What have you done to your bike today....

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Yep, contrary to a lot of people's belief the idle hoses aren't necessary in order for the bike to run or even idle at roughly the right or at least at an acceptable rpm but not having the Idle valve in the system does mean that you essentially have an air leak to the cylinders after the throttle bodies so the ECU will be pumping more fuel than necessary into the engine as the Lambda sensor (if it's working) will be telling the ECU that the motor is running leaner than it should be. The main sign that the hoses are duffed is that, if you whack the throttle open and then drop it you should get some very loud bangs and pops out of your zorsts and, in the dark that will include blue and orange flames from your end can. I believe that the ECU should compensate to the extent that it prevents the motor from actually running too lean but high fuel consumption will result. I gather that, by the time the 1050 motor appeared Triumph had replaced the IACV stepper with a solenoid actuator that simply adjusts the stop on the throttle bodies rather than having a by-pass in the system. A much better idea than these damn stepper motors.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Congratulations on your dogged determination! It certainly sounds like progress.

Going non standard throws away the emissions control rule book that got it through the type approvals and will have taken it from lean running at low rpm to something fruitier. The tests aren't exactly secret so the tip over rev range is well understood and why so many efi bikes stumbled off idle when the throttle was banged open. Almost all 'progress' since has been about refining the control system sensors to smooth fuelling for an arbitrary emissions test point.

This might help when next you scratch your bum in contemplation.

GPT100

Sword of Fenrir
After just avoiding being crushed by theT100 when I was getting it out of the shed ( me legs are not what they used to be), I have traded it in for a 2021 Honda CB500f,much lighter bike with enough performance to suit me.
I pick the bike up on monday, its going to be emotional as ive had the Bonnie for 10 years :cry:.
I`ll be selling some bits for the Bonnie, alcantara gel seat , K&Q seat and a back rest.
I have some foot rest lowering plates for free if they of use to any one , just PM me and I will send them on.

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
After just avoiding being crushed by theT100 when I was getting it out of the shed ( me legs are not what they used to be), I have traded it in for a 2021 Honda CB500f,much lighter bike with enough performance to suit me.
I pick the bike up on monday, its going to be emotional as ive had the Bonnie for 10 years :cry:.
I`ll be selling some bits for the Bonnie, alcantara gel seat , K&Q seat and a back rest.
I have some foot rest lowering plates for free if they of use to any one , just PM me and I will send them on.
Happy new bike @GPT100 it comes to all of us I have come from large Adventure bikes [top heavy] to a Bonnie and a Bullet, the fact is mate you still have a bike, best of luck with it and let us see a pic of it when you can, also a few pics of the items from the Bonnie may not go amiss.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Footrest lowering plates for a Bonnie? I have always found the standard position pretty comfy even though I'm no shorty.

As Don the Don says, some pics would be good. I am in the market for a new seat myself though not a K&Q or a backrest (sacrilege on a British bike!) and it's always nice to ogle some parts Oo er Missus!

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
The King & Queen seat for the Bonnie is waaaaay more comfy than the standard seat. Mind you, so is sitting a dry stone wall in a thong (so I'm told 😗)

But it's a ugly fecker that looks like it belongs on a Hardly Ableson, not a beautiful British bike.

GPT100

Sword of Fenrir
Footrest lowering plates for a Bonnie? I have always found the standard position pretty comfy even though I'm no shorty.

As Don the Don says, some pics would be good. I am in the market for a new seat myself though not a K&Q or a backrest (sacrilege on a British bike!) and it's always nice to ogle some parts Oo er Missus!
I got them after I had a knee replacement couldnt get me foot on the foot peg .

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Well, so far the Daytona continues to start off the button although I haven't had her out yet. I had to replace the indicators as, when I was cleaning, T-cutting and polishing the front fairing side panels I discovered that the left-hand indicator had a crack through it's stalk and was hanging by a thread. I was going to replace it with another standard one but decided that, as I had a set of mini LED ones lying around from the black Sprint I scrapped, I would bung those on instead. Had to hunt through my spares for the LED flasher unit (handily it is bright red) and I had to dismantle the tail unit to get at the leads for the rear indicators but, apart from that and hunting for one of the LED flashers for half an hour before discovering it in my bloody pocket everything was straightforward. Just got to get her booked in for MOT so I can get her back on the road.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
I've decided my Suzuki needs an easy fit/remove screen. IMHO, the stripped down Streetfighter look is mega cool. But it doesn't lend itself to high speed use all that well.
So I ordered a screen to chop about a bit. In the hope of making it look OEM (ish) when fitted. But easily removed when not required.
It arrived today & there has been much highly technical beer mat maths taking place.
I think that by this time tomorrow it could be loosely bodged into position? 😗 😉

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
The Dunlop's say 41PSI cold.
There is a rather cheap bracket that holds it on but a bit of super glue sorted it out.
Check the owners manual Ron. My guess is it'll say somewhere around 36psi front & 42psi rear.
The pressures stated on the tyre (tire) itself don't take into account the bike they are fitted to.
i.e. the exact same tyres could fit a 200kg Jap bike & a 275kg Hardley Ableson.

Too high pressure in the front. Could explain your lock-up/slide when you were cut off by that SUV recently?

With the front pressure set to 41psi when cold. You could easily see high 40's psi when at operating temperature. That would be far too high mate.