What have you done to your bike today....

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
@BAD LUCK DUCK Afraid I have kept quiet up 'til now as I don't like offering advice from a distance when I can't get 'hands-on' with the problem and any advice can be lost or become confused when passing over the internet. I fee that it might be an idea to point out something though that might be worth looking into.

Before your bike went dead you had been re-jigging your wiring loom around the front end of your bike at a time when the weather was, shall we say, rather inclement. I wonder if it may be that you are looking in the wrong place on your bike for the problem and, just perhaps, the problem lies in one of the connections around the front end of the bike? It is entirely possible that a solder joint or connection that was just holding together could break due to water freezing, expanding and breaking the connection. The first rule of trying to solve a problem is to thoroughly examine events prior to the problem to see if there is a connection (cause and effect) between them and the problem even if it seems to be in an entirely different area.
Thought that myself and stripped all the tape and everything off..All those wires look rock solid..I keep going over everything again and again thinking I must of overlooked something but I just can't see what...
I think sometimes you do something so many times it becomes routine and that's when complacency can sometimes kick in...I'm thinking I can't see the woods for the trees at the moment..

smib

Legendary Knight
I came to the party quite late on this post (as only recently joined), looking back from post #1, didn't realise this was a total refurb with so many joints of varying types of method (and hmmmm quality?).
Realistically I would have to check each connection (against the circuit diagram) that you have repaired, for continuity with a digital multimeter. An analogue meter is ok, but not the best for high resistance issues.
Visual inspection cannot really confirm the integrity of the circuit!

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
I came to the party quite late on this post (as only recently joined), looking back from post #1, didn't realise this was a total refurb with so many joints of varying types of method (and hmmmm quality?).
Realistically I would have to check each connection (against the circuit diagram) that you have repaired, for continuity with a digital multimeter. An analogue meter is ok, but not the best for high resistance issues.
Visual inspection cannot really confirm the integrity of the circuit!
I don't go so much for looking pretty when it comes to wiring..I have tried to purchase decent quality male/female connectors but after several purchases I found everything to be low quality crap probably from china and the connections were lousy...so I decided to just solder everything which is quite difficult when the wires are all in awkward positions on the bike...
So I've become more of if its functional and does the job it will do...
Undoubtedly in future this will lead to more problems and frustration...
However right now im flummoxed with what should be relatively simple..Bypass seems to be the way forward for now with the current issue...

smib

Legendary Knight
I don't go so much for looking pretty when it comes to wiring..I have tried to purchase decent quality male/female connectors but after several purchases I found everything to be low quality crap probably from china and the connections were lousy...so I decided to just solder everything which is quite difficult when the wires are all in awkward positions on the bike...
So I've become more of if its functional and does the job it will do...
Undoubtedly in future this will lead to more problems and frustration...
However right now im flummoxed with what should be relatively simple..Bypass seems to be the way forward for now with the current issue...
Don't give up mate. The wiring on your bike is not overly complicated, and the fault is probably very simple. You will kick yourself when you find it.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
I've come to a decision and have taken affirmative action as I can't carry on with the current motorbike and getting to work situation as it is...
Its not possible to do a half decent job and get my bike how I would like it when I'm working to restricted time allocation and having to do patch up and keep it going for now policy...My bike will be put back together and put under a heavy duty rain cover until a time when I can come up with a realistic proper plan to strip it down and rebuild it in a way that I would really like with no pressure to get it on the road ASAP....

Public Enemy

Enforcer
Staff member
I've come to a decision and have taken affirmative action as I can't carry on with the current motorbike and getting to work situation as it is...
Its not possible to do a half decent job and get my bike how I would like it when I'm working to restricted time allocation and having to do patch up and keep it going for now policy...My bike will be put back together and put under a heavy duty rain cover until a time when I can come up with a realistic proper plan to strip it down and rebuild it in a way that I would really like with no pressure to get it on the road ASAP....
I reckon there will be a collective sigh of relief around here, as that should help your health and wellbeing. And, as you say, having time to work on something makes all the difference. Good choice, even if circumstances did force it on you. :)

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Good move Duck 👍
Let us know if any of us live near a bike you need a close up opinion on?

half ton

Legendary Knight
Got a call from Redshift that my alloy mudguard and rear light for the Matchless were in,So down I go and fetch em,Quality looks good so well happy,The best bit though was the conversation I had with him about the callipers,Shot home and returned with one on mine as I thought they were P9's ...turns out they are more than likely P8's which were also fitted to some Moto Guzzi's and I can get the overhaul kits from Gutsibits online ,RESULT as I was beginning to think they were unobtanium ,Just got the Magura master cylinder to sort and brakes will be done 😃