What have you done to your bike today....

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Well today all I did was fix a scratch on the fairing of my Daytona. All my own work as I was farting around in the shed a few days ago and knocked over the frame from the Sprint RS I stripped down which, of course, fell straight against the righthand front fairing putting a big, deep scratch into it. Bought a wee bottle of touch up paint and clearcoat off ebay which I was surprised to discover was a very good match, even if the paint is so dark that it doesn't really matter too much. I was actually quite impressed that the result was almost invisible and a wee bit more work with rubbing compound should see it being completely invisible. Here is a pic of the squad sitting in their lair. thegang.jpg

chas

Legendary Knight
Well today all I did was fix a scratch on the fairing of my Daytona. All my own work as I was farting around in the shed a few days ago and knocked over the frame from the Sprint RS I stripped down which, of course, fell straight against the righthand front fairing putting a big, deep scratch into it. Bought a wee bottle of touch up paint and clearcoat off ebay which I was surprised to discover was a very good match, even if the paint is so dark that it doesn't really matter too much. I was actually quite impressed that the result was almost invisible and a wee bit more work with rubbing compound should see it being completely invisible. Here is a pic of the squad sitting in their lair. View attachment 6206
Nice shed (y)

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Thanks Chas, I had to really dig deep to pay for the materials and have it built by a local joiner. All the shed folk, who would have been quite a bit cheaper were booked up for six months minimum at the time. It has suffered quite a bit from shrinkage due to the wood being pretty fresh and waterlogged when it was put up so I'm going to have to do some work on it in the near future to fill splits and cracks and seal the wood properly.

chas

Legendary Knight
Thanks Chas, I had to really dig deep to pay for the materials and have it built by a local joiner. All the shed folk, who would have been quite a bit cheaper were booked up for six months minimum at the time. It has suffered quite a bit from shrinkage due to the wood being pretty fresh and waterlogged when it was put up so I'm going to have to do some work on it in the near future to fill splits and cracks and seal the wood properly.
If it's been built decently (sounds like it has) it's a structure that may need maintaining but will stand awhile.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Take note @BAD LUCK DUCK.
Your new toy requires washing if you allow it to get dirty?
Actually I was talking to someone yesterday about the exceptional standard the bike was cleaned and maintained to yesterday..In an attempt to keep it reasonably clean I have not rode it since I picked it up as the weather as just been atrocious...
Before I go back out on it I want to get it super clean an shiny how you had it but no idea how you kept it in such condition or how you got it looking that good in the first place...
I may invest in some Mr Sheen...👍

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Actually I was talking to someone yesterday about the exceptional standard the bike was cleaned and maintained to yesterday..In an attempt to keep it reasonably clean I have not rode it since I picked it up as the weather as just been atrocious...
Before I go back out on it I want to get it super clean an shiny how you had it but no idea how you kept it in such condition or how you got it looking that good in the first place...
I may invest in some Mr Sheen...👍
Believe it or not Duck, I didn't clean the Versys.
I purchased it in that immaculate condition, then barely rode it.
I cleaned the squashed flies off from getting it back from Ipswich. And wiped bits of the bike before/after fitting various accessories.
I guess you could say it had a few minor bed baths that equated to a partial clean.
But it never had a full scrub & a detailing session.
Now you're going to be using it. It'll be extremely hard to keep it in the same spotless condition.
Just do your best mate, without spending more time cleaning it, than enjoying riding it.
TFR & a soft brush is good for getting into the hard to reach places. Then simply hose it off. The finish on those bikes is top notch though. You'd have to really neglect it before it went to seed.
Next time we meet up, I'll give you 500ml of professional grade TFR. It needs to be diluted 100/1. Consequently 500ml = loads of washes 🙂

Edit...
TFR (Traffic Film Remover) is basically what products like Muc-Off are. Without the premium price the manufacturers know bikers are prepared to pay. I purchased 25ltrs of TFR for approx £20 delivered. I'll let you do the maths for how many washes 25,000ml of TFR diluted at a ratio of 100/1 equals.
I put 10ml in a 1ltr plant sprayer & top it up with 990ml of tap water. Give it a shake, spray it on and work it into the particularly dirty bits with a long handled washing up brush. Rinse it off, dry with a microfiber cloth.
Then you could add something like ACF50 as suggested by Doc.

Last edited:

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Well today all I did was fix a scratch on the fairing of my Daytona. All my own work as I was farting around in the shed a few days ago and knocked over the frame from the Sprint RS I stripped down which, of course, fell straight against the righthand front fairing putting a big, deep scratch into it. Bought a wee bottle of touch up paint and clearcoat off ebay which I was surprised to discover was a very good match, even if the paint is so dark that it doesn't really matter too much. I was actually quite impressed that the result was almost invisible and a wee bit more work with rubbing compound should see it being completely invisible. Here is a pic of the squad sitting in their lair. View attachment 6206
That's just plain greedy Marty 😳

Glyn

Legendary Knight
Funny that, never had a problem in mine. I really must be a smart arse then. :FO:
Here’s his M3 and believe me smart arse if the car doesn’t cancel the indicator and you flick to the centre the other side indicator comes on your one must be different if it doesn’t

Attachments

• E54C10F8-BD68-4471-9326-D941FC7E9DB5.jpeg
    E54C10F8-BD68-4471-9326-D941FC7E9DB5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Here’s his M3 and believe me smart arse if the car doesn’t cancel the indicator and you flick to the centre the other side indicator comes on your one must be different if it doesn’t

On my BMW, you don't click back to center, but you click the indicator in the same direction as current to cancel, i.e. down to cancel left, up to cancel right. If his operate the same that would explain why he is turning on the opposite indicator when trying to cancel 🤔

Edit: That was my Z4, on my Series 1 you can click the indicator in either direction to cancel it.

Last edited:

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
On my BMW, you don't click back to center, but you click the indicator in the same direction as current to cancel, i.e. down to cancel left, up to cancel right. If his operate the same that would explain why he is turning on the opposite indicator when trying to cancel 🤔
I'm astonished to hear BMW's are fitted with indicators 😳
Are they on the options list? 😉

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Sadly I think that is true of most cars these days is it not 🤔
I dunno about a particular brand of car being owned by ignorant drivers.
But I have discovered that German manufacturers like to withhold the most basic features & add them to the options list.
An insert for the sliding top cubby-hole thingie on our Merc which turns it into a 2 cup holder. Is an optional extra FFS! 😳

I can live without it but Mrs DD would like one. It's only £50, but I still think it's a pi$$take 🙄

Freck

Legendary Knight

Edit: That was my Z4, on my Series 1 you can click the indicator in either direction to cancel it.
As @Scrappy says, that’s the way to do it @Glyn

Last edited:

Flynnt20

Legendary Knight
Bugger me gents the JB WELD looks to have worked on the Tiger Cub cylinder head , put the Mikuni vm22 on and was a bitch to start , flooding like buggery so took it off and full of little crappy bits so give i a damn good clean and hopefully back on the road in a week or 2

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
I dunno about a particular brand of car being owned by ignorant drivers.
But I have discovered that German manufacturers like to withhold the most basic features & add them to the options list.
An insert for the sliding top cubby-hole thingie on our Merc which turns it into a 2 cup holder. Is an optional extra FFS! 😳

I can live without it but Mrs DD would like one. It's only £50, but I still think it's a pi$$take 🙄
German car manufacturers call the UK Treasure Island. We pay top dollar for minimum spec cars and load them up at exorbitant prices. It’s a matter of choice. I think they’re taking the piss. Having lived in Germany an Opel (Vauxhall) is perceived as minimally inferior to BMW or Audi. We are chronic badge snobs and happily get fleeced. Germans would complain endlessly. With different specs and currency they largely circumvented supposed flat EU pricing......despite rolling down the assembly line with ticks missing from the build card.