What have you done to your bike today....

chas

Legendary Knight
Looking good, they don't make it easy do they.
When I checked Fowlers for the part number of the eBay rail there was a seat included in the kit but I thought it was 'for illustrative purposes'.
Def 'FFS' moment this morning when I realised that the seat wouldn't close. As it was it was easy to see what bit needed removing, there was a moulding seam that indicated where to cut. I'm guessing the base mould for the pan had a bit added in for Grabrail/Non Grabrail.

I'm pleased I did not fuck it up ;)

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
I take it that Triumph did this sort of thing with all their single/twin seat sports machines. I have seen the single seat hump for the Triumph Sprint RS both with and without a cut out for a rear rack or grab rail and I have seen saddles with and without the same cut-out.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
When I checked Fowlers for the part number of the eBay rail there was a seat included in the kit but I thought it was 'for illustrative purposes'.
Def 'FFS' moment this morning when I realised that the seat wouldn't close. As it was it was easy to see what bit needed removing, there was a moulding seam that indicated where to cut. I'm guessing the base mould for the pan had a bit added in for Grabrail/Non Grabrail.

I'm pleased I did not fuck it up ;)
I think you done really good 👍

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
I suppose I can sort of see their point from a functional point of view although I think a machine set up for single seat looks a bit odd with a rear rack (not a fan of shopping racks on hooligan machinery or any bike to be honest) or being able to quickly remove your seat hump and take a passenger and provide them with something to hold onto other than the pilot bit I think it also must make them a good dollop of cash in aftermarket parts.

chas

Legendary Knight
I suppose I can sort of see their point from a functional point of view although I think a machine set up for single seat looks a bit odd with a rear rack (not a fan of shopping racks on hooligan machinery or any bike to be honest) or being able to quickly remove your seat hump and take a passenger and provide them with something to hold onto other than the pilot bit I think it also must make them a good dollop of cash in aftermarket parts.
I like a grab rail for manhandling the bike around and it's a locus for bungees when carrying shite. I don't often carry a pillion, usually one of the daughters but they (and I) prefer bracing against a grab rail rather than trying to find a bit of riders fat to grab if I am too quick with the throttle

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
I am falling out of love with early 2000's Triumph Sprint RS's. Today I took my black one out for the first time since removing the tank to dry it out and try and get rid of the blisters which was a failure. During that process I had to fix the fuel sender as the wires had snapped off at the base of the unit due to old age. Out today I discovered another 'interesting' problem has now developed. She won't idle intermittently and, if I pull in the clutch and don't keep the revs up she will die on me. I am guessing that the Idle Air Control Valve is rearing it's ugly head.

chas

Legendary Knight
I am falling out of love with early 2000's Triumph Sprint RS's. Today I took my black one out for the first time since removing the tank to dry it out and try and get rid of the blisters which was a failure. During that process I had to fix the fuel sender as the wires had snapped off at the base of the unit due to old age. Out today I discovered another 'interesting' problem has now developed. She won't idle intermittently and, if I pull in the clutch and don't keep the revs up she will die on me. I am guessing that the Idle Air Control Valve is rearing it's ugly head.
Serves you right for not being a monogamist ;)

Tallpaul

Legendary Knight
Also suspect the throttle position sensor.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Thanks for the tip @Tallpaul I will check that out too. I am definitely not a fan of all this computer controlled, fuel injected with a thousand and one sensors nonsense that is the 'modern' motorcycle. Instead of a few hundred 'failure points' it now seems that the average bike has thousands.
I replaced the rubber gasket..Got some hose off Ebay to replace the three IACV hoses which I only just replaced with solid genuine triumph corrugated hose which actually genuinely made a difference but the only real solution to the problem your experiencing now was to manually adjust the throttle position sensor....
You can try reseting it first with tune ecu but that didn't work for me...
Until I did that I had two years worth of problem you got..

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
I rather suspect that it's most likely that I have unwittingly dislodged something given that it had never once had this problem before I took the tank off even though I didn't really touch anything and the only thing that could have been bumped accidentally was the air temperature sensor on the top of the airbox (it's a gen 2 motor and I don't believe the Gen1 had this?). Either that or, given how brittle the wires for the fuel level sender were, that the core of some other wire has broken. I will do some investigation and testing. If the worst comes to the worst I will simply do some substitution testing by swapping parts with my yellow Sprint.