What have you done to your bike today....

smib

Legendary Knight
I kinda get where you're coming from, the 1290 SD is an absolutely bonkers thing to ride, I like the thrill but could easily get carried away, glad you got good money for it, my experience when looking for one was there weren't any cheap ones that were also in great nick with sensible miles on them.

The Tenere will certainly be more suited to both the roads & the geriatric rider on board! ;) :ROFLMAO: :)

Look forward to seeing some pictures when you get it Monty (y)
Cheers BB. The SD R had only 4k miles and was fully loaded. You are right us OAP riders need a slower pace 🤔😉
Methinks 4 wheels may give me the speed thrills from now on?
The money is going towards a Caterham 7. Probably impractical, but I've always wanted one and now is the time

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Cheers BB. The SD R had only 4k miles and was fully loaded. You are right us OAP riders need a slower pace 🤔😉
Methinks 4 wheels may give me the speed thrills from now on?
The money is going towards a Caterham 7. Probably impractical, but I've always wanted one and now is the time
You will absolutely LOVE it Monty!
Last time I checked this was the one to have, if you have deep pockets. But things could have moved on since then mate?..
Also, don't discount the true 7 replicas kit cars with no factory build option.
Obviously you have to be careful cos they are only as good as the monkey that nailed them together.
But as a long term owner of loads of different kit cars (mainly 7's) over many years. I'll happily try to answer any questions you may have & look over anything that's local to me.

Top tip...
Don't get too hung up on the power output. 150bhp in a 500kg car that sits 3" off the ground. Will still have you smiling from ear to ear! 🙂
In fact it might be best to not start with 600bhp per ton? They stick to the road like shit to a blanket. But if they do let go & you crash. You'll probably suffer more injuries than you would in a bike accident. Due to the total lack of safety gizmos on the car & the fact you won't be wearing protective bike gear.
Don't let that put you off though. They are f#ckin awesome toys! 🙂

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Sold my KTM SD R today, got a very good price.
Just not using it enough and not really suited to the roads where I live now......

That's a lie! Its superior ability severely outshines my poor talent 🤪 Old age makes you realise your decreasing abilities!:confused:

As a replacement, bought (well waiting on delivery) a 2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 Rally Edition.

Got the usual shit from er indoors'..... Why do you need two bikes.

"Cos I can" was the reply!
Fair play to you mate...Do we get to see photos of your new nymph of the road😉

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
I've always wanted to give vehicles I own due 'justice', let them perform to the best of their abilities.
I'd never want to own a vehicle and not let it breathe properly.

The Tenere sounds a grin, don't know where you are in Cornwall but it's no place for a large capacity sportsbike or somesuch. Tenere sounds well useable round there
I don't even know tenere looks like 🤔😳

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
You will absolutely LOVE it Monty!
Last time I checked this was the one to have, if you have deep pockets. But things could have moved on since then mate?..
Also, don't discount the true 7 replicas kit cars with no factory build option.
Obviously you have to be careful cos they are only as good as the monkey that nailed them together.
But as a long term owner of loads of different kit cars (mainly 7's) over many years. I'll happily try to answer any questions you may have & look over anything that's local to me.

Top tip...
Don't get too hung up on the power output. 150bhp in a 500kg car that sits 3" off the ground. Will still have you smiling from ear to ear! 🙂
In fact it might be best to not start with 600bhp per ton? They stick to the road like shit to a blanket. But if they do let go & you crash. You'll probably suffer more injuries than you would in a bike accident. Due to the total lack of safety gizmos on the car & the fact you won't be wearing protective bike gear.
Don't let that put you off though. They are f#ckin awesome toys! 🙂
I would agree power is more for bragging rights than on road utility. I built a Westfield with a tuned 1600 Crossflow with twin Webers that was all you needed or could use on Hampshire lanes. It could break traction in 3rd and was great fun but utterly impractical as only a bike can be! I never put it on a roller but it must have produced nearly 120bhp..... more than enough......and light. The Pinto was too heavy for 7 replicas even if it produced more power it compromised corner entry.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
I would agree power is more for bragging rights than on road utility. I built a Westfield with a tuned 1600 Crossflow with twin Webers that was all you needed or could use on Hampshire lanes. It could break traction in 3rd and was great fun but utterly impractical as only a bike can be! I never put it on a roller but it must have produced nearly 120bhp..... more than enough......and light. The Pinto was too heavy for 7 replicas even if it produced more power it compromised corner entry.
The sweet spot these days seems to be somewhere between a 1.6 Zetec & a 2.0 Duratec. Depending on whether you want peaky revs, a wall of torque or a bit of both?
I've seen loads of those engines in kit cars with the EFi removed & a pair of 45's fitted.
Apparently the 45's high speed ability to empty a gallon of fuel into the engine is a good thing?
Not in my book though. They need constant fettling to keep them at their best & they guzzle fuel compared to EFi.
I'd stick with the way Ford built them. Especially the awesome 2.0 Duratec.
Which incidentally @smib Is a 2.0 MX-5 engine but in a lower state of tune. You to could have a touch of the "hairdresser" about you in your old age mate 😉

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
The sweet spot these days seems to be somewhere between a 1.6 Zetec & a 2.0 Duratec. Depending on whether you want peaky revs, a wall of torque or a bit of both?
I've seen loads of those engines in kit cars with the EFi removed & a pair of 45's fitted.
Apparently the 45's high speed ability to empty a gallon of fuel into the engine is a good thing?
Not in my book though. They need constant fettling to keep them at their best & they guzzle fuel compared to EFi.
I'd stick with the way Ford built them. Especially the awesome 2.0 Duratec.
Which incidentally @smib Is a 2.0 MX-5 engine but in a lower state of tune. You to could have a touch of the "hairdresser" about you in your old age mate 😉
Very much agree. My engine had been built and the Webers came in a cardboard box....with completely wrong jetting, emulsion tubes, you name it. Then again, in 1993 there weren’t many medium capacity efi motors lying in scrapyards and I was 3 miles from THE carb experts in the UK. I would transplant any Duratec very happily with all the gubbins.
My receding locks permit extreme nonchalance in the hairdressing department.

Foxy

Legendary Knight
I've only bin using mi bike to commute mi 10 miles each way for work, but manged to do a few more miles yesterday. Had to go to Walton Hospital in Chesterfield, staight from work. A WHOLE 15 Miles!! Managed to get 3 figures up ont Dronfield bypass though, to blow t'cobwebs out.