What have you done to your bike today....

chas

Legendary Knight
I'd see if that 'dash blank' still happens when you've got the battery augmented by a jump from the car.
Maybe revisit (boring, but it's raining so what else yo gonna do?) all the static continuity tests for the reg/rec and generator. And if you get it to run, the output tests.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Getting plenty of juice through from the alternator (new Reg/rectifier not that long ago) @BAD LUCK DUCK but, I will chase that up if all else fails. The alternator just happens to be one of the few things that ain't common between the Sprints and Daytona's so I don't have a spare to had and, ulike your Sprint, the alternator is on the end of the crank rather than up on the back of the motor.

My mean Scots wallet is reluctant to open for a new battery but I can't think of anything else that could really be a likely candidate for this problem now. The battery on the Daytona was there when I got it just over a year ago and so is at least a year old but probably more as the bike was for sale for a least a couple of months before I bought it and the battery I tried as an alternative (from my running Sprint) is a minimum of two years old. Both are Yuasa's but even so I am guessing that, between not getting a great deal of use in the last year or two and both having been 'abused' by failing regulator/rectifiers at one point they are possibly not in the best of condition. With quite a bit less compression I guess the Sprint is far more tolerant but the Daytona is reputed to be a difficult bugger to start even when it was new.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Tempted to try a 'chuck' test on the feckin' thing @Don the Don and see just how far I can throw a YTX-14BS battery! Interesting that that article says " If the motor is cranking and the speed sounds about right it probably ain't your battery" and then tells you to try seeing how much of a voltage drop you get on the battery while cranking the motor.

Interestingly I came across a video on Youtube where a yank's Daytona seemed to have very similar starting problems and his 'cure' he says is to hold the starter button down for about five seconds before pulling in the clutch. Says it works a treat and folks commenting on the vid say it worked for them. If it wasn't for the time of night and the likelihood I'd be lynched for making a racket by the neighbours I'd be out testing that one now to see if it works. I am tempted to get an order in for a fresh battery from Tayna as it wouldn't do the bike any harm but my wallet is screaming that it's an unnecessary expense.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
chas is right. You can eliminate all starting doubts by hooking up a car battery. If that works then the bike battery is 'tired'. Furthermore if it hasn't had a splash of fresh fuel in the last couple of months it will be that much harder to start with the most volatile element having already evaporated off. Wet plugs produce weaker sparks. It's what you have a gas ring for - to clean and pre-heat them. Unfortunately I suspect that like me you live in a gas free area. Blow torch?!

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
You could try a drop test on the battery
Hmmm.

Years ago I was in Land Ranger Services in Middlewich (LR indi) talking to the owner. The phone goes....

Terry "Hello? Oh yes.... Probably a tired battery. How? Oh, right, well to test it you could put a drop test on it. OK. Right, then, see you, bye..."

Conversation continues.

Few minutes later (and he's got me spending money now) the phone goes again.

Terry "Hello? Oh, yes, hi.... Oh, you did?" (his face is going red) "Oh, yes... In that case definitely. Yes, we have plenty in stock. Yup. See you soon... Bye...." and puts the phone down, then bursts out laughing.

After he got his breath back he explained that the guy on the other end had put a drop test on his battery. But, now he needs a new one because it cracked the casing when it hit the floor, and the acid is leaking out... 🤣

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
I really enjoyed the ride into work today...
To be honest I didn't want the ride to end...
I was totally at peace with myself and thought this is how life should be..
All to soon I was at the bus depot and I thought bollox I hate my life...
The power of motorbikes though..Better than any doctor or medication..In my case anyway 🦆

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Hmmm.

Years ago I was in Land Ranger Services in Middlewich (LR indi) talking to the owner. The phone goes....

Terry "Hello? Oh yes.... Probably a tired battery. How? Oh, right, well to test it you could put a drop test on it. OK. Right, then, see you, bye..."

Conversation continues.

Few minutes later (and he's got me spending money now) the phone goes again.

Terry "Hello? Oh, yes, hi.... Oh, you did?" (his face is going red) "Oh, yes... In that case definitely. Yes, we have plenty in stock. Yup. See you soon... Bye...." and puts the phone down, then bursts out laughing.

After he got his breath back he explained that the guy on the other end had put a drop test on his battery. But, now he needs a new one because it cracked the casing when it hit the floor, and the acid is leaking out... 🤣
Some people 🙄 🤣🤣🤣🦆

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Today whilst things are in bits, I intend to clean and paint the bar that supports the caliper, as it has some rust on it. And also make a new (not sure what you'd call it?) bracket thing to hold the flexible 'mudflap?' between the swinging arm and the wheel arch. It's looking skanky and the rubber thingy (😏) could do with replacing....

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Well I tried the 'trick' that I found on Youtube but it didn't work.
Haven't tried hooking up to the car battery but I decided to buy a battery off Tayna and give it a shot. It's a cheap 'Numax' battery but I bought it not because it was cheap but because it's specified as14Ah over the12Ah of the Yuasa and is still rated as having a CCA of 235A against the Yuasa 240A. I figure that it can't do any harm to get a new battery in there anyway.

As you say @Sarky B’stard I guess I'll need to pull the plugs again and hit them with the blowtorch (as you say we got no pipeline gas here and, while some in the village have the bottled kind I don't) which means the bloody tank off again which is a PITA. I can't keep doing that every time they get fouled but maybe just maybe a new battery will fix that. If not I will try swapping over the ECU and all the other sensors one at a time to see if they are at fault. If none of that works then I guess I will have to look inside the motor for a problem though, given the nature of the fault I really can't see it being a mechanical fault in the motor. If all else fails I will take the motor and all the running gear from my Sprint and put it in the Daytona and then I'll have a Sprintona.

The joys of motorcycles! I have spent way more time taking the buggers apart and fiddling with them than I actually have in the saddle!

Last edited:

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Well I tried the 'trick' that I found on Youtube but it didn't work.
Haven't tried hooking up to the car battery but I decided to buy a battery off Tayna and give it a shot. It's a cheap 'Numax' battery but I bought it not because it was cheap but because it's specified as14Ah over the12Ah of the Yuasa and is still rated as having a CCA of 235A against the Yuasa 240A. I figure that it can't do any harm to get a new battery in there anyway.

As you say @Sarky B’stard I guess I'll need to pull the plugs again and hit them with the blowtorch (as you say we got no pipeline gas here and, while some in the village have the bottled kind I don't) which means the bloody tank off again which is a PITA. I can't keep doing that every time they get fouled but maybe just maybe a new battery will fix that. If not I will try swapping over the ECU and all the other sensors one at a time to see if they are at fault. If none of that works then I guess I will have to look inside the motor for a problem though, given the nature of the fault I really can't see it being a mechanical fault in the motor. If all else fails I will take the motor and all the running gear from my Sprint and put it in the Daytona and then I'll have a Sprintona.

The joys of motorcycles! I have spent way more time taking the buggers apart and fiddling with them than I actually have in the saddle!
Sprintona sounds pretty cool to be fair 😎🦆

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Gave mine its annual wash and polish yesterday. Cos I was doing mine mi Grandson wanted to do his.... 😂View attachment 17148View attachment 17150
Lad needs his head shaved a few inappropriate tattoo's and a jacket with loads of patches on it...
I don't mind throwing in some patches I got spare to help the lad on his way to becoming a bad ass biker babe magnet just like me 👍👍🦆

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Caliper steady arm (fer want of the proper name)

Before... IMG_20220523_161325.jpg

After

IMG_20220523_161240.jpg

The flexible mudguard thing retainer before... IMG_20220523_161309.jpg

Fech it... Make a new one...

IMG_20220523_161252.jpg

Before n after...

IMG_20220523_181115.jpg

Trying to decide on a better way of holding the flexible thingy. Rivnuts and stainless bolts, maybe. Was riveted on before.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member