What have you done to your bike today....

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
No cigar I'm afraid. There are indeed many Clachan's but there is only one at the upper end of Loch Fyne. The Gaels tended to use the same descriptors in numerous areas hence there are a number of Tarbet's/Tarbert's as the name simply means a narrow strip of land between two bodies of water such as the strip of land between Loch Long and Loch Lomond or the narrow strip of land between Loch Fyne and the Atlantic Ocean. Then you have the numerous Ben More's as the name simply means 'Big Mountain'.

On a side note I wonder if Clachan, and nearby Cairndow will see somewhat of a growth spurt in the next few years as Scotgold have been doing survey work in upper Glen Fyne and they have stated that they believe there is much more gold in them thar hills than at their mine at Cononish.

Last edited:

smib

Legendary Knight
I used to love port issac....Heard it's changed a lot since I was last there twenty years ago...
We used to visit a lot in the early 80's. It was always a pain to park when visiting.
Now the village harbour is pretty much closed to all but essential traffic.
There is a massive pay n display car park outside the village, and you have to walk down the feckin steep hill in and out when visiting.

Its a victim of its own success. Feckin Doc Martin!

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
No cigar I'm afraid. There are indeed many Clachan's but there is only one at the upper end of Loch Fyne. The Gaels tended to use the same descriptors in numerous areas hence there are a number of Tarbet's/Tarbert's as the name simply means a narrow strip of land between two bodies of water such as the strip of land between Loch Long and Loch Lomond or the narrow strip of land between Loch Fyne and the Atlantic Ocean. Then you have the numerous Ben More's as the name simply means 'Big Mountain'.

On a side note I wonder if Clachan, and nearby Cairndow will see somewhat of a growth spurt in the next few years as Scotgold have been doing survey work in upper Glen Fyne and they have stated that they believe there is much more gold in them thar hills than at their mine at Cononish.
Hamlet? Cigar? Was I too subtle? Were you too far down the bottle?

My Dad teased me as Canmore. Great Chief? No, Big Head!

Bad Billy

Piemantino Rossi
Been in the garage all day fettling & making new lower fairing mounts, now all bodywork back on & she’s ready to go. Started first push of the starter, not bad after being idle since last race in September.
Have a look at the stuff on the bench getting the V Twin treatment when I blip the throttle! 😂
That was a waste of time then!

Track day on March 22nd won't happen, looks like the first time I will ride this year will be at test day for Brands race weekend, not ideal but restrictions & work commitments mean I just won't get a trackday in.

I had left the coolant in the system as it's fine for track days but you need to have just distilled water for racing, I prefer coolant as it a) doesn't freeze and b) has lubricating properties for the water pump. So will need to take the bodywork back off & change to distilled water.

chas

Legendary Knight
That was a waste of time then!

Track day on March 22nd won't happen, looks like the first time I will ride this year will be at test day for Brands race weekend, not ideal but restrictions & work commitments mean I just won't get a trackday in.

I had left the coolant in the system as it's fine for track days but you need to have just distilled water for racing, I prefer coolant as it a) doesn't freeze and b) has lubricating properties for the water pump. So will need to take the bodywork back off & change to distilled water.
Does it have to be distilled or is that just your pref? I always mix up coolant with distilled water on any vehicle i give a shit about

Judd Dredd

Merlin, Giver Of Drugs & Magic Potions.
Staff member
Cover off, disconnected charger, wheeled into sunlight, key into ignition, turn to first point..... lights/gauges on and fuel pump into life..... few seconds then next turn.......

Life..... after 18 weeks sat in the corner expected it to take more than one short turn of the key.....

Anyway, let it run for a few minutes before a cheeky ride round the village to loosen her up before getting her MOT booked in

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
I'm afraid I wasn't sharp enough @Sarky B’stard and totally missed the Hamlet connection. When I think cigar I must admit that Hamlet isn't the first name that comes to mind although I have occasionally smoked them in the past. For a small gauge cigar I tended to prefer Panter

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Clutch cable on, so just need to put tank on and check everything is running fine now.

Then bodywork back on and job's a good un!

Also had a result dealing with the brake guard issue and having blocked off bars.

Managed to get a brake guard that fits on 22mm bars, and then got a friendly biker neighbour to machine down a bar end weight for it to fit.

So can now simply swap bar end weight and fit guard when I am doing a trackday :)

DS

IMG_0508.JPGIMG_0520.JPG

chas

Legendary Knight
Clutch cable on, so just need to put tank on and check everything is running fine now.

Then bodywork back on and job's a good un!

Also had a result dealing with the brake guard issue and having blocked off bars.

Managed to get a brake guard that fits on 22mm bars, and then got a friendly biker neighbour to machine down a bar end weight for it to fit.

So can now simply swap bar end weight and fit guard when I am doing a trackday :)

DS

View attachment 4050View attachment 4051
Looks a tidy job 👍