What have you done to your bike today....

Bad Billy

Piemantino Rossi
Sump back on - using one of those Stahlbus drain plugs, cheers for the recommendation @Don the Don !

Put some oil in and now worrying until I check later to see if it has all stayed in.

Exhaust, radiator and oil cooler before hopefully firing it up at the w/e.

Plan to flush the cooling system with some cleaner before refilling.

DS
When changing coolant I generally just stick a hose in the filler cap with the bottom drain hose still off, blast clean water through until what comes out it clean, you'll be amazed at the crud that comes out. Once that's done, drain hose back on & refill with coolant, job's a good'un! :cool:

Bad Billy

Piemantino Rossi
Mine is the 675 R, the new 765 is more refined. I have gone away from the power of needing a 1000cc as our roads are best suited for something you can flick around.
:unsure: I have just hit agree, but have bought a 1290 SD which is a contradiction :oops:, but I had a 765RS & it holds it's own with bigger sports bikes until you get to the longer straights, the 675 is a good bike but the 765 is better everywhere, it's a good choice if you can live without the fire breathing litre plus naked bikes that are available. 🤩

T

The Departed

:unsure: I have just hit agree, but have bought a 1290 SD which is a contradiction :oops:, but I had a 765RS & it holds it's own with bigger sports bikes until you get to the longer straights, the 675 is a good bike but the 765 is better everywhere, it's a good choice if you can live without the fire breathing litre plus naked bikes that are available. 🤩

lol - you weigh more so you need the 1000ccc whereas I can do the same on the 675.

I do fancy the 765 RS from reading up, it's just the moneyyyyyyyyy

Bad Billy

Piemantino Rossi
I do like this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202102249426191? - what's your turning circles fellas? Reports are it's not so nimble as the street for getting around town/commuting/filtering.
Don't know, will have to come back to you on Saturday ;)

The Street is a great bike though, it is light nimble & easy to ride, the KTM is a 1300cc V twin so probably isn't going to be quite as nimble & easy to ride in traffic/filtering, I have ridden a SD 1290 but it was a while ago & wasn't in traffic so some of the other guys will have a better view.

Bad Billy

Piemantino Rossi
My insurance for the street is only £140, can't complain, just humming and arring
When I tried to change bike on my existing Sprint ST policy (£105 fully comp) I was expecting a hike, but they wouldn't insure me, I thought then that I was going to get spanked on the SD, but I cancelled that policy & through MCN compare got fully comp for £146 with MCE, not a bad result?

Flynnt20

Legendary Knight
Finally got around to putting the carb/cylinder head rubbers on the Thunderbird , my friggin hands look like i have tried to drown a tom cat , scratches and nicks everywhere !! Also put the TORS back on , chucked about 2 gallon of fuel in with a tidy glug of redex give it some beans for about 15 mins and pleased to say it now ticks over / idles about 900/1000 rpm sweet as a nut , gonna change the oil and filter tomorrow and ready to go as plugs are 2 years old but only done about 2000 miles so balls to it , they can stay , happy days

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Finally got around to putting the carb/cylinder head rubbers on the Thunderbird , my friggin hands look like i have tried to drown a tom cat , scratches and nicks everywhere !! Also put the TORS back on , chucked about 2 gallon of fuel in with a tidy glug of redex give it some beans for about 15 mins and pleased to say it now ticks over / idles about 900/1000 rpm sweet as a nut , gonna change the oil and filter tomorrow and ready to go as plugs are 2 years old but only done about 2000 miles so balls to it , they can stay , happy days
Nice job @Flynnt20 , it's amazing how much spanner rash you can get working on bikes

Steve 998cc

Legendary Knight
Has anyone got any tips in releaseing siezed pistons in a front brake caliper It's on a 2004 kawasaki Z750 I'm rebuilding last but 1 job forks left to rebuild

Flynnt20

Legendary Knight
I take it the pistons are seized in the open position , ie the brakes are not applied and the wheel can turn ?

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Has anyone got any tips in releaseing siezed pistons in a front brake caliper It's on a 2004 kawasaki Z750 I'm rebuilding last but 1 job forks left to rebuild
Variety of methods from using a grease gun or compressed air (careful!) in bleed nipple with the feed hole plugged to judicious use of plumbing tools like small pipe wrench (Stilton) or, my favourite, water pump pliers to ease back and forth. They’re designed for gripping round things and generally small enough to get in there......

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Is the caliper jammed on the disc or are the pistons just stuck in their cylinders? If stuck on the disc then it might need judicious use of a rubber mallet to try and shift it enough to remove it from the disc. If it's off the bike then I would fill up the master cylinder with brake fluid and use hydraulic pressure to force the pistons out.

chas

Legendary Knight
Is the caliper jammed on the disc or are the pistons just stuck in their cylinders? If stuck on the disc then it might need judicious use of a rubber mallet to try and shift it enough to remove it from the disc. If it's off the bike then I would fill up the master cylinder with brake fluid and use hydraulic pressure to force the pistons out.
Messy, but i've done exactly this. Bodgers in arms 😁