What have you done to your bike today....

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
My parts from Germany arrived today, so I've just fitted them, double checked I've tightened them ;), fitted a new number plate and reflector, and re-tested the rear lights and indicators. So the Guzzi is good to go again 😁 and hopefully I'll get out for a ride before the weekend.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
My father didn't join the Paras until after the war, but he served with some of the guys who had been at Arnhem.

Somerby has been found on the map and will be visited :)

Thanks for finding that @Scrappy !

DS

They have a parade every year apparently, postponed during Covid I think, but back on this year. I intend to ride over and watch this year, weather permitting.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Serviced the TS's front brakes as they seemed noisy over the last week. I was thinking about the floods I'd been through a couple of months ago.

The pad slots were full of fine river sand and corrosion was setting in. Nothing a junior hacksaw blade, acetone and compressed air couldn't clean followed by brass wire clean up and brake grease lovingly applied 🫣

Now silent and normal grippy service resumed.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Not done anything to my bikes today though I did go out for a spin on Britt the Bonnie to test out my new boots. Wee bit cold and cloudy but dry and the roads were pretty much deserted meaning I turned in sixty miles or so of riding without having to bother with other road users.

I will need to look at the Daytona though as she is not starting very easily and is needing taken down for MOT soon as it expired on the 21st. I have already changed the plugs and put different coil packs on from my scrapped Sprint that I know are good. As the battery seems to have plenty of juice and the engine is turning over without any trouble I am left with either the IACV, fuel pump or injectors as the main suspects. Hmm...... I have spare injectors and fuel pump so I will swap them over first to see if that cures the problem.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
The previous owner had changed all the IACV hoses so I am guessing they won't be the problem but I'll check them anyway although when I got both my Sprints the IACV hoses were jiggered and the bikes had no problem with starting, just popped and farted a lot. I'm getting the feeling that it's more to do with not enough fuel or not enough air is getting through to the cylinders at the first attempt to start so either the IACV valve isn't opening (although I'm pretty sure that should light the engine management light), Hmm, when I think about it, I think my Yellow sprint wouldn't run right once I sorted the IACV hoses until I then replaced the stepper motor as, although it appeared to be working, I don't think it was opening far enough.

Last edited:

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
They have a parade every year apparently, postponed during Covid I think, but back on this year. I intend to ride over and watch this year, weather permitting.

Added the date to our calendar - will try to get over too if available. I know my old man would approve :)

Cheers!

DS

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
First evening ride of the year :)

A nice 90 mins being shown some new routes in Derbyshire by my neighbour.

Which was just right for my aging frame on the Daytona

Then dropped the bikes off back home and popped to our local for a nice couple of pints - well good!

If the evenings are getting longer, you've gotta take advantage :)

DS

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Was out myself tonight - About a hundred miles of just blatting along lovely wide, smooth and twisty roads in the evening sun without more than a car or two in sight. Argyll on a quiet sunny weekday evening is a sheer delight and on a 790 Bonnie it's particularly good. For some reason I find myself crouching into the Bonnie, knees gripping the tank and throwing her around in ways that feel just right and I don't get the same feeling of 'racing' on a modern superbike at all. I think she really needs 'clubman' bars or clip-ons. It may take forever to hit a hundred mph with my weighty frame onboard but she is sheer fun to ride.

EveningStCaths.jpg
Looking down from Arrochar.jpg
On an evening like this I count myself very fortunate to live here with my Bonnie. Not many places in the world where it's so peaceful, the roads are good and quiet and the scenery is incredible. Even the wildlife was out tonight with a small gang of young stags on the shore just off to the right in the second picture. First picture is by Loch Fyne, Second Picture is at the top of Loch Long.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
The Bonnie's sure are @Don the Don I found myself holding a fairly constant 70mph with regular forays up to around ninety and not even touching the brakes for all but the tightest curves She just rolls through the bends without a twitch or any feeling of instability.

I did almost come a cropper at one point though. The concrete pier in the first pic has a broad band of seaweed at the inshore end and, as I was driving back off it to the road the back end went all squirrely. I was up out of the saddle and feet off the pegs but cracked the throttle open and she sorted herself out. That's another thing I've found about the Bonnie's - when you hit gravel, lock the back wheel or even hit slimy seaweed they are really very controllable where bikes I've had in the past, even traillie's, would spit you off.