What have you done to your bike today....

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
That's what I love about the 790 Bonnie's. The electrickery is minimal, no more really than you would find on an eighties bike.
Just as well it's minimal as it was the one weak point. Those Gill electrics were not great.....

I have no issue with sensors and controls. It's the diagnostic suite you need to test them that pisses me off! Just remind yourself how old the Daytona actually is ,and remind yourself how much better shape you were in 25 yrs ago. Time waits for no manifold.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
But the Bonnie's are slightly older and they are in perfect shape where with the Daytona, the plastic tank is showing slight bubbling, the reg/rec needed replaced, the tank coupling were fecked and, quite frankly I feel the two products are of radically different quality. I agree with you on the coils but, having said that, I think I had to swap coils on every jap bike I ever owned and they were generally about ten years old when I got them compared to the 21 years of the Bonnie's.

chas

Legendary Knight
But the Bonnie's are slightly older and they are in perfect shape where with the Daytona, the plastic tank is showing slight bubbling, the reg/rec needed replaced, the tank coupling were fecked and, quite frankly I feel the two products are of radically different quality. I agree with you on the coils but, having said that, I think I had to swap coils on every jap bike I ever owned and they were generally about ten years old when I got them compared to the 21 years of the Bonnie's.
I hear you. Whilst I've never swapped a coil out on a bike, strangely, the appeal of bikes for me, to a degree, has been their mechanical simplicity. Gravity feed to a carb, like @Don the Don said above, you needed a catastrophic failure like a rod through a case to stop you making it home.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
It's a pity there isn't a carb conversion for the 955i motor as I reckon that the engine itself is pretty sweet and tough. I'm just back from throwing my Sprint around the countryside and she is sweet as a nut. The wail as the revs rise, the pull as the power comes in, even the engine braking when you drop the throttle are really sweet and the package is let down by the frailty of all the bleedin electrickery. If they had worked a bit harder at the design and materials choices they could have created a 'classic' sports bike that would be held in high esteem well into the future like a Fireblade, GSXR or R1.

chas

Legendary Knight
It's a pity there isn't a carb conversion for the 955i motor as I reckon that the engine itself is pretty sweet and tough. I'm just back from throwing my Sprint around the countryside and she is sweet as a nut. The wail as the revs rise, the pull as the power comes in, even the engine braking when you drop the throttle are really sweet and the package is let down by the frailty of all the bleedin electrickery. If they had worked a bit harder at the design and materials choices they could have created a 'classic' sports bike that would be held in high esteem well into the future like a Fireblade, GSXR or R1.
The engine is the reason we put up with these bikes. Def one with a soul.

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight

The thing is the Daytona 955i produces 148BHP, and was designed to be light and flickable - it wasn't designed to last forever and be tinkered on at home, hence its foibles.

You can tell I'm in a forgiving mood :)

Finished bleeding the brakes on my Dayt today and took her out for a spin to check they were working OK.

They were - from a variety of speeds including north of 3 figures :)

However, I am glad I've got the GS too as I wouldn't want the Dayt at 20+ years old as my only ride.

DS

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
I wouldn't expect it to last forever @Doc Strange but, with only seventeen thou on the clocks and no signs that it ever saw rain and has lived a sheltered life I wouldn't expect it to have so many problems.
Maybe it was a Friday afternoon job, us Brits were good at making them.........just saying, My take get it running and wave goodby if you don't have confidence in it you will never be happy...........Not that being Happy is one of your strong points @MartytheMartian

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Well, as you might have gathered, I'm an ornery bastard and so I want to figure this out and, if I do, it's one more thing that I will know how to take care of if it happens again. I'm not a big fan of chopping and changing on the whole and would rather take what I got and figure out as much as I can about it and how it ticks and then ride the bloody wheels off it. Spent a couple of hours last night poring over the Triumph workshop manual and seeing if I could glean anything. I know she's getting spark, I know she's getting fuel and, even if the IACV isn't performing correctly I know how to get her air so I am guessing that somehow it's the timing of the ignition that is off. I have another ECM (From a sprint but same unit) that I can reprogram for the Daytona and I will need to check the camshaft position sensor. If the sensor checks out and the ECM doesn't cure it the I will need to inspect the 'gear' that the crank position sensor reads and, after that it's a slog through all the bloody electrics looking for possible breaks or shorts. According to the diagnostic tables in the workshop manual every single piece of electronic equipment should flag up a fault code if it isn't function correctly but clearly that is a load of pish. Worst comes to the worst I'll take the engine and running gear from my Sprint, bung it into the Daytona and have myself a fully faired Aston Green Speed triple.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Checked with my wee handheld reader and with TuneECU on my laptop and both report no faults and TuneECU has let me play about with testing injectors, the TPS and the IACV so I think it's working OK. Something finicky and difficult to find is at work here which is the worst kind of bugger to deal with. I guess I just need to go through physically checking the sparkers, and Injectors again then, if nothing crops up, swap the ECM for my spare then check the valve clearances although I really don't see that being the problem and then, if that doesn't show anything I will have to go through the wiring loom looking for faults. Fun Fun Fun!

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Is there an external cam chain tensioner? If so, is it functioning correctly or could the timing have slipped?

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Another thing I will need to check Jez although I don't think that the problem lies there. There is an external camchain tensioner and it's also easy enough to check that the timing is in order if I have to go in and check the valve clearances.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Broken record here. Have you flushed the entire fuel system and emptied/re-filled the tank? There could be a very simple reason it won't ignite even with fresh fuel on top. Likewise blocked injectors won't necessarily throw up a fault code. Repeat stop, start dries gum in injectors that never get the flush of a protracted run with fresh thinning fuel.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Ah when I said the sparkers @chas I didn't mean the plugs themselves (which are those irridium numbers and fairly fresh) but actually the coil packs to make sure they are sending a spark. The ECM is supposed to monitor them and report their failure but, like everything else, it would seem that they can fail without the ECM recognising it. Last time I only checked one of the coils (Number one cylinder) and there was a health spark coming through. I am actually wondering if over fueling could be the problem as most times when I have pulled the plugs (admittedly after quite a few turns on the starter) they have been wet with fuel. I suspect that, if some sensor was sending the ECM a faulty signal leading it to up the injection rate that could end up flooding the engine and the computer would think there was nothing wrong.

@Sarky B’stard Yes I have drained the entire system, even removed and checked the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and made sure the filter was clear and functioning fine and emptied any fuel that was hiding in the fuel rail before putting some fresh fuel straight from the filling station a week ago, in with no joy.