What have you done to your bike today....

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Just out of curiosity.....

What are your views on full electric powered cars we are all being told (by the dictatorship), that we are having to embrace by 2030?
The fundamental problems remain. Liquid and gaseous fuels pack large quantities of available energy into small, lightish and readily transferred physical form. Batteries are heavy, slow to charge and, currently, not exchangeable. Refuelling and range inhibit out of town and distance use.

Personally I think the market won’t take off (like self driving cars (who wants one?)) until batteries are standardised like cassettes and mechanically exchanged on the forecourt for a fee that covers the charge and battery life cycle.

I don’t yet want a milk float or mobility scooter.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Just out of curiosity.....

What are your views on full electric powered cars we are all being told (by the dictatorship), that we are having to embrace by 2030?
I hate the idea of electric cars...
I don't believe this country never mind the rest of the world is anywhere near ready for a change over to electric cars and I don't think they will be ready by 2030 either unless the powers that be invest massively in effort and money to make it work...
Too many negatives to convince me that they are a good thing...

Glyn

Legendary Knight
Electric cars are good but not suitable quite yet, petrol hybrid is the only sensible option at present.
Or maybe a classic V8.
All will be killed off by Hydrogen fuel cells at some point

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
I had a long and frank conversation a year or two ago with a high ranking research and development chemist in the petrochemicals industry and he said that the whole 'electric revolution' was nothing but a great big con and that the oil industry was not only well aware of it but also in on it. He claimed that there is no shortage of oil for decades to come and that there are ways the pollution issues could be dealt with reasonably easily but would greatly reduce profit and there is simply far more money to be made in being 'eco friendly' until, of course, the bubble bursts. By 2030, the time of the supposed complete cessation of petrol and diesel car manufacture, there will already be many millions of tonnes of non-recyclable lithium batteries from electric cars, battery life is estimated at between seven and ten years if I recall correctly, that can't be stored because they are a fire and explosion risk, can't be recycled because we don't have any method of recycling them and can only be sent to landfill. Of course the Chinese can make lithium batteries pretty cheaply as they use virtually slave and child labour to mine the Lithium in Africa and then Political and other prisoners in their own country to put the batteries together. What's the betting that, by around 2035, they would then say "Electric was a mistake and we are now running a scrappage scheme where everyone can get so much money off their new Hydrogen, or more likely 'clean burning' petrol car. Hydrogen of course while the ideal fuel has two major problems. It takes effort and energy to split water and free the hydrogen and it probably won't have a good profit margin for the energy companies.

Of course this is all academic as the end of the world is next year so get that gas guzzler on the road and burn some fossils!

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
H
I had a long and frank conversation a year or two ago with a high ranking research and development chemist in the petrochemicals industry and he said that the whole 'electric revolution' was nothing but a great big con and that the oil industry was not only well aware of it but also in on it. He claimed that there is no shortage of oil for decades to come and that there are ways the pollution issues could be dealt with reasonably easily but would greatly reduce profit and there is simply far more money to be made in being 'eco friendly' until, of course, the bubble bursts. By 2030, the time of the supposed complete cessation of petrol and diesel car manufacture, there will already be many millions of tonnes of non-recyclable lithium batteries from electric cars, battery life is estimated at between seven and ten years if I recall correctly, that can't be stored because they are a fire and explosion risk, can't be recycled because we don't have any method of recycling them and can only be sent to landfill. Of course the Chinese can make lithium batteries pretty cheaply as they use virtually slave and child labour to mine the Lithium in Africa and then Political and other prisoners in their own country to put the batteries together. What's the betting that, by around 2035, they would then say "Electric was a mistake and we are now running a scrappage scheme where everyone can get so much money off their new Hydrogen, or more likely 'clean burning' petrol car. Hydrogen of course while the ideal fuel has two major problems. It takes effort and energy to split water and free the hydrogen and it probably won't have a good profit margin for the energy companies.

Of course this is all academic as the end of the world is next year so get that gas guzzler on the road and burn some fossils!
Had a similar conversation with a pal who used to be near the top of Exxon til stress got the better of him.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Right then...New relay as not done the trick...I believe that the relay behind the battery is the fuel relay but just in case i tried it on any four bladed relay I could find...

NO JOY....

Can I test the fuel pump without removing the pump out the tank??20210210_104714.jpg20210210_105232.jpg

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
All lecky connections need to be clean, you should be able to hear the pump prime when switched on, also if you have the outlet pipe you could unclip and test for fuel [be careful doing this] have a look at this Duck hope it helps: