What have you done to your bike today....

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Well it seems I was premature in thinking that contaminated fuel was the problem with the Daytona as she is back to refusing to start. I'm pretty much left with either the ECM going on the fritz or something else that you wouldn't think could be the problem. I am reaching the point of making the fecker 'disappear' and cursing myself for not having flogged her off or traded her for something else when I've been thinking about it since before the start of the year.

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Well it seems I was premature in thinking that contaminated fuel was the problem with the Daytona as she is back to refusing to start. I'm pretty much left with either the ECM going on the fritz or something else that you wouldn't think could be the problem. I am reaching the point of making the fecker 'disappear' and cursing myself for not having flogged her off or traded her for something else when I've been thinking about it since before the start of the year.

What error codes are you getting?

I've got a list for a Daytona 955i if you want it - got it off the FB 955i group.

DS

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
That's one of the problems @Doc Strange I'm not getting any error codes at all. As far as the ECM is concerned it thinks that everything is just hunky dory. I am wondering if the IACV stepper is duff after all as, although it seems to be working. I have had a stepper on the Sprint RS that appeared to be working but the bike wouldn't run until I replaced it with a new one. After that experience I would never buy a used one but new ones are eighty odd quid apiece.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Oh, end of last year, beginning of this I was thinking a lot about selling the Daytona or swapping it for a 90's carb'ed Daytona, Sprint, Trident or T'bird and I bloody well wish I had! This just re-enforces my lack of faith in electrickery! I can now say that I think the IACV stepper motor is knackered as I swapped it over with the one on my Sprint RS which was replaced only a thousand miles or so ago. The Daytona still wouldn't started but, with the Daytona's stepper in the Sprint it started, ran for about thirty seconds, died and wouldn't re-start and I then re-fitted it's stepper motor and it started straight off the button. Feckin electronic shit!

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Oh, end of last year, beginning of this I was thinking a lot about selling the Daytona or swapping it for a 90's carb'ed Daytona, Sprint, Trident or T'bird and I bloody well wish I had! This just re-enforces my lack of faith in electrickery! I can now say that I think the IACV stepper motor is knackered as I swapped it over with the one on my Sprint RS which was replaced only a thousand miles or so ago. The Daytona still wouldn't started but, with the Daytona's stepper in the Sprint it started, ran for about thirty seconds, died and wouldn't re-start and I then re-fitted it's stepper motor and it started straight off the button. Feckin electronic shit!
It sounds like you've found the fault though Marty 🙂

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Not 100% convinced as it shouldn't totally inhibit starting. Worth a clean and check the connecting terminals though.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
I paid just over £1500 for my sprint and spent a small fortune after that on getting her raised back up to original height setting which was £475 I think and then one thing after another...
I was exactly where you are now with your bike..
No matter how much time effort and money you throw at it I don't think the situation will get much better for you mate...
I should have cut my losses and sold it when I had the chance..
I ended up getting £300 for it..
I do miss the bike and the tinkering..However its an expensive lesson learned...
You should consider the possibility which it sounds like you are of just cutting your losses and getting rid...
I'm learning that once these particular bikes start playing up like yours and mine it's a common story it's the beginning of the end...🦆

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
That's one of the problems @Doc Strange I'm not getting any error codes at all. As far as the ECM is concerned it thinks that everything is just hunky dory. I am wondering if the IACV stepper is duff after all as, although it seems to be working. I have had a stepper on the Sprint RS that appeared to be working but the bike wouldn't run until I replaced it with a new one. After that experience I would never buy a used one but new ones are eighty odd quid apiece.
Been there..Done all thst replacing hoses IACV and the rubber seal..All worked fine and lots of helpful advice and tips as I'm sure you all remember and the bike would work fine for a while and then back to square one....
If you get it running get rid soon as I'd advise...🦆

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
While part of me wants to chuck a match at it and walk away another part of me wants to fight the bastard and not let it defeat me. At the moment the cussed 'this ain't gonna beat me' part is still strong. One thing I have learned watching programs on telly where 'experts' try to get old bikes and cars running is that there seems to be a degree of black magic about the whole business.

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
While part of me wants to chuck a match at it and walk away another part of me wants to fight the bastard and not let it defeat me. At the moment the cussed 'this ain't gonna beat me' part is still strong. One thing I have learned watching programs on telly where 'experts' try to get old bikes and cars running is that there seems to be a degree of black magic about the whole business.
A lot of problems @MartytheMartian is with all this eco crap fitted to vehicles, suck, squeeze, bang, blow, and it was easier to fathom out, remember the good old days when it was all vented to atmosphere instead of being re-routed back through some valve or sensor and you could look and see an engine instead of a mass of piping and add on sensors.

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Totally agree @Don the Don At one time bikes didn't have sensors at all now mine has an Intake Air temperature sensor, Ignition coil sensors, O2 Sensor, Throttle position sensor, and half a dozen others and it's the sensors that screw up rather than the things they are there to sense.
And its these things that can leave you stranded, at least on old motors you could fettle them with luck to hobble home