What have you done to your bike today....

Bad Billy

Piemantino Rossi
Here's why I am currently potless.
Bought this, and sold the GSXF 1100. There was a bit of a difference in price!
First (600) mile service on Tuesday, then I can give it a bit more stick.
It's a Yamaha Tracer 9GT.
Planning to do the NC 500 in June, and this should be perfect for the job.
Annie will stay tucked up in the shed for high days and holidays.

View attachment 16693View attachment 16694
Potless but happy eh?

That engine is a peach mate, I think you'll enjoy exploring it's performance a bit now the first service is done, enjoy! :cool:

Public Enemy

Enforcer
Staff member
Potless but happy eh?

That engine is a peach mate, I think you'll enjoy exploring it's performance a bit now the first service is done, enjoy! :cool:
Thanks Billy. It's also the first bike I've ever owned that has a quick shifter. That combined with the triple howl is very addictive. But 50 years riding bikes with a normal gearbox means I keep forgetting the QS. But when you get it right, it's a hoot. And it auto blips on the down changes!
I'm like a kid whose just discovered the joy of a cigarette card in his bicycle spokes!

Old Nick

Legendary Knight

Lovely looking bike @Public Enemy (y)

Don’t think of it as gay pink more used tampon red :D

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
I hope someone can tell me who it was that caused the demand for oil collecting belly pans on bikes because it's really bugging me now. It was back when the JPS Norton Rotaries were going great guns and I am pretty sure it was one of them but not certain. I was watching the race on telly and the engine exploded covering the track in oil at a fast section. although I can't recall which track either, and pretty much all the following pack went flying off the track before the red flags could be put out. Pretty nasty although I don't think anyone was seriously hurt.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
I hope someone can tell me who it was that caused the demand for oil collecting belly pans on bikes because it's really bugging me now.
I can't get my head around how such a device would work effectively in all leak scenarios?
Unless the entire engine was fully enclosed. Which would obviously limit air flow.
i.e. if the leak happened at the bottom of the engine. The catchment area would only need to be sealed to a height of say 10" to allow for the oil sloshing about.
But what if the leak happened right at the top of the engine 6" or so below the tank? 🤔

Bad Billy

Piemantino Rossi
Thanks Billy. It's also the first bike I've ever owned that has a quick shifter. That combined with the triple howl is very addictive. But 50 years riding bikes with a normal gearbox means I keep forgetting the QS. But when you get it right, it's a hoot. And it auto blips on the down changes!
I'm like a kid whose just discovered the joy of a cigarette card in his bicycle spokes!
You’re making me jealous mate! QS AND an autoblipper 😵‍💫 I have an up QS only on the Aprilia & bugger all on the KTM 😩

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Well I had to do a full wheel strip down and wound up replacing an unrepairable inner tube. Fortunately the cover itself is pretty good with plenty of tread left. Quite pleased how quickly it went and everything returned to full pressure.

At my age I don't take chances. I'm lost without my sack trolley.

half ton

Legendary Knight
Well I had to do a full wheel strip down and wound up replacing an unrepairable inner tube. Fortunately the cover itself is pretty good with plenty of tread left. Quite pleased how quickly it went and everything returned to full pressure.

At my age I don't take chances. I'm lost without my sack trolley.
I had a puncture a couple of days ago, I'm waiting to see if the boss will wear a full replacement for one of the weird puncture proof wheels from screw fix, A gardener and his wheelbarrow are joined at the hip:cry:

Bad Billy

Piemantino Rossi
I can't get my head around how such a device would work effectively in all leak scenarios?
Unless the entire engine was fully enclosed. Which would obviously limit air flow.
i.e. if the leak happened at the bottom of the engine. The catchment area would only need to be sealed to a height of say 10" to allow for the oil sloshing about.
But what if the leak happened right at the top of the engine 6" or so below the tank? 🤔
As I said earlier, my experience has been that not all the oil gets captured when an engine let’s go, but most of it does. It is part of the ACU training to get a race licence is to get the hell off the track as soon as you are aware of a mechanical issue. Unfortunately some riders don’t seem as aware of a motor shitting itself as they should!

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
As I said earlier, my experience has been that not all the oil gets captured when an engine let’s go, but most of it does. It is part of the ACU training to get a race licence is to get the hell off the track as soon as you are aware of a mechanical issue. Unfortunately some riders don’t seem as aware of a motor shitting itself as they should!
They should get you to fit sanitary towels or nappies on the inside of the fairing/bellypan.
It wouldn't add much weight & they'd do a great job of soaking up any fluid leaks 🙂

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck

Fair play to you @Public Enemy
👍👍👍🦆

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Here's a question for the brains trust - Could contamination, such as oil or something else, reaching the cylinders cause a bike to run really badly or even refuse to run at all? I've been fighting with the Daytona for a while now as she started running really lumpy and then refusing to run at all. Changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, coil packs, injectors, throttle position sensor and throttle bodies for spare used ones and changed the Sparkers for another used set that had been good when last used to no avail although that did get her running for a brief few seconds, albeit very lumpy. IACV stepper motor seemed to be working OK so I was flummoxed. As a last ditch tonight I pulled the plugs and, recalling an old trick, hit them with a blowtorch, drained the tank and put a few pints of fresh fuel I had picked up from the petrol station t'other day in. She started and kept on running and now sounds like she is back to normal although the tick-over is a little ropey but that should reset if the engine is run up to operating temperature at idle.