What have you done to your bike today....

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
"they are best sited within a system designed to use them rather than as a substitute where their benefits of smaller size and weight are marginal"

Also if you are of a lardy arse structure (most of us are?)
Those savings will be substantial
Oi!
Get out of our cave & take your voodoo, black magic, anti-christ trickery with you.
This is a local cave for local neanderthals. There's nothing here for you outsiders with your fancy lickmyiron batteries 🧐

Old Nick

Legendary Knight
Fitted the new rectifier and AGM battery this afternoon and lo, she charges!
The Electrex reg/rec *was* ten year old looking through old paperwork but I really thing the Li-Ion batt caused a snuff out. I'm going to try to get a refund from sportsbikeshop on the basis that it's not suitable for older vehicles and they list my bike on the fitment list. I did run the Li-Ion for about 3000 miles before the problem appeared so no way of proving the case but I'll see if a 'goodwill' gesture can be levered out of them else I've got an expensive 12v powerbank
Well done @chas and not a cloud in the sky:)

chas

Legendary Knight
I'm no great techie but tend to avoid being an early adopter of new or immature technology and put li-ion batteries somewhat in that context. Don't get me wrong, my drill uses them but weight is a real issue in a way that is not true of a motorcycle starter battery but IS for an e-bike of car where they have cooling systems for the heat they give off on discharge.
And I think that's my perspective.... they are best sited within a system designed to use them rather than as a substitute where their benefits of smaller size and weight are marginal.
I wait to be corrected!
Some more Relish with your plate of Schadenfreude Sir? :D

smib

Legendary Knight
I very much doubt the weight saving is that important unless you are trying to win the World Superbike championship and I've seen too many video's of LiOn powered things going up in very expensive smoke to want to plumb a Iion battery into my bikes.
TBH I don't think Li-oN as a power source is any more dangerous than any other.
Most of the videos you see on "YouTube" etc that result in fires are caused by improper implementation of the product or "overvolting" of the unit being powered (the motor).

On a secondary thought, I think some of the jobs I have done would have been tiresome using Pb powered hand tools.

I'll get back in my wizards cave😜

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Hmmm I don't need to and so I won't take the chance. I don't mind them on my cordless tools after all the tools can be thrown away with little real financial loss but not in my bikes. As Sarky said I'd rather let other 'early adopters' do all the product testing and, maybe take up the 'tech' later on.

Old Nick

Legendary Knight
Tyres and chain check all good , oil though had to add 150ml:unsure: bit of a mystery where it’s going no oil leaks and no smoke from the exhaust (at idle)had this issue before which I thought the service and valve adjustment 5k ago had sorted

Have to keep an eye on it:(

smib

Legendary Knight
Hmmm I don't need to and so I won't take the chance. I don't mind them on my cordless tools after all the tools can be thrown away with little real financial loss but not in my bikes. As Sarky said I'd rather let other 'early adopters' do all the product testing and, maybe take up the 'tech' later on.
Got my first motorbike Li-oN back in 2016. One of my mates has got the bike and battery. Both working fine. Don't think it's a case of early adoption..... Just better technology.......
Electrickery. Come out of the cave🤣🤣🤣🤣feel the AC/DC

smib

Legendary Knight
I have been zapped by too much AC/DC over the years and I'll stay in my wee mechanical cave with minimal electrickery. Next you'll be promoting getting an EV!
Got a couple of non legal, electric 52v mountain bikes. Never had the slightest interest in an EV. Hopefully with rising cost of energy, compulsory electric vehicles will go on the back burner a bit longer

chas

Legendary Knight
Tyres and chain check all good , oil though had to add 150ml:unsure: bit of a mystery where it’s going no oil leaks and no smoke from the exhaust (at idle)had this issue before which I thought the service and valve adjustment 5k ago had sorted

Have to keep an eye on it:(
That doesn't sound excessive, 80s Kwaks used to be oil hungry (Z1000Js and the like), like you say, just keep an eye on it. I wouldn't worry overly at that level. My 500T Honda (which was the bike that my mate traded for the 500 Dayt you had then found it's way to me about three years later via ownership of one of Phil Manzanos fitters) used to piss out a litre every two days. Only bike to leave a hoooge stain on the pavement outside the Hammy Odeon for the ZZ Top Eliminator gig.

I took the bike out for an evaluation run round the lanes to see if the charging issue is sorted, seems to be so. Nice run out.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Well it was pissing down here for most of today so, going for a spin being out of the question, I went out to the shed to do some work on the Royal Enfield. I removed the 'casquette' (Bit of alloy that serves as the top yoke of the forks and housing for the clocks) from the bike to polish it on the wheel and straighten up the speedo which was fitted a degree or two off which was pissing me off. I had tried to get the bugger off on Saturday but, after removing every bleedin' bolt and nut I could see including the screwed in tops of the forks themselves, the bastard still wouldn't budge so I gave up and went to consult the Royal Enfield fans on t'internet about what I was missing. Well it turned out that the fork legs actually screw into the underside of the casquette and you either use a special tool that's apparently no longer available or a large allen key that goes down inside the top of the fork leg to turn the beggars. That being the case I went to it on Sunday afternoon and I happened to have a big enough Allen Key (it was either twelve or thirteen mm across) and so managed to unwind the forks and remove the casquette. Duly polished and Speedo straightened up followed by re-fitting. After that I needed to loosen and reposition the front brake lever which wasn't quite where I wanted it, went to re-tighten it and that feckin' alloy of the bracket on the handlebar bloody cracked right across. Well that's the bike going nowhere for a few days until I get my hands on another front brake lever bracket. Fortunately Hitchcocks have one on offer that should do the trick.

@Don the Don have you found anyone else apart from Hitchcocks for RE parts? I discovered one online last night called Classic Bike Spare Parts https://classicbikespareparts.com/product-category/royal-enfield-spare-parts-and-accessories/
Their prices seem to be pretty good but are they too good to be true?

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Yesterday went out for a a spin with the new Missus Bad Lady Duck who I'd recruited to use her tiny little hands to change over headlight bulbs...She really comes in handy for such things and I love her enthusiasm for bikes and all things mechanic wise..
My little work colleague and I guess you could say a kind of mate came along for the ride as well..He's funny as fuck on his SV650 especially when he's passing cyclists..He's a fiery little so and so...
Anyway I removed the screen from the bike for a faster bulb change when we got to halfords in Ashbourne..
Got bulbs cheap as bloke in halfords was a biker and I'd 8gone to the motorbike section to buy H7 bulbs which were £5.79 each..However he directed me to the car section where the exact same bulb was under a fiver..just goes to show how they try to rip off bikers...
After spending a bit of time at Ashbourne car park changing bulbs fucking about and answering questions about motorbike stuff we set off for a ride that lasted nearly five hours..we just went all over the place and ended up in Matlock for ice cream...
My missus and him are a nightmare but so funny...
A really good day of motorbiking with good company that appreciate what motorbikes is all about...🦆Screenshot_20220912-074119_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220912-074136_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220912-074148_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220912-074204_Gallery.jpg

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
@Don the Don have you found anyone else apart from Hitchcocks for RE parts? I discovered one online last night called Classic Bike Spare Parts https://classicbikespareparts.com/product-category/royal-enfield-spare-parts-and-accessories/
Their prices seem to be pretty good but are they too good to be true?
Aye I know them and have used them before with no issue, they hail from Smethwick a place I know well near Brum it's the sort of place that has ten times more Indians than cowboys, if you know what I mean and if you flew over the place you would land like this:

1662968680288.png