What have you done to your bike today....

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Glorious few hours out on the Daytona.

Usual pattern of down to Melton, on to Buttercups and cuppa and cake :)

A few chances to open her up - gotta hear that triple scream :)

I always want a 'sensible' bike like the GS in the garage, but I also want a bit of a loon too. I know that by contemporary standards, she's a bit of a barge, but the acceleration is quite enough for my aging reactions!

DS
Sounds like a good ride out @Doc Strange you enjoy those bikes for as long as you can untill your body says enough, then you can downsize like the rest of us older farts that have had too and you combine fuel stops with a pee stop and a wipe down with Voltarol when you get back :LOL:

Old Nick

Legendary Knight
Sounds like a good ride out @Doc Strange you enjoy those bikes for as long as you can untill your body says enough, then you can downsize like the rest of us older farts that have had too and you combine fuel stops with a pee stop and a wipe down with Voltarol when you get back :LOL:
Make sure you use the Voltarol AFTER the pee break not before Don, might make your eyes water otherwise:D:oops:

chas

Legendary Knight
Glorious few hours out on the Daytona.

Usual pattern of down to Melton, on to Buttercups and cuppa and cake :)

A few chances to open her up - gotta hear that triple scream :)

I always want a 'sensible' bike like the GS in the garage, but I also want a bit of a loon too. I know that by contemporary standards, she's a bit of a barge, but the acceleration is quite enough for my aging reactions!

DS
I find the slightly 'lumpen' nature of the chassis is well redeemed by the motor. (Ok, mine's a Speed Triple but...)

Was out today on mine just work and back (although the ride back did have detours along favoured roads) and I love the torque available in the 4.5k - 7k rev range. Waiting for 'the gap' with the motor bubbling at the 4.5-5k level means a crack of the wrist puts you past the obstacle in short shrift. Sounds a peach too.

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Rode it.... About 80 miles or so. Found my rear brake caliper is up to its old tricks again, so will strip it out and fit new sliders, stainless this time.

Anyhoo, gratuitous pics....

IMG_20220420_103717_copy_768x1024.jpg

Both taken near Lothmore, above looking North, below looking towards Brora, not far from the old Loth chain home radar station

IMG_20220420_103704_copy_1024x768.jpg

That sandy beach in the distance is where the remains of the radar station is.

Just placed an order for new slider pins, rubber boots for them, and a set of new pads. Didn't take long for the ones on there to wear....

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Photos of what's left at Loth chain home station.... Courtesy of 28 days later...

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Rode it.... About 80 miles or so. Found my rear brake caliper is up to its old tricks again, so will strip it out and fit new sliders, stainless this time.

View attachment 16435

Both taken near Lothmore, above looking North, below looking towards Brora, not far from the old Loth chain home radar station

View attachment 16436

Just placed an order for new slider pins, rubber boots for them, and a set of new pads. Didn't take long for the ones on there to wear....
Nice photos..
Did you say the bikes going free to a good home 😉🦆

Don the Don

Legendary Knight

View attachment 16435

View attachment 16436

Nice pic's @Big Sandy , bikes looking good hope you get the brake sorted mate

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
I hope that's a lay by you're parked in! If not, your roads are worse than ours!!
Thankfully, yes 😄 That's just off the A9. There are some interesting potholes on the A9 too...

There are roadworks on our way north from home... Got to go that way tomorrow. 2hr delay they reckon according to the sign at the Helmsdale end. That's the trouble, it's all single track, so if they dig it up, you're screwed.

@BAD LUCK DUCK cracking photo with the sun behind the bike! Is the Cat and Fiddle open now? I thought it had been shut down? Years since I've been in there (like 30+).

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Thankfully, yes 😄 That's just off the A9. There are some interesting potholes on the A9 too...

There are roadworks on our way north from home... Got to go that way tomorrow. 2hr delay they reckon according to the sign at the Helmsdale end. That's the trouble, it's all single track, so if they dig it up, you're screwed.

@BAD LUCK DUCK cracking photo with the sun behind the bike! Is the Cat and Fiddle open now? I thought it had been shut down? Years since I've been in there (like 30+).
It's open @Big Sandy
Got them monitor your speed cameras all over it now..Which ain't a bad thing really as so many bikers and car drivers aswell wipe out on it...🦆

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Had a free morning, so have stripped the rear caliper off. As predicted, the slides were pretty solid, and very difficult to move. Washed everything off with brake cleaner, then dried with compressed air.

Stripped it apart, cleaned the pistons, and fitted new seals (bought double last time in case I fooked it up first time round) they go out with a bit of compressed air, and back in easily with a bit of a push on the pad. So, that's okay.

The pins on the slides are one into a rubber boot through the body, and one into a tube in the body with a rubber boot. The one through the body was solid. An arse to get apart in fact.

Slider pins were cruddy, but not too corroded, but have ordered stainless to replace with. The boots were fooked though... Ordered new of them too. Will pack with red grease when reassembling.

Pads were at about half life on one side... Could reuse, but hey, I got new ones coming. (I also bought the cat a goldfish....)

So, now waiting for parts! The annoying thing is I could have done this last time round, but I would probably done it as part of my next brake service anyway. Just brought it forward a bit. Wish I'd bought the parts in advance, but as ever funds is tight. Its costing about £47 to do this now, but it's just something brought forward, so I don't feel quite as miffed about it! Also... £47 is a damned sight cheaper than a new caliper, assuming I could find one.

I may get parts ready for the fronts sooner than anticipated when funds allow, however. I like to have parts ready before I start.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Had a free morning, so have stripped the rear caliper off. As predicted, the slides were pretty solid, and very difficult to move. Washed everything off with brake cleaner, then dried with compressed air.

Stripped it apart, cleaned the pistons, and fitted new seals (bought double last time in case I fooked it up first time round) they go out with a bit of compressed air, and back in easily with a bit of a push on the pad. So, that's okay.

The pins on the slides are one into a rubber boot through the body, and one into a tube in the body with a rubber boot. The one through the body was solid. An arse to get apart in fact.

Slider pins were cruddy, but not too corroded, but have ordered stainless to replace with. The boots were fooked though... Ordered new of them too. Will pack with red grease when reassembling.

Pads were at about half life on one side... Could reuse, but hey, I got new ones coming. (I also bought the cat a goldfish....)

So, now waiting for parts! The annoying thing is I could have done this last time round, but I would probably done it as part of my next brake service anyway. Just brought it forward a bit. Wish I'd bought the parts in advance, but as ever funds is tight. Its costing about £47 to do this now, but it's just something brought forward, so I don't feel quite as miffed about it! Also... £47 is a damned sight cheaper than a new caliper, assuming I could find one.

I may get parts ready for the fronts sooner than anticipated when funds allow, however. I like to have parts ready before I start.
I can totally empathise mate 🦆

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Well I had a long ride back to my place this afternoon and it was spectacular...Back over the cat and fiddle to Buxton to see about new tyres for the versys..ordered for next Friday..
Really decent mechanic..very old school and knows his stuff and is good at it...He was happy I'd got rid of my Triumph but added my tyres are fucked were the technical term..Explains a lot recently..Then off Hartington then back to where I live..Absolutely brilliant ride...loved it...
Cheers @DD67 for advice on tyres 👍👍👍🦆

chas

Legendary Knight
I had a good run back from work today, picked up a gaggle of bikes leaving the bus depot on the same estate as me (Duck appearing above reminded me) and couldn't break the habit of getting to the front of their pack and fucking off into the distance :D

Growing old is unavoidable but growing up is a choice :D