What have you done to your bike today....

Flynnt20

Legendary Knight
The sun was out and the sky was blue today so I went out for a spin around the Cowal area. They could do with fixing the potholes on some of the roads and get rid of the gravel up the middle but it's not hard to find a good view as there is one around nearly every corner. I have to say that the Sprint RS, especially with the large rear cog this one has has searing acceleration when it hits the sweet spot. Handling ain't to shabby either and, apart from this example being a little tatty I can't deny that she is a sweet looking machine! I do have to say though that she is not suited to bumpy, rutted single track road covered in loose gravel and pebbles!

View attachment 5077
Looks mighty fine to me Marty

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Ach it's when you get close and see/feel the bubbles in the paint on the tank and various other purely cosmetic issues. From a distance and at a glance she looks good but I am sure y'all know how it is with owning a machine and, no matter what others think, you see all the wee things that need fixed or tidied up.

Flynnt20

Legendary Knight
Ach it's when you get close and see/feel the bubbles in the paint on the tank and various other purely cosmetic issues. From a distance and at a glance she looks good but I am sure y'all know how it is with owning a machine and, no matter what others think, you see all the wee things that need fixed or tidied up.
Dont know if it would work Marty but i have got some acid etched primer ( not the shite you buy in halfrauds ) that might do the job if you fancy repainting it

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Thanks for the offer @Flynnt20 I am really not sure how you would handle re-painting these damn nylon tanks. I gather they were coated with some sort of barrier layer or base layer, which I imagine probably amounts to a sort of resin 'bubble' around the nylon and my guess would be that they were dipped in it rather than sprayed. Anyone who has tried to paint or glue a greasy plastic like polypropylene or nylon will know that it's a labour that is rarely rewarded. I gather the best way to deal with nylon is to boil it in bloody dye which isn't exactly easy with something the size of a soddin' fuel tank and getting a colour match with anything, even black wouldn't be easy.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Hmmm, that sounds very interesting @Flynnt20 I wonder where I could find out if it works on Nylon. I suppose the only way to find out would be to try it out.
The most convincing thing I have heard about this problem is that it is caused by ethanol and/or water in the fuel. Draining the tank and storing it somewhere warm (cap off) can, over time, completely eradicate the bubbles.

Super unleaded doesn’t contain ethanol so using it exclusively then keeps the problem at bay albeit the bike doesn't ‘need’ it.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
That would be very much appreciated @Flynnt20 I would love to try it and see if it works.

From what I have found in my own research you are absolutely correct about the problem @Sarky B’stard although, drying them out doesn't quite work completely as the bubbles, on mine at least, seem to have stretched the paint/coating and so the places where the bubbles were can be seen as low blemishes. I have also noticed that both my Sprint RS tanks have a strange fine swirling pattern all across the surface visible when light is reflected off them that looks like the paint/coating has suffered some sort of stress and movement over time. Unfortunately Super Unleaded isn't available anywhere less than over thirty miles from me. Provincial stations only carry one flavour.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Went to Castle Bytham today, there is supposed to be some nice views according to my map, I didn't see much worth talking about 😕. On the way home passed by the Welland Valley Viaduct, so had to stop for a picture especially after posting the video yesterday 😄. It was bloody cold today, my bladder didn't appreciate it I had to stop twice for a sneaky piss 😳, but the new gloves worked well hands and fingers were kept toasty.

Somewhere outside Castle Bytham:
IMG_20210402_153314157_HDR.jpg

Welland Valley Viaduct
IMG_20210402_163520852_HDR.jpg

Then a train came over...
IMG_20210402_163548029_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
The Street Triple is running crap after its service :rolleyes: It feels lumpy on low throttle and several times when coming off throttle it cut out :mad:, and not even at slow speed as once occurred when changing down from 4th to 3rd, but started back immediately on pressing the starter :confused:

I'll have to have a little investigate tomorrow...

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Out for another wee spin today though it didn't start out well..... Was planning to use my Sky Blue Bonnie, pulled her out of the shed, started her and let her warm up. Got all kitted up and jumped on, pulled in the clutch, kicked her into gear and she conked out! I suspect the sidestand switch has gone as she will start fine with the clutch out and in neutral. Time to rip those feckin' useless switches out I think. Never ever drove off with my sidestand down in the past so I don't think I need the bloody thing! Anyway, after putting her away again I pulled out old Britt and trotted off out for a wee jaunt round to Inveraray and surroundings. British engineering past and present! The Puffer 'Vital Spark', built as ViC72 in Hull to the classic Scottish Clyde Puffer design and my Britt! Pufferandbonnie.jpg

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Out for another wee spin today though it didn't start out well..... Was planning to use my Sky Blue Bonnie, pulled her out of the shed, started her and let her warm up. Got all kitted up and jumped on, pulled in the clutch, kicked her into gear and she conked out! I suspect the sidestand switch has gone as she will start fine with the clutch out and in neutral. Time to rip those feckin' useless switches out I think. Never ever drove off with my sidestand down in the past so I don't think I need the bloody thing! Anyway, after putting her away again I pulled out old Britt and trotted off out for a wee jaunt round to Inveraray and surroundings. British engineering past and present! The Puffer 'Vital Spark', built as ViC72 in Hull to the classic Scottish Clyde Puffer design and my Britt! View attachment 5093
I know that feeling all too well. Mine let me down on day 2 of ownership a few miles from home with no tools and no idea. I quickly sussed the side stand was seized with rust so blasted in situ with WD40 and wiggled well then a squirt of contact cleaner. The killer treatment was replacing the rubber boot having packed switch and boot with silicone grease (v water resistant) and it needed no other treatment other than an annual inspection. The bolts are a b*****d to access without removing the engine. Don’t bother! You can do the necessary on your belly 🤨

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
As @Sarky B’stard says the name of the boat is 'in honour' of the Vital Spark of the Neil Munro stories that were made into a number of TV Series although this boat was never used to represent her. She did appear on film briefly with Donald Sutherland though in Eye of the Needle in 1981. She was originally built for the Admiralty as ViC (Victualling inshore Craft) 72, along with many others of the coal burning Clyde Puffer design to supply the Royal Navy's Fleet with supplies etc. during WWII. The idea was that fuelled on coal they didn't consume the fuel oil that the Navy needed. After the war they were sold off by the Admiralty and an awful lot of them were bought to take up the role that the original Clyde Puffers served, taking coal and supplies to isolated coastal communities. There is another boat, oddly enough ViC27, now named 'Auld Reekie' which is at Crinan (or she was last time I heard) who did star in the 2004 Para Handy series as the Vital Spark with Gregor Fisher as Para Handy. The writer of the Para Handy tales, Neil Munro was born and brought up in Inveraray and is buried in the graveyard a little to the north of Inveraray by the roadside. Can anyone tell that I have a soft spot for both Clyde Puffers and the writing of Neil Munro? 😁