What have you done to your bike today....

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Well it was minus three outside but if Ron as had problems as well it makes me wonder...
They do work mate, I've used them a few times.

Just did this so I could get pictures, the connectors were brought from Amazon, and I used this heat gun: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VLK9M5Z

Before heat:
IMG_20210108_143841573.jpg

After heat (only took a few seconds, indoors)...
IMG_20210108_150524383.jpg

Not a great picture but the solder had melted and covered all the way around, and it ain't coming apart.

Previously I'd used one of these heat guns below, and that worked but did take longer as the heat wasn't as focused.
41pb+vgYtZL._SY180_.jpg

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
They do work mate, I've used them a few times.

Just did this so I could get pictures, the connectors were brought from Amazon, and I used this heat gun: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VLK9M5Z

Before heat:
View attachment 1644

After heat (only took a few seconds, indoors)...
View attachment 1645

Not a great picture but the solder had melted and covered all the way around, and it ain't coming apart.

Previously I'd used one of these heat guns below, and that worked but did take longer as the heat wasn't as focused.
View attachment 1646

Yeah the thing is that ain't a very realistic situation though....
Most people I know work on a car motorbike or whatever vehicle they have outside...

The other thing is a single wire indoors ain't attached to a vehicle hanging in an awkward position with a dozen other wires in the way...

Therefore for me personally they ain't no use to me or my bike in real world conditions...just not practical....

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Best investment I ever made was in a soldering station. This sort of thing 2 in 1 750W Soldering Iron Station Hot Air Gun Desoldering Rework Digital Solder | eBay the soldering iron is ready way quicker than your standard plug type and you can crank the heat up for bigger solder jobs plus you have a nifty little heat gun as well for your heat shrink and it will even melt solder in small areas where a standard heat gun would melt everything in sight. The heat gun is actually meant for soldering and de-soldering surface mount microchips.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Would your landlady let you put a shed in the garden?
For the right side of £200 you'd have somewhere dry & warm(er) than the patio. To work on your bike.
Already have a shed in the garden for all the wife's gardening stuff...
We can't put anything else up as peak park are very strict on what they allow to be built on the area which we live..So strict in fact that they regularly send aircraft over in the summer months photographing the entire park to make sure no one as put up anything they shouldn't....

Last edited:

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
......errrmmm didn't someone do that in Wales because they were fed up being overflown by Hercs on training? I seem to recall the result was that they flew lower and made more noise.
And use the sign as a marker,
Low flying military aircraft: Where and when low flying happens - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
These days there is less flying training by NATO over UK airspace, but hey the lads don't care pack up and go stateside or anywhere else for a working holiday the growbags [aircrew] don't mind swapping wales for Nevada & Arizona

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
......errrmmm didn't someone do that in Wales because they were fed up being overflown by Hercs on training? I seem to recall the result was that they flew lower and made more noise.
Aye they did.

When we lived in Ayrshire our house was quite prominent, on the shoulder of a hill, 800ft up, painted white. They used to use us as a target, you'd see three of them coming, one peeled left, one right and the centre one came straight at us, then blasted upwards. Pretty obvious it was a camera bombing run.

Never minded though, I'd rather they knew what they were doing and you gots to practice somewhere... But deep in the bowels of raf hq there must be dozens of photos of me giving them the fingers! Used to make a body jump out of your skin if you didn't see them coming!