What have you done to your bike today....

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Here's a question for the brains trust - Could contamination, such as oil or something else, reaching the cylinders cause a bike to run really badly or even refuse to run at all? I've been fighting with the Daytona for a while now as she started running really lumpy and then refusing to run at all. Changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, coil packs, injectors, throttle position sensor and throttle bodies for spare used ones and changed the Sparkers for another used set that had been good when last used to no avail although that did get her running for a brief few seconds, albeit very lumpy. IACV stepper motor seemed to be working OK so I was flummoxed. As a last ditch tonight I pulled the plugs and, recalling an old trick, hit them with a blowtorch, drained the tank and put a few pints of fresh fuel I had picked up from the petrol station t'other day in. She started and kept on running and now sounds like she is back to normal although the tick-over is a little ropey but that should reset if the engine is run up to operating temperature at idle.
I also did all you have done on my sprint but also replaced fuel rail and injectors..
In the end after all thst our @Scrappy turned up with a tune ECU malarkey me Bob and reset the ECU map and it ran brilliant after that...🦆

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Here's a question for the brains trust - Could contamination, such as oil or something else, reaching the cylinders cause a bike to run really badly or even refuse to run at all? I've been fighting with the Daytona for a while now as she started running really lumpy and then refusing to run at all. Changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, coil packs, injectors, throttle position sensor and throttle bodies for spare used ones and changed the Sparkers for another used set that had been good when last used to no avail although that did get her running for a brief few seconds, albeit very lumpy. IACV stepper motor seemed to be working OK so I was flummoxed. As a last ditch tonight I pulled the plugs and, recalling an old trick, hit them with a blowtorch, drained the tank and put a few pints of fresh fuel I had picked up from the petrol station t'other day in. She started and kept on running and now sounds like she is back to normal although the tick-over is a little ropey but that should reset if the engine is run up to operating temperature at idle.
To cure my ropey tick over I adjusted the throttle control valve I think it's called by hand and it worked a treat 🦆

Last edited:

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
When did it last get fresh fuel and a good run? Old fuel loses its most volatile fractions first and a bike kept in an unheated shed over winter will experience cycles of condensation that will sink as water to the lowest point in your fuel system.

Bad Billy

Piemantino Rossi
Sounds like it was shit fuel that might have gone off to me?

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
@Sarky B’stard I filled her tank to the brim late last year and was letting her run up to temperature at least once a fortnight. Although the shed she's in isn't heated as such I had a small radiator in right next to her set to keep the temperature a couple of degrees above freezing in an attempt to ward of the risk of bubbles in the paint (which seems to have worked). She was starting and running fine up 'til about a month ago when she became hard to start and, when she did start seemed to be running on two cylinders. About a fortnight ago she stopped starting altogether and rarely even fired. Given that she would only start after I changed the plugs or blowtorched them it seems to me that something in the fuel was stopping the plugs from igniting the fuel. As to what that is I am clueless. That's not to say that she is now cured by changed fuel and cleaning the plugs. I will need to run her tomorrow several times to see if she behaves herself. If she doesn't all I can assume is that I have some really mean bugger of an intermittent fault somewhere.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
@Sarky B’stard I filled her tank to the brim late last year and was letting her run up to temperature at least once a fortnight. Although the shed she's in isn't heated as such I had a small radiator in right next to her set to keep the temperature a couple of degrees above freezing in an attempt to ward of the risk of bubbles in the paint (which seems to have worked). She was starting and running fine up 'til about a month ago when she became hard to start and, when she did start seemed to be running on two cylinders. About a fortnight ago she stopped starting altogether and rarely even fired. Given that she would only start after I changed the plugs or blowtorched them it seems to me that something in the fuel was stopping the plugs from igniting the fuel. As to what that is I am clueless. That's not to say that she is now cured by changed fuel and cleaning the plugs. I will need to run her tomorrow several times to see if she behaves herself. If she doesn't all I can assume is that I have some really mean bugger of an intermittent fault somewhere.
I very strongly suspect you have answered your own question. The fuel wasn't vapourising/atomising at all readily. That smacks of evaporation over time and a certain amount of water content. If there was ethanol in the fuel that absorbs water and will again be inclined to sink. It's the classic winter bogey of bio fuels sinking to the .lowest point in the system and failing to ignite if they don't first freeze!

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Here's why I am currently potless.
Bought this, and sold the GSXF 1100. There was a bit of a difference in price!
First (600) mile service on Tuesday, then I can give it a bit more stick.
It's a Yamaha Tracer 9GT.
Planning to do the NC 500 in June, and this should be perfect for the job.
Annie will stay tucked up in the shed for high days and holidays.

View attachment 16693View attachment 16694

Sweet - have plenty of fun with the new toy!

DS