says he's had his tank dipped once in about 15 years. He said it would have been worth his while to get a grands worth of a fine over what he could have saved using red in 15 years....

Scrappy

Legendary Knight

If you can ask them to send it marked as a gift, then you shouldn't pay any VAT, as VAT is not charged on gifts valued at less than £39, and customs duty is not charged on goods below £135, so I think you should be able to get away with it. :unsure:

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
If your buying from overseas eBay arrange all the shipping documentation cross borders
Aaah... So is that done automatically?

I just mailed the seller to ask about the shipping, as it says in the blurb about contacting them for shipping rates. I think the shipping they advertise is domestic rate...

Old Nick

Legendary Knight
Aaah... So is that done automatically?

I just mailed the seller to ask about the shipping, as it says in the blurb about contacting them for shipping rates. I think the shipping they advertise is domestic rate...
Usually yes it is - if I ever sold anything overseas it automatically became the only option(y)

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
For example this from the US is using the eBay global shipping programme so all the costs are listed:

Screenshot 2022-05-21 184047.jpg

Whereas this one you would get stung for VAT and customs when it arrives in the UK:

Screenshot 2022-05-21 184134.jpg

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
For example this from the US is using the eBay global shipping programme so all the costs are listed:

View attachment 17092

Whereas this one you would get stung for VAT and customs when it arrives in the UK:

View attachment 17093
This be the one I was looking at...

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Hmm battery 'desulfator' I wonder if it's worth getting one of those doohickeys.
Some geek stuff to reassure we 'traditionalists'.

The fundamental problem is that most bike batteries for reasons of size are under specified for the tasks they perform. They are too easily drained to the point where lifespan is impacted. A smart charger simply automates battery maintenance to ensure trouble free starting and maximal life.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
I think I paid about £1.68 a litre for petrol t'other day @Big Sandy so a few pennies per litre cheaper than you and diesel has been consistently around10pee more per litre. It was at the petrol station in Strachur, between me and Dunoon, yesterday and it's always more expensive down that way than it is at Arrochar heading in the other direction as I think the fuel stations are charged a premium for shipping the stuff to the stations in Cowal because it ain't on the road to anywhere else and so the have to make a journey just to get fuel to one station (all four stations in Cowal are different fuel companies). I think it was about £1.65 a litre or maybe even £1.63 when I grabbed some at Arrochar a week or two ago.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
This be the one I was looking at...

It's not using the global shipping programme, but as said previously because of the low price you should avoid VAT and customs charge.