What have you done to your bike today....

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Had a look on the dealers site where I'm getting the Meteor from and he now has my Bonnie up for sale on autotrader , Got the shock of my life when I looked at it.....................It's recorded as previously a Cat D write off. How the fuck did I not know about this,I would have thought it would be on the Log Book... or am I missing something.Owned her since 2013 and never had an inkling.
In recent years it's started to appear on the logbook. But as you owned the bike for many years. You wouldn't necessarily have know about it HT.

This website is awesome. It tells you loads for free & for just £1.99 it'll tell you about the write off status of a vehicle.

half ton

Legendary Knight
In recent years it's started to appear on the logbook. But as you owned the bike for many years. You wouldn't necessarily have know about it HT.

This website is awesome. It tells you loads for free & for just £1.99 it'll tell you about the write off status of a vehicle.

Worth knowing Jez cheers, I don't know how the dealer will react when I collect the bike next week , He might think I was trying to pull a fast one,The check was done today, I suppose he has had it for a few weeks so he could have found out earlier if he wanted to .....still feel bad though:(

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Is he making a loss on what he gave you on the Bonnie @half ton ? If not then you ain't got nothing to feel sorry about and, if he failed to do a check he should have done and has been bitten by it then, again, not your fault.

Well it's been a long time @Sarky B’stard and @DD67 but in my youf I quite enjoyed rattling around in the snow on bikes. I once went from Saltcoats in Ayrshire to Greenock (something like 45miles) in a snowstorm and only fell off when I turned into the car park in Greenock because the 'brains' in charge thought scraping the car park snow up with a JCB was a good idea.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Worth knowing Jez cheers, I don't know how the dealer will react when I collect the bike next week , He might think I was trying to pull a fast one,The check was done today, I suppose he has had it for a few weeks so he could have found out earlier if he wanted to .....still feel bad though:(
I've never heard of a dealer making an offer for any vehicle without doing an HPI/Write off status check first.

Under the old system a Cat C meant more serious damage than a Cat D. The modern equivalents are Cat N (not too serious) & Cat S (usually means structural damage)
On a car, Cat S usually means it isn't just panel damage. The impact has reach the chassis as well.

There are dozens of other variables. But the description above is the basics of how the Cat system works HT.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Is he making a loss on what he gave you on the Bonnie @half ton ? If not then you ain't got nothing to feel sorry about and, if he failed to do a check he should have done and has been bitten by it then, again, not your fault.

Well it's been a long time @Sarky B’stard and @DD67 but in my youf I quite enjoyed rattling around in the snow on bikes. I once went from Saltcoats in Ayrshire to Greenock (something like 45miles) in a snowstorm and only fell off when I turned into the car park in Greenock because the 'brains' in charge thought scraping the car park snow up with a JCB was a good idea.
Me too but on trials or trail bikes not a lardy retro!

I pursued my ardour aged 23 on a 50 miles round trip with much spent in the verge under a foot of snow where the old trials universals got far more grip than packed snow with fresh on top. I came seriously undone outside a hairdressers where a burst pipe had left sheet under fresh snow - a major Tom & Jerry moment! Nothing dented except pride and it was on the way home so I was a bit tired 🤐

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
The escapade I referred to was carried out on a Suzuki GSX400EZ. A damn rare wee bike in a sort of Katana vein. Strangely I didn't feel in the least unstable rattling along in the snow on it despite having ordinary road tyres on. I spent a lot of time slipping and sliding my way up and down the roads to Greenock through ice, snow, hail and torrential rain in the early nineties. I wouldn't try on my Sprint RS because of the power it lays down and it's width but I wouldn't be averse to giving it a shot on the narrow and fairly low powered Bonnie.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
The escapade I referred to was carried out on a Suzuki GSX400EZ. A damn rare wee bike in a sort of Katana vein. Strangely I didn't feel in the least unstable rattling along in the snow on it despite having ordinary road tyres on. I spent a lot of time slipping and sliding my way up and down the roads to Greenock through ice, snow, hail and torrential rain in the early nineties. I wouldn't try on my Sprint RS because of the power it lays down and it's width but I wouldn't be averse to giving it a shot on the narrow and fairly low powered Bonnie.
The problem is the lard; the bike’s naturally. 🙄

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Well, belay what I said yesterday about mi road tax being paid monthly. Just put mi bike in that link DD put on above, to check to see if mi bike came up as a write off after havin it nicked t'other year, and it said that it hasn't bin taxed since May 2021. Oops!! :oops:😂
What did it say re an insurance claim on the Speed Triple? I assume it said it was stolen/recovered.
It still worked out incredibly well for you Foxy! 😉

On another subject re info from that HPI/write off check site.
Sometimes it'll list the last known asking price for the vehicle you're checking. I've always thought that was fairly pointless. Unless the seller is advertising it very shortly after purchasing it.
But since the prices of used vehicles have started to rise dramatically. That section of the site has been a real eye opener.
My Father-in-law recently changed his car so I checked it out for him. It turned out that he paid just £14 less than the previous owner payed for it 2.5yrs ago!!! 😳
I didn't share that info with him but I did check what the same make/model/year etc are selling for. He paid the going rate for it.
Which goes to prove that the rise in value of used vehicles (due to a computer chip shortage for new vehicles) is a reality. Not a story made up by the MSM.

20211105_133204.jpg

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Managed my usual Fri long way home ride after getting away a bit early. 60 miles in a nice figure of eight around the local countryside.

Beautiful, but getting nippier - you can tell the clocks went back.

Reminded me to take 5 mins to reset the clock on GS, which I'll do while checking a couple of things shortly.

Hope to get out on Sunday too, but Sat is for 'family stuff'.

DS

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
I don't need to pay £1.99 to find out what I already know...............
It "might" have slipped through the net?
That hardly ever happens if the insurance company sells the vehicle on to a.n.other buyer.
But it's been known to happen more frequently when the insured person buys the vehicle back from them.
Surely it's worth £1.99 to find out?
If it isn't recorded. It would mean your bike would be worth approx 30%-50% more 🙂

Old Nick

Legendary Knight
Over the weekend when allowed out to play, fitted Oxford heated grips to the Thruxton:)

not keen on the control box on the bars, may see if I can put that somewhere else:unsure:

But they certainly work(y) 70% good and warm, 100% too hot for normal cold days:p

The fly screen is very useful for hiding loads of wiring sins:p

C679B847-E596-4DBA-A9DB-3FFF756095F0.jpeg

ACE5D40E-B319-413E-952D-0F713E1F1C5F.jpeg