What have you done to your bike today....

Bad Billy

Piemantino Rossi
The race bike went to AP Workshops over the winter for it's annual tune up and valve check etc, also asked Griff to try and find the source of the oil leak as I keep finding small amounts of oil in the belly pan, although it has never made it to the back tyre, not something I want to risk.
Griff went through it & did his stuff, he told me the small leak had been coming form the sump plug, fitted a new washer when the oil & filter was done & jobs a good un, I was skeptical that it was this to be honest.
Took it to Castle Combe for a track day, conditions were damp at times wet & sketchy, because of this and as it was first time out this year probably didn't give it a proper work out, checked the belly pan & no sign of any oil residue, so maybe Griff was right?

Roll on a couple of weeks, test day at Brands, conditions were warm & dry, bike is on slicks and we're having a hoot hooning round Brands Indy circuit.
At the lunch interval after doing 3 x am sessions I was checking the bike over for loose nuts/bolts and checking fluid levels etc, I notice oil in the belly pan ... Bollox!
It was not a lot and it isn't getting out far enough back to be a risk to the rear tyre so I clean it out & carry on for the afternoon, cleaned it out again & searched to see if I could source the leak, the trouble is a little oil spreads quickly & there was no easy way of telling, cleaned everything up as best as possible with brake cleaner & left it running for a while. Nothing appeared, can only assume the leak is only materializing under extreme load, nothing more I can do but continue to monitor. The bike lost very little oil over the 2 race days, went from 3/4 up the sight tube to just under half, so I kept racing it & thought I would find the source easier with it on the bench, or perhaps Griff might be better placed to find it before I clean everything up again.
So I gave him a call on the Monday to ask him what he could do, his reaction was that he didn't have any workshop time to even look at it until July! TBH I have always recommended AP Workshops to others but was more than a little disappointed with this response after having asked him to locate the leak in the first place and having spent over a £1000 on having the bike worked on by them! Obviously it would seem that the routine stuff & replacing service items are what they are interested in?

So I gave the bike to a local lad I have used before for repairs, he is an engineer, motorcycle mechanic though not an Aprilia one, but likes a challenge!
I explained what happens and he said he would take as much of the bike apart as he could get at to try and identify where the oil was coming from, he wanted the bike delivered exactly as it had finished the last race, expressly told not to clean it.
Went and picked the bike up last night, he said there were several areas that it could have been coming from, but difficult to be sure as a little oil gets everywhere, the starter motor O ring was the most likely, then the oil pressure switch seal, some of the oil lines were old & brittle & the rear cylinder rocker cover gasket was not in great nick, he replaced the lot 'just in case'. He also modified the oil tank as it was rubbing on an engine casing bolt slightly, this was a problem waiting to happen!
So all in all I am hoping he has covered all the bases and we have zero oil in the belly pan at Donny, he charged me £215 for this (including putting 2 new wet tyres on rims), I think AP Workshops might have lost a customer!

Sorry it went on a bit and well done if you made it this far! o_O

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
The race bike went to AP Workshops over the winter for it's annual tune up and valve check etc, also asked Griff to try and find the source of the oil leak as I keep finding small amounts of oil in the belly pan, although it has never made it to the back tyre, not something I want to risk.
Griff went through it & did his stuff, he told me the small leak had been coming form the sump plug, fitted a new washer when the oil & filter was done & jobs a good un, I was skeptical that it was this to be honest.
Took it to Castle Combe for a track day, conditions were damp at times wet & sketchy, because of this and as it was first time out this year probably didn't give it a proper work out, checked the belly pan & no sign of any oil residue, so maybe Griff was right?

Roll on a couple of weeks, test day at Brands, conditions were warm & dry, bike is on slicks and we're having a hoot hooning round Brands Indy circuit.
At the lunch interval after doing 3 x am sessions I was checking the bike over for loose nuts/bolts and checking fluid levels etc, I notice oil in the belly pan ... Bollox!
It was not a lot and it isn't getting out far enough back to be a risk to the rear tyre so I clean it out & carry on for the afternoon, cleaned it out again & searched to see if I could source the leak, the trouble is a little oil spreads quickly & there was no easy way of telling, cleaned everything up as best as possible with brake cleaner & left it running for a while. Nothing appeared, can only assume the leak is only materializing under extreme load, nothing more I can do but continue to monitor. The bike lost very little oil over the 2 race days, went from 3/4 up the sight tube to just under half, so I kept racing it & thought I would find the source easier with it on the bench, or perhaps Griff might be better placed to find it before I clean everything up again.
So I gave him a call on the Monday to ask him what he could do, his reaction was that he didn't have any workshop time to even look at it until July! TBH I have always recommended AP Workshops to others but was more than a little disappointed with this response after having asked him to locate the leak in the first place and having spent over a £1000 on having the bike worked on by them! Obviously it would seem that the routine stuff & replacing service items are what they are interested in?

So I gave the bike to a local lad I have used before for repairs, he is an engineer, motorcycle mechanic though not an Aprilia one, but likes a challenge!
I explained what happens and he said he would take as much of the bike apart as he could get at to try and identify where the oil was coming from, he wanted the bike delivered exactly as it had finished the last race, expressly told not to clean it.
Went and picked the bike up last night, he said there were several areas that it could have been coming from, but difficult to be sure as a little oil gets everywhere, the starter motor O ring was the most likely, then the oil pressure switch seal, some of the oil lines were old & brittle & the rear cylinder rocker cover gasket was not in great nick, he replaced the lot 'just in case'. He also modified the oil tank as it was rubbing on an engine casing bolt slightly, this was a problem waiting to happen!
So all in all I am hoping he has covered all the bases and we have zero oil in the belly pan at Donny, he charged me £215 for this (including putting 2 new wet tyres on rims), I think AP Workshops might have lost a customer!

Sorry it went on a bit and well done if you made it this far! o_O
Hope all works okay now @Bad Billy it shows not all fingers are on the same hand as they say, it sounds like he sorted some potential problems that could have been a future headache

Bad Billy

Piemantino Rossi
Hope all works okay now @Bad Billy it shows not all fingers are on the same hand as they say, it sounds like he sorted some potential problems that could have been a future headache
It was a bit of trial and error TBH, but as he said we have eliminated the obvious, and possibly headed off future problems, if it leaks after this it should be easier to isolate the issue. He did also comment that 'bloody V twins are a nightmare to work on', I must agree, everything is bloody hard to get at!

Bad Billy

Piemantino Rossi
I'm trying to remember when an oil leak went from being a standard bit of motorcycling to being a cause of concern?

90s I reckon - probably earlier if you ran newer bikes!

Hope it's sorted @Bad Billy

Think I have a very small one from the gear select on the Daytona, but that is not top of my fettling priorities and may never be.

DS
I have indeed been racing the bike with said oil leak, sooner or later if not dealt with, some oil is gonna make it to the back tyre, I just didn't fancy that to be when I was hooning down Craner Curves at the end of next week! o_O :eek:

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
On the track was it not the massive failure of a JPS Norton that made oil a real issue on track bikes? I seem to recall that as being the point at which the powers that be in motorcycle racing demanded that all track bikes must have a belly pan capable of catching the entire contents of an engine to give other riders a chance of survival. On the road I find it funny when I read of folks panicking about a slight weeping of oil around a neutral switch etc. when I used to ride bikes that bled oil from their rocker covers (CB250RS that was designed without a rocker cover gasket and rocker cover bolt holes that shed their thread when you showed them a bolt) and sump pans that cracked around the sump plug that constant wept a little oil.

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
I have indeed been racing the bike with said oil leak, sooner or later if not dealt with, some oil is gonna make it to the back tyre, I just didn't fancy that to be when I was hooning down Craner Curves at the end of next week! o_O :eek:

Fortunately my bimbling doesn't put anything like the strain racing does on a bike.

If I was to do anything more than the odd trackday, I'd have to seriously up my spannering skills or find the dosh to pay someone to do it for me!

DS

Bad Billy

Piemantino Rossi
On the track was it not the massive failure of a JPS Norton that made oil a real issue on track bikes? I seem to recall that as being the point at which the powers that be in motorcycle racing demanded that all track bikes must have a belly pan capable of catching the entire contents of an engine to give other riders a chance of survival. On the road I find it funny when I read of folks panicking about a slight weeping of oil around a neutral switch etc. when I used to ride bikes that bled oil from their rocker covers (CB250RS that was designed without a rocker cover gasket and rocker cover bolt holes that shed their thread when you showed them a bolt) and sump pans that cracked around the sump plug that constant wept a little oil.
I can't remember what lead to it but you are correct in that the belly pan must be able hold the contents of the engines oil should the motor shit itself, however I can speak from personal experience that they don't always succeed in doing the job!

I had a gear box shaft seal go on a Sprint RS on the way back from France a fair few years back, made for an interesting ride back to the ferry as oil was getting on the left side of the rear tyre.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
On the track was it not the massive failure of a JPS Norton that made oil a real issue on track bikes?
That rotary engine that Norton used in their race bikes. Used to constantly blow out a very fine mist of oil from the exhaust.
Obviously other race teams complained about that.
Allegedly, the boss of the Norton race team replied to the complaints with...."It wouldn't be an issue if your riders were in front of my riders"... 🤣

Public Enemy

Enforcer
Staff member
Here's why I am currently potless.
Bought this, and sold the GSXF 1100. There was a bit of a difference in price!
First (600) mile service on Tuesday, then I can give it a bit more stick.
It's a Yamaha Tracer 9GT.
Planning to do the NC 500 in June, and this should be perfect for the job.
Annie will stay tucked up in the shed for high days and holidays.

IMG-20220420-WA0003.jpg20220505_111148.jpg

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Here's why I am currently potless.
Bought this, and sold the GSXF 1100. There was a bit of a difference in price!
First (600) mile service on Tuesday, then I can give it a bit more stick.
It's a Yamaha Tracer 9GT.
Planning to do the NC 500 in June, and this should be perfect for the job.
Annie will stay tucked up in the shed for high days and holidays.

View attachment 16693View attachment 16694
Nice bike @Public Enemy enjoy it mate, and if you are up north doing the NC500 let us know