What have you done to your bike today....

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
This was Sunday, I took a brief stop in Lyme Regis after leaving Bournmouth on my way to Ilfracombe

IMG_20210905_103718099.jpg

Sunday lunchtime at a bistro in Bickleigh

IMG_20210905_131642734_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210905_124027808_HDR.jpg

Then this was on Monday after I had ridden up through the fog from Lynmouth, it was a pretty spectacular view...

IMG_20210906_095607578.jpg
IMG_20210906_095458169.jpg

This was Lynmouth below the cloud/fog

IMG_20210906_094300247_HDR.jpg

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Well today I did a check over of the Sprint again as I've booked her in for MOT tomorrow and guess what? The SAME FECKIN' PROBLEM is back! This time I'm pretty sure it is the Reg/Rec after all. Despite her running sweet every time I tested her over the last couple of days she threw up the engine management light and this time when I checked there was 17V or so at the battery. I guess the damn thing has been flicking between working (every feckin' time I tested it) and not working every time I wasn't testing it. I guess I am going to have to borrow the reg/rec off my Daytona in order to get it down for MOT. My pet MOT guy will take the huff if I cancel him again.

chas

Legendary Knight
Well today I did a check over of the Sprint again as I've booked her in for MOT tomorrow and guess what? The SAME FECKIN' PROBLEM is back! This time I'm pretty sure it is the Reg/Rec after all. Despite her running sweet every time I tested her over the last couple of days she threw up the engine management light and this time when I checked there was 17V or so at the battery. I guess the damn thing has been flicking between working (every feckin' time I tested it) and not working every time I wasn't testing it. I guess I am going to have to borrow the reg/rec off my Daytona in order to get it down for MOT. My pet MOT guy will take the huff if I cancel him again.
Have you told anyone selling lucky heather to piss off recently?
;)
17v at the batt points to the reg rec. Pita but it's kinda diagnosed the problem out of the 'maybe' area.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Well I am just in from nicking the reg/rec off my Daytona and plumbing it in to my Sprint. Haven't tested it yet as it is a little too late at night to make noise. Bastard is that I was thinking to myself that I could just unplug it from the Daytona and plug it into the Sprint. I forgot that it required a new connector to be crimped and soldered onto the alternator wires on the Daytona so I had not choice but to chop the connector off the Reg/Rec and then solder the connector off the Sprints Reg/Rec on so I can't just rip it back out and plug it into the Daytona again so the Daytona is off the road until another Reg/Rec comes to me from Sprintengineering (ordered tonight). I wish the Reg/Rec had actually shown itself to be wonky before I swapped the loom and everything else over. At least I suppose I know now that the only parts on the bike that can go wonky now are the sensors as everything else has been swapped out! I spent over half an hour trying to wrestle the feckin' reg/rec into position down inside the right hand side of the frame before I had a brainwave, snipped the heads off two suitable bolts and screwed them into the frame as studs, hooked the reg/rec onto them and then a couple of nuts went on easily. I am thinking that playing about with the lights to check them for the MOT is what seems to have tipped the reg/rec over the edge. I really, really, really, really hate electrics!!!!!!!

What I don't get is that all along until tonight I was getting a dead stable voltage of about 13.8V at the battery even when the bike was throwing up all those nasty 'Voltage too high' codes. When I was checking it tonight I was getting 17V and thereabouts but, if I switched the lights on, the voltage then dropped down to about 14V or so but turning the lights off again, the voltage shot way back up.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Well I am just in from nicking the reg/rec off my Daytona and plumbing it in to my Sprint. Haven't tested it yet as it is a little too late at night to make noise. Bastard is that I was thinking to myself that I could just unplug it from the Daytona and plug it into the Sprint. I forgot that it required a new connector to be crimped and soldered onto the alternator wires on the Daytona so I had not choice but to chop the connector off the Reg/Rec and then solder the connector off the Sprints Reg/Rec on so I can't just rip it back out and plug it into the Daytona again so the Daytona is off the road until another Reg/Rec comes to me from Sprintengineering (ordered tonight). I wish the Reg/Rec had actually shown itself to be wonky before I swapped the loom and everything else over. At least I suppose I know now that the only parts on the bike that can go wonky now are the sensors as everything else has been swapped out! I spent over half an hour trying to wrestle the feckin' reg/rec into position down inside the right hand side of the frame before I had a brainwave, snipped the heads off two suitable bolts and screwed them into the frame as studs, hooked the reg/rec onto them and then a couple of nuts went on easily. I am thinking that playing about with the lights to check them for the MOT is what seems to have tipped the reg/rec over the edge. I really, really, really, really hate electrics!!!!!!!

What I don't get is that all along until tonight I was getting a dead stable voltage of about 13.8V at the battery even when the bike was throwing up all those nasty 'Voltage too high' codes. When I was checking it tonight I was getting 17V and thereabouts but, if I switched the lights on, the voltage then dropped down to about 14V or so but turning the lights off again, the voltage shot way back up.
Wow...You got a lot going on there..However I take my hat off to you for persistence and dedication..
In the end electrics done me and my sprint and killed the relationship..I just couldn't afford to keep replacing stuff...🥺🦆

smib

Legendary Knight
Spot on Strawberry,A new Meteor... Time will tell if I have made the right decision,It is a concern as it is very easy on the power output (20bhp) but I had a short test ride a few weeks back and loved it, As I was passing the dealers I called in again and he let me take it out for a proper run in the countryside / twisties...Still a lovely bike ,So as he came up with a fair trade in price (I think the mechanic is actually buying it) I said yes please, 3 years warranty and 3 years breakdown cover sort of clinched it for me.
View attachment 10082
Well done HT buying a RE.
Dont let the low BHP concern you! My Himalayan is only 24 "summit" BHP.
TBH its more than enough for my use of exploring the b (and c?) roads within 50 miles of my home.
Been great for loading up with fishing gear (& beer)and hitting some of the small coves as well!

T

The Departed

OK I'll bite, Errmmm...... How did you manage to bend it?

I had a panic brake on a right to left and saw a nice grassy bit directly in front, literally under 5 mph and dumped her (no name), very soft landing. The thing was it was one of the easiest bends of the day, having covered some 200+ miles from Rochdale to Devils, to Windermere and was 20 mins from home. I was fatigued, soaking with sweat, gagging for a beer, no tinted visor and just had one of those novice mistakes.

Other than a bit of grass in the fairings and the bent gear lever, you can't tell at all. I was really annoyed.

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-08 at 18.02.31.jpeg

I've had a few sets of the cheap Chinese levers over the years and they've been fine. Even beautiful exotic Italian levers will bend or break if the bike is dropped. But the cheapo copies I've had have never failed in "normal" service.

I had some on my previous bikes, never an issue, and as you say, anything at speed with bend. I can't find any for my RS (yet). And the reason i need them is I just can't reach with my index and brake with full intensity.

Last edited by a moderator:

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
I had a panic brake on a right to left and saw a nice grassy bit directly in front, literally under 5 mph and dumped her (no name), very soft landing. The thing was it was one of the easiest bends of the day, having covered some 200+ miles from Rochdale to Devils, to Windermere and was 20 mins from home. I was fatigued, soaking with sweat, gagging for a beer, no tinted visor and just had one of those novice mistakes.

Other than a bit of grass in the fairings and the bent gear lever, you can't tell at all. I was really annoyed.

View attachment 10139

I had some on my previous bikes, never an issue, and as you say, anything at speed with bend. I can't find any for my RS (yet). And the reason i need them is I just can't reach with my index and brake with full intensity.
Classic 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Hey we've all been there and probably will be again 🤣🤣🤣😉👍🦆