What have you done to your bike today....

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
It's amazing that this type of problem hasn't been solved by now. I had a cracked sump plug hole on my 1986 GSX750 back in the 90's and, as I recall it was far from a rare problem on bikes. I had to put up with a slow drip as I couldn't find anyone who could weld Aluminium back then and every sump cover I looked at in breaker's had the same problem. Tried 'liquid metal' and araldite but nothing sealed the feckin' thing.

T

The Departed

After adjusted the levers, I went and took her out today as my hands were hurting yesterday. And I wore the new leathers; I'm happy to report I didn't look like Elvis; I had no cramps or tight spots ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Sadly, it originates on the threads.

Will check that out Don - looks a damn good idea!

DS
Is it the sump that’s cracked at the boss or the plug/bolt? If the crack is not too extensive you should be able to seal the threads and washer face with PTFE plumbing tape. You may be able to achieve an oil tight seal without tightening to the point you stress and widen the crack. PTFE is oil inert.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
ooohh that Ducati does look nice @Scrappy

Thanks Don. I'm absolutely loving it, and the sound is incredible, really intoxicating 😁 I had planned to get some termignoni silencers, but I'm not going to bother now because the stock system is brilliant, just a beautiful noise without being stupidly loud. I had never really bothered with blipping for rev matching... until now 😆 it just sounds so fecking awesome 😂

Public Enemy

Enforcer
Staff member
Thanks Don. I'm absolutely loving it, and the sound is incredible, really intoxicating 😁 I had planned to get some termignoni silencers, but I'm not going to bother now because the stock system is brilliant, just a beautiful noise without being stupidly loud. I had never really bothered with blipping for rev matching... until now 😆 it just sounds so fecking awesome 😂
That'll save you a few quid.

Glyn

Legendary Knight
Some obnoxious bastard in my locality has something similar with loud pipes. I have been digging out my spool of piano wire 🤨. It doesn’t actually make it any faster but it offends mightily.
The noise a bike makes is either,heaven or hell. I remember a kh350 owned by a guy at the end of our road.
Every time it went by I was in heaven yet my pop wanted to kill him😀😀😀

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
The noise a bike makes is either,heaven or hell. I remember a kh350 owned by a guy at the end of our road.
Every time it went by I was in heaven yet my pop wanted to kill him😀😀😀
Two guys in my street have cars with crazy loud exhausts. One is a M4 BMW with one of those active (adjustable tone) exhausts.
I think it sounds f#ckin awesome in loud/obnoxious mode! 😍
Unfortunately the majority of our neighbours are well past retirement age & they moan like f#ck about it. Which amuses me immensely 🤣

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Don't do it @Scrappy, it's a trap! 😳
He wants to use you for experimental Covid-19 vaccination trials 🥴
You'll be locked in the attic & only allowed out once per day to have your second head & breasts measured! 😳

:eek: I've always had my worries about anyone in the medical profession 😜

I'm already developing a set of breasts... must lose weight and excercise more 🙁 and a micrometer would be required to measure my second head 🧐

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
You do realise that you are supposed to grow out of a childish delight in annoying other people? I am not so crusty that I don’t appreciate a V8 rumble or a flat plane howl but it is utterly self defeating for the biking fraternity to expect the same tolerance they demand off Joe Public and Mr Plod when they are bouncing their decibels off the valley and village walls because they have effed up a manufacturer’s tune.

Thousands of bikes pass my house over the summer. About 20% are truly objectionable and you recognise the Ducati Dicks, Herniated Harleys and Supersport Screamers long before and after they hove into view. Noise is pollution in its own right and they deserve all the respect they demonstrate: none.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
You do realise that you are supposed to grow out of a childish delight in annoying other people? I am not so crusty that I don’t appreciate a V8 rumble or a flat plane howl but it is utterly self defeating for the biking fraternity to expect the same tolerance they demand off Joe Public and Mr Plod when they are bouncing their decibels off the valley and village walls because they have effed up a manufacturer’s tune.

Thousands of bikes pass my house over the summer. About 20% are truly objectionable and you recognise the Ducati Dicks, Herniated Harleys and Supersport Screamers long before and after they hove into view. Noise is pollution in its own right and they deserve all the respect they demonstrate: none.

If you are referring to me, then you may have missread my post, as I stated that I am happy with stock silencers, and I also stated that they sound nice whilst not being stupidly loud. If you care to check out my old posts on TTF you will see that my Bonneville is fitted with the same Vickers silencers that you used to have on yours, and that my Street Triple came with TORS that I replaced with stock silencers :rolleyes:

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Absolutely aimed at no one in particular and I am conscious of my apparent hypocrisy except I always burbled through residential areas and never knowingly wrang its neck anywhere. The joy of that set up on the Bonnie was all the midrange torque.

Any slight pangs of guilt were assuaged when I bought the Sport and put the stock silencer back on. The vendor admitted it sounded nicer than his much lighter replacement that cost hundreds.... to save a few kg and piss off the neighbourhood?

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Two guys in my street have cars with crazy loud exhausts. One is a M4 BMW with one of those active (adjustable tone) exhausts.
I think it sounds f#ckin awesome in loud/obnoxious mode! 😍
Unfortunately the majority of our neighbours are well past retirement age & they moan like f#ck about it. Which amuses me immensely 🤣

The worst offenders in my area are young oiks in small cars, the same types that have massively amplified bass music systems :rolleyes: