What have you done to your bike today....

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
This winter, having had a very low mileage summer, I am hellbent on riding even if it's feckin' snowing. Gonna fit a bike out with some semi-trail tyres (a pair of Mitas ones already sitting in a corner of the shed waiting to be fitted), don the wet suit and thump around come what feckin' may.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
I left Sidmouth this morning for Ilfracombe, with a couple of stops on the way. It rained on and off, but again I really enjoyed the ride. I used mainly B roads, some A, and a lot of single lane twisties which were fun in places 😬. For quite a bit of the journey I had the roads to myself, which was great.

Saunton Sands
IMG_20220906_124002889_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220906_124023198_HDR.jpg

Woolacombe Bay
IMG_20220906_131154394_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220906_131902865_HDR.jpg

And this is Lee just outside Ilfracombe, which I think is a stunningly beautiful little place. A bit of a dodgy road down to it though, a tight single track with lots of sharp bends, over hanging bushes and trees that need to be avoided or ducked under, and patches of loose gravel, but it's worth it 😊

IMG_20220906_133943212.jpg
IMG_20220906_133936265_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220906_133955887.jpg

chas

Legendary Knight
I left Sidmouth this morning for Ilfracombe, with a couple of stops on the way. It rained on and off, but again I really enjoyed the ride. I used mainly B roads, some A, and a lot of single lane twisties which were fun in places 😬. For quite a bit of the journey I had the roads to myself, which was great.

Saunton Sands
View attachment 20155
View attachment 20156

Woolacombe Bay
View attachment 20157
View attachment 20158

And this is Lee just outside Ilfracombe, which I think is a stunningly beautiful little place. A bit of a dodgy road down to it though, a tight single track with lots of sharp bends, over hanging bushes and trees that need to be avoided or ducked under, and patches of loose gravel, but it's worth it 😊

View attachment 20159
View attachment 20160
View attachment 20161
Brilliant pics mate, when I have the chance to retire I'm going to the coast. Feeds the soul.

chas

Legendary Knight
Fitted the new rectifier and AGM battery this afternoon and lo, she charges!
The Electrex reg/rec *was* ten year old looking through old paperwork but I really think the Li-Ion batt caused a snuff out. I'm going to try to get a refund from sportsbikeshop on the basis that it's not suitable for older vehicles and they list my bike on the fitment list. I did run the Li-Ion for about 3000 miles before the problem appeared so no way of proving the case but I'll see if a 'goodwill' gesture can be levered out of them else I've got an expensive 12v powerbank

Last edited:

smib

Legendary Knight
Fitted the new rectifier and AGM battery this afternoon and lo, she charges!
The Electrex reg/rec *was* ten year old looking through old paperwork but I really thing the Li-Ion batt caused a snuff out. I'm going to try to get a refund from sportsbikeshop on the basis that it's not suitable for older vehicles and they list my bike on the fitment list. I did run the Li-Ion for about 3000 miles before the problem appeared so no way of proving the case but I'll see if a 'goodwill' gesture can be levered out of them else I've got an expensive 12v powerbank
What model battery is it, thought about selling it to get some dosh back?

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
I'm no great techie but tend to avoid being an early adopter of new or immature technology and put li-ion batteries somewhat in that context. Don't get me wrong, my drill uses them but weight is a real issue in a way that is not true of a motorcycle starter battery but IS for an e-bike of car where they have cooling systems for the heat they give off on discharge.
And I think that's my perspective.... they are best sited within a system designed to use them rather than as a substitute where their benefits of smaller size and weight are marginal.
I wait to be corrected!

smib

Legendary Knight
I'm no great techie but tend to avoid being an early adopter of new or immature technology and put li-ion batteries somewhat in that context. Don't get me wrong, my drill uses them but weight is a real issue in a way that is not true of a motorcycle starter battery but IS for an e-bike of car where they have cooling systems for the heat they give off on discharge.
And I think that's my perspective.... they are best sited within a system designed to use them rather than as a substitute where their benefits of smaller size and weight are marginal.
I wait to be corrected!
Cranking amperage is far higher for the same size battery size (in fact a smaller size). Take a "modern" motorcycle Li-oN apart and you will see what I mean. Most are made the same size as the original Lead Acid, purely so they can fit the same hole.

smib

Legendary Knight
"they are best sited within a system designed to use them rather than as a substitute where their benefits of smaller size and weight are marginal"

Also if you are of a lardy arse structure (most of us are?)
Those savings will be substantial