What have you done to your bike today....

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
After saying I'd do it over winter, I finally got around to swapping the tank on the Guzzi. Or rather I got as far a assembling the dozen or so parts that make up the fuel filler on the new tank, drained and removed the old tank, and removed the fuel pump. However the fuel filter is one of the half plastic ones and is starting to swell, and after reading that they can swell so much they fail, I've ordered an all metal filter which I've got to wait a couple of days for 😐

IMG_20220327_125703953.jpg
IMG_20220327_125646138.jpg

chas

Legendary Knight
Put yer handbag down Jez 'e ain't wurf it!
But Jez *loves* swinging his handbag about if you press the right buttons
LesDawsonDrag_306x325.jpg

He's our very own 'wind up toy' :D

Last edited:

Tallpaul

Legendary Knight
I've had a good ride out on the bike and had no problems at all apart from a couple of oh shit moments with a back end wobble and coming up the lane was a bit iffy at one point..
I stopped off at sainsbury's for a few bottles of real ale and one frigging leaked in the top box..I'm not buying titanic plum porter again 🦆
Titanic Plum Porter sounded so good, I once ordered a pint...........................once...................

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Following on from the mot, the rear brake light switch wasn't putting the light on full. So I have ordered a new one anyway, but bled the rear brake this afternoon. Seems to have sorted it, unless you pump up the pedal until it locks the back wheel solid, then it plays hard to get. Leave it a moment and it's fine... I'm thinking it's still the switch sticking, so a new one should sort that, but until it comes it's working better than it did.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Just back from a very pleasant trip to SportsBikeShop near Boston. To collect a pair of these for my mates bike. They look to be superb quality for only £280 🙂...
20220327_155132.jpg
I told him to check the dimensions of the outer box they were packed in. But he didn't bother & it wouldn't fit in the minuscule boot of Mrs DD's Merc.
Consequently we had to remove the panniers from the cardboard box. Rip the box into strips & use it as makeshift packing material.
I forgot to take a photo. But trust me, newborn babies have been brought home from the hospital with less care & padding 🧐

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
I've had a good ride out on the bike and had no problems at all apart from a couple of oh shit moments with a back end wobble and coming up the lane was a bit iffy at one point..
You definitely need to give the bike a thorough look over mate.
I can't help thinking those handling issues have come about since you crashed/dropped the bike.
You've racked up loads of miles with no complaints. Solo & two up. All of a sudden it's giving you multiple butt clenching moments.

Start by loosening the fork clamp bolts & see if the forks ping into a different position. If not, sit on the bike with said bolts slackened off but not loose. Then gently bounce the forks up & down. Before tightening up the bolts. Mark the original position of the forks with masking tape.
Also, if you haven't replaced the tyres, they are the originals. After the miles you've clocked up. How much tread do they have? And more importantly, what's the profile like? If one or both are even slightly squared off or they are wearing irregularly. That can give the feeling of them having multiple steps as you lean over. Kinda like a less exaggerated 50p coin shape & horizontally across the tyre.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Following on from the mot, the rear brake light switch wasn't putting the light on full. So I have ordered a new one anyway, but bled the rear brake this afternoon. Seems to have sorted it, unless you pump up the pedal until it locks the back wheel solid, then it plays hard to get. Leave it a moment and it's fine... I'm thinking it's still the switch sticking, so a new one should sort that, but until it comes it's working better than it did.
I just purchased one of them brake bleed kits..gonna use it on the Duckmobile but possibly not the bike...never used one before...Anyone know if they are any good 🦆

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Just back from a very pleasant trip to SportsBikeShop near Boston. To collect a pair of these for my mates bike. They look to be superb quality for only £280 🙂...
View attachment 15896
I told him to check the dimensions of the outer box they were packed in. But he didn't bother & it wouldn't fit in the minuscule boot of Mrs DD's Merc.
Consequently we had to remove the panniers from the cardboard box. Rip the box into strips & use it as makeshift packing material.
I forgot to take a photo. But trust me, newborn babies have been brought home from the hospital with less care & padding 🧐
How much and would they go straight on my bike how its set up already...🤔🦆

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
You definitely need to give the bike a thorough look over mate.
I can't help thinking those handling issues have come about since you crashed/dropped the bike.
You've racked up loads of miles with no complaints. Solo & two up. All of a sudden it's giving you multiple butt clenching moments.

Start by loosening the fork clamp bolts & see if the forks ping into a different position. If not, sit on the bike with said bolts slackened off but not loose. Then gently bounce the forks up & down. Before tightening up the bolts. Mark the original position of the forks with masking tape.
Also, if you haven't replaced the tyres, they are the originals. After the miles you've clocked up. How much tread do they have? And more importantly, what's the profile like? If one or both are even slightly squared off or they are wearing irregularly. That can give the feeling of them have multiple steps as you lean over. Kinda like a less exaggerated 50p coin shape & horizontally across the tyre.
Can't afford new tyres just yet and in a quandary as to what I should put on...
As for the forks..I did exactly what your saying on my old triumph and it sorted it just like that 🦆

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
How much and would they go straight on my bike how its set up already...🤔🦆
£280
But no, you'd need a fitting kit as well Duck.
I mentioned to my mate about you wanting the genuine Kawasaki panniers due the lack of ugly scaffolding needed to fit them.
He reckons that he regularly see's them secondhand for £350. He's said that he'll let me know when he next spots a pair.

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
I just purchased one of them brake bleed kits..gonna use it on the Duckmobile but possibly not the bike...never used one before...Anyone know if they are any good 🦆
Which one? I have a one way valve that I use on the bike, as the piping is smaller for the 8mm bleed nipples.

I have a vacuum bleed kit too, trouble with those is they can actually suck air round the threads of the nipple, still end up with the press the pedal and tighten the bleed while the pedal is down.

I Also have an eezi-bleed which is okay on the LR, as long as you don't put too much pressure behind it. And fer gawds sake make sure it's sealed on the master reservoir, cos damn it makes a fechin mess if it isn't! Paint stripper! 😱

MICK60

Legendary Knight
Not worth a shit mate. Get yourself an old fashioned oil can, with a trigger, and a bit of hose, then back bleed. I bought a vacuum kit, and it never worked. Just take the top off the reservoir, and hold a rag over it, so you don't get fluid all over your paintwork. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=trigger+oil+can&_sacat=0&_sop=15